Version 2 gearbox high FPS?

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just wondering what I'd need to get a version 2 gearbox to around 450-500 FPS and locked to semi?

Parts list and links would be super helpful, as I have no idea what I'd need..

I'm guessing high-torque motor and gears, obviously a more powerful spring.. what else?

Would a G&P Version 2 gearbox withstand 450-500 FPS (on semi only)?

Thanks.

• Supporters

Planning to turn your M16 into a DMR, or is this along the lines of your mate's M14?

• Supporters

Maybe for my M16.. I've got a spare gearbox, so thinking of getting to 500 FPS, and my mate's now wanting a Barrett. Which is making me want a Barrett, apparently comes shooting 400 FPS, then I'll have 3 version2 gearboxes between 2 guns (M16 & M82), one at 340 FPS, one at 400 FPS and one at 500 FPS.. Good selection then :P

• Supporters

Thanks, rather helpful :).

Not gonna cost as much as I thought actually.

• Supporters

Good guide.

Though it says to use a metal teethed piston, isn't that something people almost always advise against? Or will it be alright since it's going to be used on semi only?

• Supporters

What's the advantages/disadvantages of metal/plastic toothed pistons?

I presume they use plastic so if there's a jam, it's just that that breaks rather than everything else?

• Supporters

Seems logical. I now know what I wanted to know, thanks people :)

• 2 weeks later...
What's the advantages/disadvantages of metal/plastic toothed pistons?

I presume they use plastic so if there's a jam, it's just that that breaks rather than everything else?

You should go for Quantum full metal teeth by Modify or Deep Fire full metal teeth. If you'll put higher rated springs(Stiff) the plastic tooth won't last (the first tooth and the last tooth(near the spring guide) are the ones usually get stripped. It is advisable to change the piston head and spring guide with bearings too.

• Supporters

What difference does a spring guide with bearings make? Don't they just sit still and have a spring slide over them?

What difference does a spring guide with bearings make? Don't they just sit still and have a spring slide over them?

the thrust bearings in the spring guide and the piston head makes the retraction of the spring a breeze, is kinda 'torsion' thing

• Supporters

He might've just meant it's best to replace the piston, spring guide and the bearings.

Archived