Kony 2012.

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

This is doing the rounds on facebook at the moment and I thought everyone here might be interested, mostly cause if you're not, you're heartless and airsofters have the biggest, warmest, fuzziest hearts (true story).

Watch and learn: Kony 2012

Feel free to discuss etc, I'm emailing the creator about getting involved, if you have questions for them, please feel free to post them here. I will be mostly asking them to come speak at Coventry University if they can.

What I'm going to post is potentially controversial, but bear with me.

It's 6 years late for Uganda. (Alternatively, 28 years late for Uganda, since that's when all this crap started and no-one gave a crap)

That's how long the US (and a large number of other nations) have acknowledge that Kony has been out of action, with a severely crippled child army, he himself being pretty ill.

This isn't like Sierra Leone in 2000/2001 where we could and did actively stop an on-going situation - Kony has gone to other areas, which this campaign doesn't want to target. His forces were pretty mauled in 2004 by the Ugandan army.

Other problems - they're actively wanting military interaction. Why is this an issue? It'll mean that Kony will start 'recruiting' more child soldiers to defend his 'cause' (because he clearly isn't going to walk out with his hands up and say "alright, fair cop, you've got me") Also - they're pretty quiet on the problems facing the Ugandan military - mainly, that they're just as guilty of raping and looting as the LRA.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-v...sible-children/

Finius, please don't think I'm saying "this is crap, ignore it, to hell with Uganda".

I'm not. What has happened in Uganda is utterly disgusting and a crime against humanity. But - sadly it's not some super special case. Sadly, it's happened elsewhere in the region. It is still happening in other areas (Congo, Rwanda...)

Support the victims of Kony by all means.

But do it because you feel you have to - not just because someone posted a video on Facebook.

Read more into the topic - the war, the people - and the charities. If you're going to support someone, make sure you have as much information as possible.

Again not everyone is going to like what I'm about to post but I have to agree with Hubert. I just don't think think it's going to acheive much. Firstly the guy that makes the video gets paid a hell of a lot to make those videos and the information seems to have rediculously over exagerated. Also seems more like a youtube and facebook craze rather than people acctualy caring (I'm sure there are plenty that do care however).

As mentioned before this thing is way too late and the worst of it is over and there are far worse things going such as in Syria. And even if you do take this guy out its still gonna be pretty crap out there. US and other forces have been to African countries various times and its still swarming with trouble.

Also the way people are going about spreading the word is pretty annoying. The internet has worked well which is fair enough however a large group of supporters are planning on putting up a load of posters around St Albans one night this weekend. Thanks to that I can look foward to walking through my local area filled with trash because lets face it, it's gonna end up on the floor. Plus my mum is probably gonna have to end up peeling a load of the blasted things off her shop wall. Why not hand the leaflets out instead skulking around during the night.

I'm all for helping people and that but I think there are far more pressing causes and far better charaties out there with much more relaible information. But if you believe its a good cause and your not doing because of facebook by all means go ahead. :)

• Supporters

Agreed i think its funny that people wont wait until December to be charged for criminal Vandalism or the summer atleast so they can blame it on the heat its just folk that want to go out and break or cause an annoyance useless and totally counter productive

I can't find the video but I'm sure there are plenty on Youtube of this whole campaign being picked at and why it is so "hhhhhmmmmm." I'll have to dig out the video because it was quite good, EDIT: Found the video

surely if the west is going to try anything it should be to stabilize the zones that will become problem zones as a top priority, because while these places like uganda and sierra leone are problematic, if places like libya and syria arent stabilized the viiolence and prolems will just spread. it might be hard but any support needs to be prioritized and i dont think some people realize this.

I idea would have been great 10 years ago when Kony was actually in Uganda.

The charity themselves are very questionable, there are far better ways to help children in these places.

To me its a bunch of ignorant people trying to feel like they're doing something and follow a trend

I was going to post Charlie Brooker's little 5 minute 'routine' (not sure of correct term) from last week's Thursday Night Live thing on Channel 4.

But, I wasn't sure if it violate the forum's rules about PG-13 language (it is Charlie Brooker after all :lol:)

Youtube it. (Unless you're under 15, in which case, you didn't read this)

• Supporters

Haha just googled it, Charlie Brooker really is rather amusing to say the least and not to mention completely right.

• Supporters

I find people's opinions on this campaign EXTREMELY interesting. Before people decide to slate me for jumping on the bandwagon, I have read around the issue HUGELY. Most of the information expressed below is actual fact or logical deduction, I have minimalised my opinion.

It appears they're actually achieving their objectives in an extremely clever way, by preying on the stupidity of the average internet user, and despite the accusations that they're funding violence themselves, I'm very pro-conflict when it comes to Africa. If more money was invested in arming people against people like Mugabe and Kony, I'd be a happy man; at the end of the day, the only way Kony or Mugabe will ever leave their positions is in a bodybag; we're not going to do anything, so why not pick a side and support them? I would also add that George W. Bush signed a document promising, and then followed through with providing funding to the same forces (though the IC proprietors saw this as progess, they still felt he was not doing enough)

Having reviewed their financial audits as well, a lot of the accusations regarding their funding seem unfair. Direct contributions to their "cause" are closer to 50%, which, in comparison to similar charities, is perfectly acceptable considering their main objective has always been to publicize their issue, with direct action being a side-mission, about 30% of their budget goes to their main objective (publicity, film, etc). 20% has been spent on non-related costs, which is in-line with British charities for sure.

As for accusations of atrocities caused by their funding choices, let us just look at the American nutter who has just cost us the Afghan war...Some soldiers are nuts, it happens, I'm not saying it's good, but warfare is ugly, no? As a whole, we still support the Afghan coalition against the Taliban, why should it be different in Africa.

My other view, is that within the video, he interviews his child. If a child can agree that someone like Kony should be stopped, why are world powers so reluctant to enforce sanctions etc on the most terrible people in the world? It's made me speculate that actually we DO live in a world where morality is redundant, to the point where I wonder, if there were a second holocaust, would we do anything about it?

With regard everyone producing memes etc on the matter...The only bad publicity is no publicity, they still win. People are still researching Kony and coming to the conclusion that he's a bad person and should be stopped...Have they stumbled on the perfect method right there?

Once again, in some cases, I'm playing devils advocate, or just want to provoke discussion as always. Do NOT take any of the above as a personal opinion, it is merely the fact as far as my own research dictates, my own opinion is far too complex to explain at 4am...

This Kony 2012 thing is still going around facebook even though Kony has left uganda? why are people still talking about this? :huh:

mate, he left uganda years ago

and Finius i to support conflict in africa as to quote BHD " killing is negotiation" but i have issues with the invisible children charity and actually the fact that the Taleban do just as worse things but we should leave afghanistan? and enter uganda? why? the only reason is popularity

This will sound awfully cold hearted but why should we give a toss about all the savages in Syria, Uganda or Buttfuck Missoura?

Let them get on with wiping each other out and solving the overpopulation/food shortage problems.

I'm not a nasty person but I'm sick to the back Teeth of some Celebrity Muppet trying to get their Hand in my Wallet to fund these lost causes when we have major problems here at Home :-(

This will sound awfully cold hearted but why should we give a toss about all the savages in Syria, Uganda or Buttfuck Missoura?

Let them get on with wiping each other out and solving the overpopulation/food shortage problems.

I'm not a nasty person but I'm sick to the back Teeth of some Celebrity Muppet trying to get their Hand in my Wallet to fund these lost causes when we have major problems here at Home :-(

Well some people don't like to see others in pain or whatever, but i'm sick of the way the charities try to blame you for what has happened to make you feel guilty.

Archived