Another Law question

thiswayup2010
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone, just registered!

Hate to annoy everyone with another question regarding the law, but it seems so unclear that I thought I'd throw this one out there...

Assuming you are not UKARA registered, how can it be proved that you have sprayed a 2-tone black? One could say they purchased it as an RIF before the law changed, no? For example, I have a couple of plastic RIFs which I bought several years ago. No one could prove wether I bought them before the law changed, or bought a couple of 2-tones yesterday and sprayed them black.

One more thing. Has anyone on here actually found themselves in a situation where an airsoft violation has got them into trouble with the law? I mean, you'd have to wave one around in public for ANY sort of authorities to get involved and ask the pedant questions that are often discussed on here. Unless sites take the law very seriously (which I assume they DO, being a business and all) then surely we can do whatever we want? Feel free to shoot me down in flames, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Cheers!

• AF-UK Founding Member

It's true you don't hear much about it, but there are many many crimes which people get away with, simply because it isn't that easy to monitor? How many people have sped in their car? How many have downloaded an mp3 for free etc. etc.

Proving it was a two tone could be done by checking order history at the store you purchased from, or just examining the paintwork. It would be very hard to do such a good job that were the black to be stripped off the two tone colour wouldn't show whatsoever.

Cheers Devastator. In your experience, do people who bring RIFs to sites get asked to show proof of their UKARA registration? Because I have a couple of 2-tones which I would like to eventually paint black/camo, however probably won't go to sites regularly enough to be part of UKARA. Just wondering the possibility of sites questioning my black guns? (I understand this would vary from site to site.)

• AF-UK Founding Member

No, I don't see any sites questioning you on it, unless you've done a rubbish job on it. You're more likely to attract the attention of the players who will frown upon you for doing it.

Airsoft was almost lost and was only saved by these law changes, so it only seems fair to stick by them as trying to cirvumvent them is just likely to put the sport in danger again.

Not to mention if you were to do it now, you full well know it is outside the law and have stated that you may wish to paint them black regardless.

I know it is rubbish and no one wants a two tone and they can't see why it would do any harm etc. etc. and I do sympathise with you, but the law is there to be followed.

as long as you are 18 and are going to insured airsoft sites at least a few times a year then you can legally paint your gun black if you wish you dont need to be a member of ukara at all although obviously its alot easier and qicker to check but sites useually keep records of who goes and how many times which you can use as a defence. but as said id wait until youve been to atleast a few games at the same site before doing so.

as long as you are 18 and are going to insured airsoft sites at least a few times a year then you can legally paint your gun black if you wish you dont need to be a member of ukara at all although obviously its alot easier and qicker to check but sites useually keep records of who goes and how many times which you can use as a defence. but as said id wait until youve been to atleast a few games at the same site before doing so.

i thought it was illegal to paint two tone rifles?

anywho if you were really bothered about it you could just buy new stock and other externals to replace ones that are currently a sexual green colour

• Supporters

It is illegal to paint two-tone colours, unless you're 18+ and have a valid defence (e.g. UKARA).

It is also illegal to replace the brightly coloured parts without being 18+ and having a valid defence.

Archived