Battery Storage on gun

Ike
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all, I decided I needed to join a forum to ask the question and this looked like a good one!

I Have a G&G Gr-16 and have finally got around to getting a nice RIS front end as my magpul one seemed too flexible when using a front RIS grip. Its the kind that sits inside the delta ring and clamps over the front sight ring. I suppose having read a few reviews I was hoping the battery was going to fit but wasnt holding out hope and oh right, it doesnt.

My question is are there really no real options out there for battery storage? no choice? I know you have the option for a PEQ style box or re-wiring the battery to the stock, but is that all? what surprises me the most is there is no front RIS grip available that will hold a 9.6v 1600mah battery, the only one Ive found states it will only hold an 8v 90mm long, where as the 9.6 is over 100mm.

Nun chuck style bats are 17mm wide and will not fit, and I dont really fancy re-wiring. Also kind of resent the fact that by getting a nice front end I have to have a giant and expensive plastic box bolted to the side of it.

So, Am I missing something? Or does anyone have any ideas?

appreciate any input!

Nope I think you've pretty much summed it up unless you go for a Battery Sling:-(

• Supporters

Tiny lipo batteries might fit. I have a very small 800mah one from Patrol Base, I think it's 9 x 2.5 x 1.5 but don't quote me.

Only £8.53 check that out.

Or you could try component shop, they custom make batteries, they might be able to make one small enough for you.

Thanks for the input :)

Yeah im pretty stuffed then by the look of it lol. The LiPo batteries scare me if im honest. Dont you have to mod your gun to accept them? or is it for safety/care of the LiPo, aswel if not properly cared for you can screw them pretty quickly from what ive heard.

I do like the idea of a custom battery, Im guessing you can get smaller cells and just more of them, I didnt really want to drop below 9.6v but thanks Ed, gives me something to look into!

Am I right in thinking I wont be able to get a 9.6v in LiPo? Ive only seen 7 and 11 around...

Correct. Lipo cells come in 3.7V stages, (unlike NihM at 1.2V per cell) so basically 7.4V & 11.1V for Airsoft. Any AEG should be able to accept a 7.4V without any upgrades. 11.1V you would need to upgrade the average AEG gearbox to run safely on it. You could try using one on a standard gearbox but it (the gearbox) probably wont last too long.

I've got a twin 7.4V 2200mAh Lipo in the RIS on my L85 and, apart from it being a tight squeeze to get it in, it works fine in there and lasts all day. My G&G CM16 uses a 7.4V 1300 mAh Lipo in the crane stock and that also lasts most of the day without a problem.

The thing to be aware of is that you should not let a Lipo run any cell down below 3V (so 6V on a 7.4V) or it will damage the battery, possibly irrevocably. Using a Lipo Alarm will tell you when it gets low, so when it bleeps, either change or recharge it, but don't do what I did and leave a Lipo Alarm plugged in when you put the gun away. I forgot it was there and the alarm ran the battery right down to 2.8V (i.e. 1.4V per cell) so was totally destroyed (expensive mistake). You also need a proper Lipo charger (it charges via the balance plug, NOT the one you connect to the gun) so you get a proper balance to each cell. That way they deliver the charge you need in a controlled way, with no drop off until the cells get to the point the alarm sounds.

I held out changing for a while but where there isn't much room a Lipo is a better option that a small NihM or NiCad.

Mike

• AF-UK Founding Member
A 7.4v LiPo battery is equivalent (power wise) to a 9.6v NiMh battery

Think you've said this before, and I'll reply again. That's quite a generic statement to make. It could vary a lot, so really you can't make such a direct comparison like that.

Hey all, I decided I needed to join a forum to ask the question and this looked like a good one!

I Have a G&G Gr-16 and have finally got around to getting a nice RIS front end as my magpul one seemed too flexible when using a front RIS grip. Its the kind that sits inside the delta ring and clamps over the front sight ring. I suppose having read a few reviews I was hoping the battery was going to fit but wasnt holding out hope and oh right, it doesnt.

My question is are there really no real options out there for battery storage? no choice? I know you have the option for a PEQ style box or re-wiring the battery to the stock, but is that all? what surprises me the most is there is no front RIS grip available that will hold a 9.6v 1600mah battery, the only one Ive found states it will only hold an 8v 90mm long, where as the 9.6 is over 100mm.

Nun chuck style bats are 17mm wide and will not fit, and I dont really fancy re-wiring. Also kind of resent the fact that by getting a nice front end I have to have a giant and expensive plastic box bolted to the side of it.

So, Am I missing something? Or does anyone have any ideas?

appreciate any input!

Hi Ike

Like you I change to RIS on front end and had to find somewhere to put battery I went for a PEQ box made a few minor adjustments so wires fitteed in snug but this was for mini 8v battery I have a mini looking 9v but this is to big by about 1cm ( grrrr) and also it was ugly looking and heavy but now I have just brought a D/BOYS M203 battery box which will take mini and lipo batteries got this from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_kw=D-B...id=270928174131 (4 on this link)

hope link works new to this sort of thing if not try ebay either D/boys or battery box hope this helps as it saves you having to rewire to get battery to fit in stock

Well thanks very much for all the insight :). Im still not sure about LiPo, I guess I kind of love the simplicity of the NiMh type, I know what to expect from the different powers, that and not having to worry too much. Although Im seriously considering it since I dont think there's any alternative. Also some interesting stuff RR01 + Devastator, will definitely be taking into consideration if I go down that road.

Dazzer thanks for another suggestion something I didnt know existed!. Thing is though the whole reason I wanted the RIS front was so I can run a front grip solidly (felt reeaalllyy wobbly on my Magpul). I have nothing else but the front grip to run on it at the mo although Ill probably invest in a flashlight at some point so I dont really want to add more bits and bobs. Main reason I'm against the PEQ box is the price, surely there only cheap plastic and the cheapest I can find that will hold mine is £20!!

Cheers tho all its a shame there's no thanks button on this forum lol

Archived