Tight Bore Barrels

Henners
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Wanted to find out information about tight bore barrels, basically, what are the advantages and disadvantages (if any), and what are the side effects of installing one (do they increase fps greatly, or decrease range etc).

Also, what is the difference between a 'High Torque Motor' and a 'High Speed Motor'

Cheers for your help! :)

with a tight bore you'll get a very slight fps increase (about 10) and your grouping will be better at medium ranges. anything smaller than a 6.3 tends to begin to spread out again at longer distances

thats my input anyway i always try fit a 6.3, and a tm hop unit so if its range your after a decent hop unit will serve you better tan a tightbore and an uber spring

Pretty sure the above post means 6.03, if you were wondering. 6.3 wouldn't be very tight.

haha yeah that one :lol:

having a special moment!

• 3 months later...
  • Supporters

Has anybody ever used Lonex Stainless Steel 6.03mm Tight Bore Barrels? How about Lonex Aluminium Hop Up Chambers?

• Supporters

Never looked into upgrade hop chambres Ian, my L85 can only be fitted with the stock unit as it's built into part of the barrel assembly.

If you want a good barrel, try and find a Tanio Koba hop-twist barrel, give about 15m extra range and improve accuracy at all distances. Have to be shooting sub 330fps though, so heavier ammo is generally needed to get the best out of them - they cost about £70 but worth every penny. I think Fire Support had some in stock last time I checked, but they're rare as sh*t, so sell like hot cakes.

Failing that a madbull barrel will do you well, you'll notice the improvement, I'm always amazed how just changing the barrel can make such a difference.

I plan on getting a 6.01 for my M16 as I've always previously bought 6.03s, so I'll aim to clear up the .03 vs .01 debate at some point in the future.

• Supporters

What puts me off 6.01mm is the legendary necessity of very good quality BBs.

I think we're of a similar mind on a lot of the horsesh!t surrounding BBs, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my assessment to risk damaging the inside of an expensive 6.01mm barrel by having to ram really hard to get a wonky shaped sticker out again...

Besides, I'm pretty sure that air/wind conditions make far more difference than 0.02mm could. You know?

What got me wondering about those Lonex SS barrels, apart from the price, is a convo I had with Coldy about polishing the inside of a barrel using a drill.

I could get a 550mm 6.03mm SS barrel delivered for £34.45 - stick a £10 stubby silencer on my AK and have another beast on my hands!

• Supporters

If I remember correctly, the Celcius PTW range are fitted with 6mm barrels, not .01, not .02 but 6.00mm and I've heard they are very good. Comparable to Systema rifles. Never heard of one jamming either.

Also, reguar Blasters are rated as being 5.95mm +/- .05 so even regular Blasters ought to be fine in a 6.01 barrel and they're all I use anyway, apart from when I get .30s - I always get the Blaster Devils then.

If the jamming issues related to tight barrels were really that prominent, I'd expect to hear about it more often. I've never heard a single first hand account of it. I don't think it's so much "make sure you use high quality ammo" as it is "just don't use low quality ammo" regular Blasters will do fine, I'd bet money on it.

• Supporters

Yeah, I expect you're right. But I've got about 14000 BB King and I plan on using them for as long as the supply lasts - they're supposed to be 5.95 +/- 0.01mm but at the price, I have my doubts. Still, I expect they'll be fine in a 6.03

Well, apart from the free Blasters from Skirmish anyway... the price of them is just too good to ignore - it works out at £5.06 delivered for 3000

I usually get through at least 4000 on a day, and I could get through plenty more in a squad support role, so it'll add up...

Archived