M16 plans

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok, so right now I've just got a bog standard G&P A3.

I want to turn it into an A4 with RIS, but I can't find an A4 receiver for the life of me. That's one with "Burst" printed on it instead of "Auto", I also can't decide whether to go for the Marine FN body, or just a regular Colt one. I guess it depends on whichever I can find that actually has burst engraved on it...

I also can't find the G&P M5 RAS on its own, it always seems to come with the whole front end, barrel and front sight etc included. Can anyone help me out with that as well? Here's a base link so you know what I'm on about: http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...ct&id=GP598

Does anyone know what the light grey area at the front is/is for? It looks like a hole.

Lastly, I've been linked to this: http://www.airsoftworld.net/burst-wizard-k...-king-kong.html as I want to make the gun fire in bursts as well as having it on the receiver. Has anyone ever used one? I want to know if it'll work regardless of my ROF, or if I might have to do some tinkering with battery voltage, spring tension or something else, to make it actually fire three shots.

Also, how does it actually plug in? There seems to be two parts.

Cheers folks.

Edit:

Just found this: http://airsoft-club.com/shop/external-upgr...16-series-gp543 it says it's compatible with TM, but made by G&P... Will it fit, or what?

Oh also, anyone who plays Battlefield 3 will be aware of the "laser" you can get on it, which PEQ unit is it that's used on BF3? Can you get airsoft versions for holding smaller batteries?

avoid the plug and play like the plague, it is only any good with 3 round burst (barely) and the adjustable rate of fire eats up battery power like the fat man at a buffet.

if your going for the solid stock version M16, get an ASCU vII. i've had the vI since it came out and it's still going strong.

if you want a retractable stock try and go for the Raptor or stealth mosfets, heard good things about them "http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/upgrade-part-s/upgrades-aeg.html".

• Supporters

It says on airsoft world that the mosfet can be hardwired, so it doesn't have to be a plug in kit, and all the reviews for it seem to be very good. Plus it's only £30 so I guess it doesn't matter if it's crap.

What's the ASCU vII? Just another burst kit? Linky?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...arbox_Ver_2.htm

good review on abilities.

i think red 1 airsoft and another site do ASCU's in england.

my 2 friends experience from the plug and play (G&P M16, TM G3) is that it used up 3700mah 8.4v battery in one hi-cap (G3), and a brand new (from component-shop) 1500mah 9.6v in less than 2 68rd mid-caps.

• Supporters

That thing sounds pretty awesome, though the price is putting me off slightly... Also, since it's from HK, won't there be import fees and stuff like that?

I think I might get the £30 one first and then if/when it breaks, I'll invest more in something better and get one of these things instead.

No gearbox lock up sounds vair good though, is that a general advantage of all mosfets, or just this one?

i've only got personal experience on this one, and second hand for the stealth.

basically, it's awesome, gets rid of the anti-reversal latch so taking apart and putting back together gearboxes are a lot easier, it has never locked up, I haven't had any problems with single shot or rapid fire or 3rd burst at all. only real problem is that it doesn't give you a real warning when it's out of power, it suddenly beeps twice and then stops, for some people a disadvantage, others an advantage.

• Supporters

Red1 only have the original version from the looks of it, and it's over £100...

Think I might just go with the £30 option and see if it's any good, I'm sure if it turns out to be as sh*t as you've said I'll be able to get a refund, and if not, at least it's only £30.

Anyone know if the receiver set I've linked with work with G&P?

It's out of stock at airsoft club at the moment as well, anyone know of anywhere else I can get one from? Preferably from in the UK.

• Supporters

Ed, I like your plans for your M16 better than what I was going to do to mine.. so now I'm copying you, but without the A4 receiver and burst. I think I'm gonna get the ARES M16 RIS Kit to put on mine. I'll email Fire-Support now and ask whether it'll fit onto the G&P M16A3.

What sight are you going to use Ed?

EDIT: I'm not getting the ARES RIS kit, it's more expensive and may not fit...

EDIT 2: I am (if it fits), I didn't read the price with VAT on Wolf Armouries..

EDIT 3: We need to make a thread of what's compatible with what, with people adding to it as they find things out, and then adding whether it's confirmed or not.

Then put all this information into an organised file/thread and keep it up-to-date. Possibly even a spreadsheet...

EDIT 4: I'm really speaking crap tonight.. maybe I'm tired? Sorry for going mildly off topic here, at least I'm not multi-posting.

• Supporters

I'm still looking for sights. I think I might just stick with the ACOG I already have for the time being and for a fairly long time. I'm giving myself a budget of £400 over the next 6 months to get everything sorted and a new ACOG might push the budget.

I want a 4x32 with an illuminator though, I just can't find any I like the look of at the moment.

I also completely agree about the compatibility thread. It really does need making. It needs to be done so that everyone can edit it though, so a thread probably wouldn't work, as the updates would have to be down to the OP and I know that if that were me, I'd forget to check it regularly enough and then not be arsed to add all the new things that've been suggested since I last looked...

Maybe there could be a subforum section where there's a forum for each gun/brand and the compatibility listings for them? Might make it easier to find exactly what you want to know.

• Supporters

What ACOG do you have? and how much was it? I kinda want one to mount on the carry handle.

I've just emailed Fire Support about the ARES RIS kit, should get a reply sometime next week.

Yeah that sounds like a better way of organising it. Would take so long to build it up to contain enough information where it's properly useful though.

And it would irritate me if everyone didn't lay it out exactly the same :(.

• Supporters
What ACOG do you have? and how much was it? I kinda want one to mount on the carry handle.

I've just emailed Fire Support about the ARES RIS kit, should get a reply sometime next week.

Yeah that sounds like a better way of organising it. Would take so long to build it up to contain enough information where it's properly useful though.

And it would irritate me if everyone didn't lay it out exactly the same :(.

It'd irritate me too lol, I guess we'll just have to cope with having to trawl the internet for hours to find out what's compatible with what.

Anyway, I got my ACOG from airsoft world some time last year for, I think, about £95. It looks and basically is exactly the same as this one: http://www.airsoftworld.net/airsoft-guns/g...-dot-scope.html except mine actually has 4x magnification and no illumination/need for batteries. They don't seem to sell the zoom optic version anymore.

• Supporters

Hmm, they're rather expensive for a sight.. I wouldn't want one without 4x magnification, meaning they're over £100.

Anyway, back to searching for whether ARES rails are compatible with G&P M16s..

• Supporters

I've got a mate who got a Trijicon replica from somewhere in HK for about £60, it has 4x zoom and the fibre optic cable running across the top and everything. He didn't even get charged any extra fees when he had it shipped over, if I remember to ask him next time I see him then I'll get back to you on it.

Last time I checked AW, back when they were still selling the one I bought, it was going for about £80 and it is a really nice sight, it's got a rubberised coating on it which I really like and it ages with use quite well, with random bits of the rubber coat peeling off. I like it anyway. I guess it's just a case of shopping around. Maybe they're just not on the site because they're out of stock or something, can't hurt to keep checking back, they might be reduced even more if they ever stock them again.

Personally, I think I'm going to wait until the Arms Fair at The Grange next year or the NAE this year and see if I can pick up some nice gear for a discount price or something. I see them as being a bit like airsoft car boot sales lol.

Edit:

I just tried to have a brief search for you but I got side tracked and ended up looking at a G&P receiver compatibility thread and it occurred to me that TM receivers hinge open like the real deal and G&P ones slide apart without needing to remove the rear pin...

Meaning that the A4 receiver I've been looking at probably won't fit my rifle because despite being made by G&P, it says it's TM compatible... *cry*

I might end up having to get a blank receiver custom engraved or something and god knows where I can go to have that done, or what it'll cost.

• Supporters

My mate recently got an ACOG for £80, says it has 4x zoom and is illuminated, not sure where he got it from. I'll have to ask him, and borrow it when we go next weekend.

I'm likely to be going to the NAE this year, booked it off work already, got a tent sorted..

One thing that may stop me is if I go to V Festival, it's the weekend before, and we usually go on a week holiday straight afterwards..

What parts are you worried out it not fitting? The gearbox, or the stock, barrel, etc.?

• Supporters

All of them really. But mostly the gearbox, I imagine most front ends will be compatible with other brands and it's probably the same deal with stocks.

If TM use the hinge system then the rear body pin will have to be removed to allow it to hinge, meaning part of the upper half must protrude into the lower half for the pin to be able to hold them together. But right now the rear pin in my G&P is stuck through the rear section of the gearbox, leaving no room whatsoever for any kind of upper/lower receiver protrusiony parts, so I just can't see it working and I'd rather not be the guinea pig that spends £80 on it just to find out it doesn't work.

The internet always seems to be seriously shite at answering my airsoft compatibility questions. I can't believe no one else has ever wanted a G&P rifle to have an A4 receiver on it before, why is it always only me that seems to want these things?

Why can't someone just make it all work!? DDDDDDD=

• Supporters

I'm pretty sure the external parts will fit. Most of their front ends etc. are made to fit TM, but will fit G&P receivers too.

I have a TM and a G&P gearbox here somewhere, I'll compare them and see if the holes are in exactly the same place or not..

EDIT: They're exactly the same, same cuttings, holes, size, etc.

• Supporters

But the rear pin... Maybe it will fit...

I'll email airsoft club and hope I get a reply, it's likely the only way to know for sure.

• Supporters

Looking at the picture in that link on the first post, you don't need the rear pin out to separate the two receiver halves.. just the front one is holding them together?

The pin holes in the gearboxes are definitely the same place.

• Supporters

Are you saying that matter-of-factly about the photo in the link, or questioning me about it?

'Cos there are no pins inserted into the body in the photos of the receiver kit...

I've emailed them either way, so I guess I'll just have to hope they reply some time soon.

I guess if the gearbox fits in then it ought to be fine, as the new body will likely have different internal cuttings to make it all work as it should.

So long as all the other bits fasten on all the other ends, it ought to be fine, I just need to be sure.

• Supporters

Matter-of-factly, I don't know why I put a question mark. Maybe I actually do it quite often.

I may have to get one, but they're somewhat expensive. As is everything airsoft related that looks good or is worth having...

• Supporters

Just got a reply from Airsoft Club, I'm amazed they got back to me so fast, but they said that the receiver will only work with Marui guns.

So that's my plans down the bog.

Now I'll have to either find another receiver set, which seems unlikely as I've been looking for days now.

I could buy that one anyway but change all the parts that don't fit over to TM, which will probably just be the gearbox, because the hop it comes with looks EXACTLY the same as the one in my M16. The M5 RAS, happily is TM compatible and I'm sure the stock I've got will fit a TM frame so it looks like I might just buy it anyway and if the gearbox doesn't fit I'll have to find one that does, which may well become another pain in the arse challenge.

I'm pretty much sorted though now, it's just that my spendings are more than likely going to go up if this gearbox doesn't fit.

Edit:

Just realised that from a reply telling me it won't work, I've decided to buy it anyway haha, I think I have a defective brain.

• Supporters

I can't see it myself.. you may as well get it and then replace the gearbox if you need to.

Got an email back from Fire Support, the ARES M16 RIS kit will fit on the G&P.

To make it better, there are two in stock :P.

Archived