Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nicholas-c

More L86 issues...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) thread.

Recommended Posts

If you have seen my other two posts I have been having REAL issues with this weapon... To the point where I either want to just cry or melt it down.

 

General jist of this topic: ICS L86, Re-wired it after last topic. Doesn't work and drains batteries in 5-10 seconds.

 

Story until now...

My mate owns a L86, he bought it second hand, After taking the TMH (Or receiver as airsofters call it >.>) to change the spring from 240fps to something with a little more... kick... we got it up to 340FPS with .2g's anyway, It seems whilst putting it back together we caught a wire that connects to the motor with the rear TMH pin, which meant it stopped working, I clipped the wire, soldered it and all was good.

 

During a skirmish it stopped working, few days later I stripped it down again and found another wire that was damaged, proceeded to solder it when I accidently snapped a connector off of the motor. Whoops. I got rid of the fragile motor connectors and replaced them with screw on connectors (replacing the ends of the wires to match) All okay so far however the gun refused to fire. I decided to pop to makro and re-wire it completely. New connectors everywhere etc etc. The motor worked fine, mounted on gearbox. Worked fine.

 

First game of the day using the gun it worked fine for the first half after that the motor started too... Die? Sounding like the batteries where flat, So we whacked a new one in and that died too... Very strange. So for the rest of the day he used a hire gun (ouch )

 

Latest Issue (now):

Stripped it down today and well... It's odd, Where the switch contacts are on the "Upper receiver" (not trigger) it looks like the plastic box has melted slightly so I took that apart, cleaned the contacts re-assembled, took the motor out checked it over, all fine. Put it back together whacked in a FULLY charged 7.4v li-po, Worked fine... Bang. Bang. Bang... Multi-metered the battery... 7.4V... All good! Switched to fully auto and BANGAGNGNGNGNGNGNGNGgngng ng ng.. ng... bang.... bang....... bang..... It started to die after 5-10 seconds again... WTF.

 

Took the battery out and whacked it in my KWA M4... and it sounded... Dead... One shot every second... Multimetered the battery and it was reading 6.5V.

 

So. The question is. What is making the L86 drain a 7.4V 1450mAh Li-po in 5-10 seconds...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since from your post it seems like it started after you put new contacts on the motor I'd suggest that may be part of the problem. Have you tried substituting another motor to see if that works OK or not? At least that way you can either eliminate the motor or prove it's faulty, in which case you may need to get a new one.

 

Other than that, have you tried putting a multimeter on the motor wires with a battery connected and pulling the trigger, to ensure you have full current flow to the motor? If you don't get the full battery voltage it could indicate a short or poor contact point within the circuit. Also, did you check the motor height in the gearbox, to ensure it isn't sitting too deep in mesh with the gears and overloading it?

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than stripping down my M4 and using that motor I haven't got any to my disposal. The contacts and so on are wrapped in shrink wrap stuff so it's all insulated at the motor. If I take a reading from the motor it reads the same as the battery does (6.4v now) and yeah, The height is a problem I encountered early on and its just right as far as I know.

 

Edit: Just hooked it back up for a test shot and it has drained the battery to 5.9V after 2 really slow shots. I don't have a spare li-po so going to charge this one back up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm borrowing my mates Ni-mh battery after he has used it sunday since it's just killing li-po's, Still stuck on this one though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I'd do:

 

Send it to Patrol Base, £25 service + postage. Done.

 

If there's anything that needs replacing they'll let you know etc etc. You won't need to spend more than £25 if you don't want to or can't and I can 100% vouch for their service and customer satisfaction. They aim to please and they're deadly accurate lol.

 

Rock-climby-dave works there, drop him a PM about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long does patrol base take? Thinking of taking it to JD airsoft (About 30 min drive) and getting them to have a look at it but apparently their repairs aren't the greatest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been disappointed with Patrol Base, they often have a lot of services booked in, so as a result it can sometimes take up to two weeks for them to get around to it, but if you explain that it's urgent then they'll add it to a priority list and get around to it as soon as possible.

 

I asked them to speed up the repairs on my ICS L85 and they had it done in about 3 days. I'd say to expect it to take around a week, but I'm sure they'll be able to give you a rough estimate if you ask them for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ni-mh battery finally arrived and well, it seems to be working fine now... Still confused why my li-po doesn't work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) thread.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...