New to Airsofting and have some questions

TheProtector
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi I'm new to airsofting and have never owned an airsoft gun before. I am 14 years of age, soon to be 15.

I have tried to research UK airsofting laws but am still none the wiser about the rules for under 18s buying guns and participating in skirmishes. I was just wondering if anyone could inform me.

The gun will not be used in my backyard or in a public place. I am only buying it to participate in skirmishes (if it’s legal that is). I know there is a rule about participating in at least three skirmishes or something along those lines.

For all those against under 18s owning RIFs, I know I can’t prove it though a post such as this, but I'm a sensible, educated guy who will purely use any weapon to participate in legal, organised skirmishes.

It goes without saying that I want to remain completely in the law although I know nobody would advise me to anything otherwise.

If it’s illegal I’ll just have to wait till I’m 18 I guess because I’m hooked on the idea of MilSims and letting my inner strategist out :lol:

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me :)

1. You cannot under any circumstances buy an airsoft gun. Legal age to purchase a two-tone (i.e. brightly coloured = IF) is 18. Your parents could however buy one and gift it to you. THis only applies to whole guns, not parts, but buying an IF, then adding RIF parts to change it is an offence and could get you into serious trouble before you are registered - See 2.

2. RIFs (Realistic Imitation Firearms - i.e. the black ones) can only be purchased by those who can avail themselves of one of the specific defences to the VCRA. In your case once you reach 18 you need to attend at least three skirmishes at the same site in NOT LESS than 2 months, after which you can apply for site membership and, if you wish, be added to the UKARA database of eligible players. You can then purchase RIFs. NB: Any skirmishes before you are 18 DO NOT COUNT.

3. Since you have plenty of time, find a local site (most allow those under 18 to participate, although you will have to wear a full face mask), play there using hire guns and try out different types (ask other skirmishers if you can look at/handle/fire theirs) until you find the one that suits you / your style of play. That way you'll save a fortune on buying, not liking and selling on RIFs at a loss (you'll NEVER get back what you paid for it new unless someone is dumb enough to pay without the benefit of a store bought warranty - warranties are NOT transferrable to second hand purchasers).

4. Have fun.

Oh, and 5 - Don't try buying from abroad until you are eligible. You'll get caught, have the gun seized and destroyed by the Border Agency and lose your money. Once you get registered then you can try, but even registered players have had problems with them.

Mike

As per marksman, what you need is a dad (or mum) who plays and gets the VCRA defense. Not only can they have lots of fun sharing quality time, they can sort you (legally) with gifted RIF's. You can use a RIF, you just cant buy them or IF's. (I speak as a Dad who now has UKARA and my kids play)

That said if your parents don't want to play (They don't know what they are missing) then its not that bad to play with IF's. Most of the under 18's I see playing at my local site use IF's without issue. Personally I think the clear IF's work better than the high colour ones but that's just my view :) My first gun was a clear ICS M4 and I still use it on and off. Also there are now IF's made with 'proper' colours built in rather than sprayed. Again I think these look better than 'sprayed' black ones.

One thing you don't want to do, don't ask over 18's onsite to buy guns for you. Had someone trying that on me the day I got my UKARA and it wont make you any friends. It has to be your parents and it has to be a gift, you cant pay for it and they have to either buy an IF or be UKARA (or valid defense) themselves to get you a RIF.

So if my dad buys a RIF then I can use it in skirmishes?

Dont know why I even ask actually because he isnt into airsoft or anything similar <_< and I dont think I'll ever be able to convince him to start, although I know he's not against me doing it. I think my most likely solution is just to hire until Im 18.

I know it will vary a lot but what is an average price for hiring a gun for a day?

Hiring per day is normally ~£20, thatll include a gun and some ammo

with game fee you're looking at £50 or so a day

Which if you allow for fact walk on is about £20, depending how often in a year you play just hiring may work out better value. Its a £100 area for 2nd hand rifle, so that gives you 4 to 5 games in a year before it pays for itself and if it dies in that time you are out of pocket. Hires have lots of advantages, you dont have to maintain it, if the gearbox goes phoom its not your problem, you dont need to charge batteries, less to carry to events, etc.

Of course downside to hires is you cant play around and customise, but then again thats even more money spent that could be spent out there playing and enjoying yourself.

Keep working on your dad though, you never know he may love it once he tries it. Just say its a great stress relief, after all you cant get much further from the office grind than running about in the woods with your mates.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Dissapointed slightly at having to wait three years to get a RIF but pleased I can still participate in skirmishes.

Im guessing most places hire out suitable clothing?

Most places don't include clothing in the hire kit (unlike paintball sites), as they'd need loads of different sizes to fit all the potential players, but you can kit yourself out quite cheaply from most Surplus Stores. A DPM shirt & trousers shouldn't set you back more than about £20 (there's often a few for sale on here - look in the Gear section) or check out the Army Surplus stores on the web. Then you'll need a belt and a decent pair of boots (black if you're using DPM) and you're almost set. You can then buy a South African Assault Vest quite cheap, or you can get one as part of the hire kit.

Then just get out there and enjoy shooting people.

Archived