Turning a Deac. into an Airsoft Gun

Cyrax
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My brother has an MG 53 deactivated gun. Here are some pictures, thanks to gooogle.

What I would like to know, is from scratch, is it possible to turn this into an airsoft support weapon? Probably more importantly, how much would it cost?

Lastly, does it became an RIF? Or is it one already. As you can see from the pictures, it is similar in looks to the famous MG 42.

So, fire away with any knowledge you got!

Okay no worries, thanks for the replies. Dont want to do anything illegal! All this UKARA stuff and RIFs and grey areas and blah.

Just thought it would look cool more than anything else!

Was informed by a more experienced person than I that converting deacs is illegal, not VCRA but firearms laws. So another note of caution against doing this. :)

Was informed by a more experienced person than I that converting deacs is illegal, not VCRA but firearms laws. So another note of caution against doing this. :)

yeah it's illegal, otherwise ww2 airsofters would have more varied collections and not have to sit around waiting for a company to realise there is a market

To be honest even if it was legal it would probably be way too much effort and money to convert them. :)

suprisingly not, some of the crappy shoot n scoot kits are more expensive than deacts. just depends if your after a rare model or one that was produced in the hundreds of thousands

One day when I am mega rich ill have a BAR GBB. It will be amazing. But that is for another thread.

if you were determind/ skilled/ feeling rich enough you could get the m14 gbb and put a m14 body over with a few mods

not seen it done but to get a looks like i dont see much problem apart from price.

give it a go then seel me it haha :lol:

Quick answer, no bull shine, I work with section 5 weapons, so this is not hearsay, it's fact.

Once you break just one weld, or replace just one modified part in a deactivated weapon, you are considered in law to be reactivating it. You will go to prison. No questions, no pleading ignorance. This has sod all to do with the VCR Act. It's a firearm you are talking about, deactivated or not, not a RIF.

As the barrel is permanently fastened to the receiver, and the chamber is permanently blocked to stop a round being cycled, there is no way you could get an airsoft inner barrel through. You would have to tamper with the deactivation process to use it as the basis for an airsoft weapon.

You can use any parts which are not load bearing, e.g. grips, sights, and general fittings. You cannot alter and use any of the load bearing parts, e.g. receiver, barrel, bolt, gas system, trigger/sear mechanism or the flash hider.

Archived