2-tone paint coming off

kaiser
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Last week I received my new 2-toned hi-capa 3.8 from tactical airsoft. I am very happy with the gun but the paint is coming off at a vast rate. I have not even taken it outside yet and I would say a good 20% of the green paint is flaking off.

Would it be illegal if I stripped it and re-painted it green? It looks a real mess at the moment.

Thanks

Kai

• Supporters

personally id say leave it, its not your fault its coming off, however im not sure about how legal that would be

personally id say leave it, its not your fault its coming off, however im not sure about how legal that would be

That would be down to the retailer who sold and painted the product, I would just leave it, don't scratch it of etc. as it could be used against you for manufacturing an RIF if the paint flakes off a second time. The reason it is flaking off is because the metal alloy companies use for the slide/frame, you need a special primer that burns into the metal a little bit for the paint to grip - that would just ruin the texture of the metal

-Albert

• AF-UK Founding Member

Nothing wrong with repainting it green. If in the end it all falls off, big deal imo. The fact the gun has been worn down is a defence in itself which shows you've been playing airsoft.

• Supporters

Unless you wanna repaint it, don't bother.

The VCRA makes no crime out of an IF's paint falling off. Provided it's just falling off due to use or being a shoddy paint job it would be considered under law to be an act of God for which you could not be prosecuted (if a car on your property that belongs to someone else is hit by lightning and explodes, you're not guilty of blowing up their car are you ;) ).

If you're peeling/scraping it off it's different, UNLESS you've allowed so much to fall off that it's now an RIF (51% realistic colour), in which case you're just modifying an existing RIF which is fine and dandy.

Archived