Options for first gun(s)

Batcow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i've been looking into what i want to get once i get ukara registered and i'm kind of torn between a couple of different guns.

I actually quite like the looks of the good old fa-mas (someones got to :)) but it seems that the TM ones are supposed to be old and creaky with old and not very well supported version 1 gearboxes, and the clones are a bit rubbish. All i can seem to find new and inside my budget is ACM Famas F1 which it says is compatible with the TM version 1 gearbox but i'm guessing that's not really going to be much help nowadays?

My local shop has suggested any of the G&G CM16's which seems like a good suggestion from what i've been reading and at £140 for the raider (which i prefer) it seems like a good enough deal.

I am however half tempted to get a used AR and also pick up something like an MP7 specifically the WELL R4 for those times i don't fancy the AR. I've seen the R4 can come two toned from the factory which would allow me to get it sooner rather than later then spray it black once my defence is sorted. The reason for the WELL is that i doubt i can warrant £200+ for a single starter gun (the TM MP7) and i'd still want an AR as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated, i'm more into reliability than anything else for now which is why i'm a bit worried about the famas situation. What ever i get i'm planning on going lipo from the get go, not that that should make any difference to what i get really.

Cheers,

Ross

Yeah those are the ones I've been looking at. Any thoughts on the famas/mp7 situation though?

Cheers :)

Yeah I was expecting somebody to say that about the ACM :)

Have you got experience with the TM version at all, just wondering if it's a good idea to get one as a beginner with it being so hard to source parts for or should I just go for something v2 or v3?

• Supporters

TM famas's (or is that famae?) are great, they last forever and perform quite well for such an old gun.

However, that said- i still think you are better off with a g&g cm16 or similar as a beginner unless you are really really set on a famas.

Yeah i think i've decided that i'll leave the famas for a while (as much as i think i'd prefer one) and maybe just get one in the future to play with a bit.

Not being the biggest M4 fan in the world though i'm now leaning towards getting one of the full metal cyma tacticool AK47's over the G&G m16 :)

Doubt i'd go for a new one of those but if i do is it just a case of a spring change do downrate it, and is that as simple as i'm imagining to do? i.e. undo some screws, open gearbox, swap the spring then put it back together. I'm quite mechanically mined but i've not looked into how aeg mechanics work yet :)

Thanks

Yep the cyma's should need a spring downgrade and it is relatively easy to do, hover if its your first gun then get the shop to do it and you will have something to play with then. No point messing around with a perfectly usable gun till it breaks imo

I have the Cyma covered in rails and its fun. Action hobbies have two types, the cheaper is the plastic bodies, the more expensive is the metal bodied. I got mine from Poland and was about £50 cheaper than AH and that was posted!

I'd happily pay £150 for one new (i'm gonna guess that's about what it cost :)) did you have any hassle getting it imported or?

I'm hoping to pick up a used one for about that with a few spare mags etc. i guess thats a decent price right? :D

cyma's second hand are a pretty good buy as there is not that much an owner can do to knacker one to be honest. A full metal cyma with a couple of mags and battery would be around £140-150.

As i said earlier i'm not really wanting an M4 based gun but yeah that's the same gun i linked in the op...

Managed to impulse buy myself a used JG G36c from my local airsoft shop earlier though so i'm all happy now :)

thanks for all the advice guys :D

• 4 weeks later...
G&G raiders are fine starter guns

Cyma for AK's

JG for G36's

SRC ver3 are good as well

All within the £200 budget

Basically this... It's what is recommended for new players, me however I went down the sniper route because...

1) I like it

2) I'm stubborn lol

3) I like a challenge

Other than that I plan to go down the aeg route later on so no real problem for me :)

Do not get a ACM FAMAS, go for the TM one as it is a solid gun.

Agreed Tm is te better one..

All I would say is if u go down aeg route a spare battery and magazine is wise - seen one guy that ran out mid game and had no spare battery ^^ plus it's a pain in a firefight to speed load ( or manual if ur even more unlucky lol) a magazine...

Hope that helps Liam

Edit: just noticed the post about u buying a jg g36 - awesome guns - only problems I've seen is some people have magazine pouch problems but that's an easy fix :)

Archived