Mid capacity magazines

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I have just fixed 6 mid capacity magazines.

The problem they all had was that the BBs would double stack parallel with each other, so there would be two columns of BBs in the mag instead of them being in a single column or staggered/criss-crossed.

So towards the top of the mag, the BBs being directly next to each other made them too wide to fit through the top of the mag into the gun, the two columns were blocking each other. (If anyone's seen the episode of the Simpsons when Mr. Burns has every disease known to man and the doctor demonstrates how they can't all fit through the door at once - well it's like that lol)

Here's what I did.

Step 1:

You may or may not need to do this, it might be worth jumping straight to step 2 and coming back to this if you still have problems afterwards.

I took the springs out and stretched them, I did this by looping string through either end and hanging them all along my pull-up bar, obviously anything else that's flat, level and capable of having sting tied to it will also do, then getting a weight and looping all the other ends onto that, so the weight pulled them all downwards. I was stretching 5 springs at once and using a 2kg weight. So for one spring, you could probably just tug it a few times.

Anyway, stretching the springs ensures that the problem isn't that the springs are worn out. Stretching them will give them revitalised springyness.

You might find that they have a tendency to warp themselves into a a windy helter skelter type spiral, I've found that this doesn't matter, let them coil to their heart's content.

Whilst I left them stretching I got on with -

Step 2:

I broke out the sand paper and got to work on the little plastic things that sits on top of the spring that the BBs are pushed by. In my mags the top edge of this piece was a C shape, rounded like a half-circle. You don't want a half circle, you want a sort of off centre point.

Sand down one side of the C shape so that you're left with about a sixth of a circle curved edge, the other 2 sixths of the half circle need to be flat. This makes it completely impossible for two columns of BBs to sit perfectly next to each other, so the BBs will always load into the mag in a staggered formation and not two columns.

Once I was done sanding down all these parts, I got the springs back, fitted the sanded down parts to one end, shoved them back in the mags and hey-presto, 6 fully functioning mid caps.

If this is easy for people to understand, then it might serve a purpose in the guides section, what do people think? I thought I'd stick in the general section so that more people will see it, you never know who might need help fixing magazines.

can you add photo's, please.

planning to do this for my E-Mags, just a bit worried about getting the springs back into the mags.

• Supporters
can you add photo's, please.

planning to do this for my E-Mags, just a bit worried about getting the springs back into the mags.

Since I've already sanded everything it might be hard to show what they were like before, I could draw some diagrams though and show what they look like after the sanding.

With the mags I had, some had a twisty thing on the bottom and the spring just slides in and out through there. The others needed a screw unfastening, releasing the mag shell from the mag innards. Once the inner piece is out, you just undo the top/bottom screws to open one end, then slide the mag spring out from there. I've never actually seen/held an airsoft emag in real life so I don't know what they'll be like, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

I'll get to work on the pictures once I've got a bit of spare time.

wouldn't mind some end photos of the feed lip, and what i mean is that i attempted to take one of my mags apart and stretch the spring, i still haven't been able to put it back together lol.

just wondering if you have any other way of doing it?

• Supporters

Here's a simple diagram I've drawn, hopefully you can see and read it well enough for it to make sense.

I'll add a photo of my post-sanded down feeding ram later on.

Do you mean, other ways to stretch the spring? Or dismantle/reassemble the magazines? You can pretty much stretch the spring however you want, so long as a pulling force is applied to one end whilst the other end is anchored to something then job's a good'un.

As for sorting the mags out, I can't help you, I've no idea how Emags come apart.

post-1901-1328086975_thumb.jpg

yep, they're Magpul PTS Emag's, sorry about late reply.

what i'm worried about is putting the spring back in. i attempted to stretch the spring of a KA mag 2 yrs ago (I think) and i have never been able to get the spring back into the actual mag, it keeps on getting stuck halfway in.

• Supporters

Will post a few pics then, after I've dismantled my emag ;) should help you out

Archived