Connectors oxidising?

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I recently had my gun just die, I left it with Patrol Base and they said it was likely that the contacts in the trigger mech had oxidised. They sorted it out and it's working fine, I'm just wondering, if it happens again, how do I remove the oxidised shiz off the contacts? Is it even a visible defect?

• AF-UK Founding Member

I'm not tech so I don't actually know, but I'd of just said clean thoroughly/use a light sand paper and rub the connectors down. Ask Patrol Base, you paid for the service so you can ask what was done!

• Supporters

switch cleaner. It's nasty stuff if you get it on your skin, but it essentially just destroys any build up of oxidations on the trigger.

bear in mind that to get to the trigger, you will have to open the gearbox up completely and remove pretty much everything from the shell.

You can avoid the oxidation (caused by electrical arcing) by using a 7.4V LiPo if you run a 9.6NiMh ATM and avoiding 'trigger spamming' on semi and switching to auto, if only briefly.

• Supporters

I'm using a lipo already. The contacts in question are exposed once the gun's opened up, so I don't think there's much need for gearbox disassembly.

How come it doesn't happen when using lipos?

its not a case of what battery you use, if the connectors are Oxidizing (rusting) then you need better shielding from the elements.

Its an old high school experiment really, put a nail in a jar of water and electrify the nail, and the nail will rust quickly. ill imagine the same thing is what is happening to the connector.

• Supporters

That explains it. There's no way of shielding them anymore than they already are though, they're like a plug that you plug in by fastening the upper and lower receivers together. I guess it's something I'll just have to deal with.

Where can you buy switch cleaner?

• Supporters

I'll drop it at some point next week and ask them, cheers for the help guys.

• Supporters

Makes sense I guess lol, this is where I wish I'd listened, and known about airsofting when I'd been doing metal work and electronics at school. I could've made my own AEG as my final project!

Archived