Warrior MB-01 L96 upgrade advice needed

l96Freeman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have had my L96 for a couple of months now. I have used it in skirmishes a few times and I have found it to be a good reliable gun but I would like to make it more accurate and increase the range. Any advice would be great. I do know a bit about precision barrels and that you should get a new hop up and stuff but I don't know about WHICH parts to get. Currently it shoots at about 470 fps with .2's and it just doesn't seem to consistently hit the target at long distances. I don't know if this is because I have zeroed it wrong or anything but... yeah :blink:

• Supporters

Does it shoot that hard without modification? 'Cos that's pretty amazing lol, I might get one!

Liam Porter is the man to ask about the Well L96, send him a PM or something.

Does it shoot that hard without modification? 'Cos that's pretty amazing lol, I might get one!

Yeah, it comes fitted with a velocity restrictor but it was fairly easy to remove. I think with restrictor it shoots at about 300fps.

• Supporters
I have had my L96 for a couple of months now. I have used it in skirmishes a few times and I have found it to be a good reliable gun but I would like to make it more accurate and increase the range. Any advice would be great. I do know a bit about precision barrels and that you should get a new hop up and stuff but I don't know about WHICH parts to get. Currently it shoots at about 470 fps with .2's and it just doesn't seem to consistently hit the target at long distances. I don't know if this is because I have zeroed it wrong or anything but... yeah :blink:

I'll reply to your PM here so others can see too.

For accuracy, you'll be looking at a new barrel, hop unit and hop rubber. These will all increase the accuracy, range and consistency of your shots.

There are a few upgrade routes you can take with this; the cheaper one, the expensive one, and the buy cheaper parts and replace them later.

If you're looking for cheaper but still quality and reliable parts, get them from ASPUK in the L96 section.

The hop unit takes standard AEG barrels (I think it's the M16 length one for the L96, although I got 650mm one and a silencer to hide the end of it) and standard AEG hop rubbers (I got the red MadBull one - although this provided far too much hop, even for .40g BBs). I got a standard MadBull 6.03mm tight bore barrel - it's much, much better than the stock brass one.

The problem with just wanting accuracy is that you need to upgrade other parts to make them compatible.

The hop unit from ASPUK is not 100% compatible with the stock cylinder and cylinder head - although you can modify the cylinder head to make it work.

The cylinder head is slightly too long for the bolt to lock forwards, meaning you can't fire. I solved this by sanding about a 1mm off the cylinder head (not the nozzle, but the actual wide flat bit - it took ages and looked a mess). So I replaced it with the 500 FPS bolt set from ASPUK.

This is a more powerful spring than the stock one. The stock trigger mechanism is plastic and mine broke, so then I had to replace it with one from Airsoft World here, although it's out of stock at the moment.

You can also go down the more expensive route of getting PDI/LayLax parts.

They're higher quality and will last longer than the ASPUK ones, but are a lot more expensive (e.g. £170 for a trigger mechanism and £70 for a hop unit).

If you go down this route, try to stick to one manufacturer as much as possible to avoid compatibility issues.

I can't really help you here as I've never had/tried any.

You can do what I'm doing, which is upgrade 'fully' from ASPUK/cheaper parts and then replace/upgrade as you want/need to with PDI/LayLax.

I'm pretty sure that ASPUK parts are all compatible with PDI and LayLax, but don't take my word for it, I'm not 100%.

Sorry if any of this makes no sense, I'm very tired and revising. Anything else, just ask.

Yeah, there's a velocity reducer in the cylinder head. It just screws in and out, in will give ~270 FPS and out will give ~470 FPS.

• Supporters

No problem :). Make sure you check compatibility before you buy anything.

Agree in most with Liam here.

Firstly, you need to use heavier ammo for better accuracy at longer range. 0.2g Bbs are affected too much by the wind. The L96 copes best with 0.3 or 0.36g BBs.

If you use 0.36g BBs you won't need to modify or change the hop, might be an idea to replace the hop lever with a metal one as the stock plastic ones always break. However if you want to use heavier ammo then you'll need to use another hop unit or pack out the hop with another layer of rubber in the hole where the hop arms presses onto the hop rubber.

I now all the ASPUK parts are compatible with PDI and Laylax with the exception of the PDI hop unit.

If you want reliability get a piston with a steel catch however if you intend to stick with stock sears use a piston with a aliminium catch as the metal is softer.

ASPUK have sorted out the hop unit issue now any cylinder head will fit the ASPUK hop unit - even v3. Liam was right, in the past you had to use an ASPUK cylinder head with the hop - not any more, you can stick with the stock one if you wish.

Remember FPS is all about power - to get power you need to replace the spring but in doing so other parts will fail hence a new piston and spring guide are essential. Steel sears are also a good option.

Accuracy is all about the hop - you need to work on this part very lovingly :)

• 1 month later...

I think I am going to get a Warrior L96 then. Sounds like a good option. I think I will get the metal trigger from Airsoft world then the ''L96 Upgrade Set'' from ASPUK then a metal hop lever. Later on I will get a barrel and ASPUK hop up. That sounds fine to me. Thanks Liam, your information was very helpful.

Mfft im not happy with action hobbies now. I took my l96 to JDAirsoft to see what they thought about it and apparently the barrel was, in short, f****d. I had noticed before that the barrel had some lines on the inside when I looked in the top but just thought they were meant to be there. JDAirsoft told me that when the barrel was made or something it must have been messed up and that is the problem with my gun :( so when the bb flies out it gets rattled around by these lines so it just flies off anywhere very inaccurately. Now i'm waiting to see if JDAirsoft can sort the problem out cause they are awesome like that and they could find a way to get action hobbies to replace the barrel. However they did say that most sniper rifles they sell are pretty much spot on out of the box so i'm guessing you don't need to upgrade straight away.

• Supporters

Action Hobbies won't replace the barrel on your gun. It's a cheap Chinese clone, so imperfections are expected, no matter how bad they are.

The gun must have been apart to notice the barrel problem, meaning the warranty's void, they'll just assume you damaged the barrel.

My barrel was cut badly, with the hole for applying hop misaligned with the grooves for it, meaning all my shots veered badly to the left.

To be honest, you're probably better off buying a new hop unit from ASPUK and getting an M16 length AEG tight bore. You'll see the difference in accuracy and range.

I dunno JDAirsoft were telling me yesterday that AEG barrels dont fit and there is no velocity reducer! I was like wtf I know there is, because I removed it. But anyways they said they would tell action hobbies that the barrel is messed up and I might get a discount or they might meet me halfway with the cost if i'm lucky. So yeah lets see if i'm lucky or not. Oh and you could see the lines just by removing the silencer cap or whatever and looking down into the barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a Friday afternoon barrel, you get the odd duffer, not action hobbies fault but I'm sure if you talk to them it will get sorted.

What Liam says is correct, if you want ultimate accuracy get a PDI or ASPUK hop unit however these require an AEG barrel!

Archived