Making my own tracer unit?

Governor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I have set myself on a task of making a tracer unit, my idea is to empty the foam discs out of a silencer, put LED strips in a spiral around the silencer and hook it up to a momentary push switch...

or

Empty the foam discs out of a silencer, get a bit of PVC tube (smaller in width than the silencer but same in length) drill holes where the LED's would go and then place the LED strip on that and glue it into the silencer...

What do you think?

I can get a silencer for £15, 5m LED strip for £10

thanks

• Supporters

Power source and with the momentary switch how do you know when exactly the BB is coming out the barrel? beside`s their`s a tracer just like that (suppressor spec) on AW for 40 quid or 45 shipped

Power source and with the momentary switch how do you know when exactly the BB is coming out the barrel? beside`s their`s a tracer just like that (suppressor spec) on AW for 40 quid or 45 shipped

You press the button for the time you are doing the burst, I forgot about the power source :/

I may as well just buy one

• Supporters

I found it ridiculously easy to make my own, the components cost me like, £20 all told, but it works a charm. That said, the L85 perfectly accommodates internal modification easily due to being very roomy and such

I drilled three holes in my hop unit; the main feed-tube, not the "chamber" and glued three UV LEDs (4.5mm) into place, I then wired them up to a reed switch which completes the circuit when a magazine is inserted and an on-off switch located in the front handguard, I then placed a battery caddy in there too. It's perfect, admittedly the battery life is significantly decreased because the LEDs are on whenever a magazine is in, but if I don't want the unit on, I just turn it off in the handguard, it's easy enough to do.

Other issue is that I needed to use tabs to ensure all the wiring could be broken down into base components and removed non-destructively for weapon takedown which it can, and also, if a round sits in the chamber for a long while, it loses a lot of its illumination. I was expecting the shock from being fired to also knock out some of the energy and thus light levels, but to be honest it seems not to make too much of a difference.

I haven't bothered with resistors, but I should probably have done, so my LEDs will probably burn out after 10,000 hours instead of 20,000 hours...Damn...

Archived