Gaming Headsets

Mitchell Gee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, I was just wondering, who uses headsets and do you think there necessary? if you do, what do you use?

I use Turtle Beach x41's thanks too my brother (He gave them to me cus they give him headaches, so he gave them too me for free)

Thanks,

Mitchell

I use "1337" Ipod apple headphones init. No, as you know Mitchell, I don't for sound, for chat i use Xbox official wireless :)

• AF-UK Founding Member

If you want to play well or professionally then yes, you must have sound and it has to be through a good system. If you can't hear what is going on around you, you are at a disadvantage trying to rely solely on your vision.

Okay Mitchell, you have now spoken for everyone that I always speak to on Xbox, I will let you all hear my TV because of what you said...

Anyway FYI, i can hear it very well actually (down to the sound of the actual soldiers on BF3 saying "Sh**, Grenade" and "Grab your ammo over here" [that are about 10 meters away from me who are in the middle of firefights] so yeah), level 4 volume is pretty loud on my TV.

• 4 months later...

Turtle Beach PX3's. Fantastic wireless headset that works on almost everything. I find they help mostly with multiplayer gaming but to be honest everything sounds great through them when playing single player too.

EX-05's i use mainly because the sound is better through them than my tv speakers (deeper and more realistic explosions) mainly because i've fiddled with the settings as i can only really game at silly late hours due to work so dont wish to wake the rest of the household up

oh and they were half price on'tbay

When im running headphones, im using my Logitech G930 7.1 headphones :P

Little expensive but fricking awesome.

Got a creative HS-1200 wireless. Wish I had gone for the logitech 'over-ear' wireless ones rather than the 'on-ear' creative ones but its what im used to I suppose.

As the HS-1200 goes its got a decent range and good quality, not entirely sure about the call button on the headset but the volume and on/off button are useful.

Overall, decent entry wireless headset, cheap (for wireless) at around £60 - when I got it. If you want something to wear for hours on end get an 'over-ear' design.

• 7 months later...

I use Roccat Kave 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones with my Gaming PC. The surround sound is great for hearing things such as footsteps as you know exactly where they are coming from and it gives you an early warning.

Well since the post got revived!

I use the Tritton AX Pros (5.1). Great audio quality and it has a built in communications device so I can split my audio when recording :) Expensive but worth it. Although I dont use the mic. I have a Blue Yeti on a mic stand which acts as my communications microphone :) HIGH QUALITY AUDIO FOR THE WIN!

Turtle Beach X12 headset, really good. Might be worth adding that I also have a 5.1 speaker system on/around my desk also which I plug in every now and then for both Xbox360 and PC gaming :)

• 2 months later...

I bought a Plantronics Gamecom 777 Headset from eBay for 26 quid and they're amazing. Lightweight, comfortable, great quality and excellent 5.1 surround sound + microphone.

Would highly reccommend them. Only problem is that my mic's being retarded and hasn't been working for a while now, can't find what the problem is unfortunately.

Honestly doubt this is a common problem however as everything else about the headset is really good and when the mic did work it was superb.

:)

For PC I use Senheiser PC333D's 7.1 headset. Absolutely crisp beautiful sound, great mic quality. A jet flies over in BF3 and you know about it and which way

• 7 months later...
  • Supporters

Reviving a bit of a dead thread here, but for my birthday I asked someone to get me a microphone so I could improve the quality of the audio on my commentaries for my videos.

Well someone got me a Creative Soundblaster Tactic 3D Alpha.

On Creative's website, they're £60 a piece and it is honestly the most wank piece of computing hardware I have ever seen, used, or owned. Ever. It's intended for gaming, not to be a standalone mic, but in gaming the mic is still pretty important, right? You'd expect it to be better than the mic that my Mac has built into it already, would you not?

Well it isn't.

When recording audio, with the mic volume on full, on playback, with the volume maxed out, my footage drowns out my voice. Even if it's just general background noise from the wind and stuff. I can up the volume in the editing process using my video editor, but then it has reduced clarity and sounds like I'm talking through a bag of crisps that someone is constantly rustling.

So I looked it up online, and there are some firmware updates. Or rather one, firmware update. So I downloaded that, with the description basically saying that it lets you up the mic sensitivity so people can actually hear you.

But it doesn't. It essentially ups the max mic sensitivity by 14%, which is basically nothing, and in my video editor that gives me the option to up the gain, pre-recording anything, by 6 units.

Upping the gain, makes the sound quality go to shit. It is not a viable way to improve a product.

In short, this is genuinely unfit for purpose and I can't believe they actually have the audacity to charge £60 for something, that by their own admission required firmware to work, and still doesn't work to a desirable standard after installing the firmware.

/Rant.

• Supporters

I have a set of Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headphones for my gaming PC. Individual drives rather than the "simulated surround" style jobbers. Do the job of drowning out my tinnitus :)

• Supporters

I had them, really good headsets, but due to my swede sized head I broke mine :(

Yeah, I'm on my second pair! (equally melon headed, me!)

Pretty amazing for the money.

Archived