PS3 or XBOX 360?

Henry Wisdom
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright so I've finally decided I want an Xbox 360 or PS3. But I can't make up my mind of which I would prefer. I think I'm swinging more strongly towards the Xbox side but PS3 is certainly a strong possibility especially the slim version. I'm not to bothered about having to pay for online play on the Xbox either.

So what I'm basically asking is, can someone persuade me to go with one or the other and tell me the cons & pro's on both consoles?

Thanks very much. :)

• Supporters

I've been sitting on the xbox360 side of the fence for a LONG time now, then, the other day, my friend sold me her PS3 for a much cheaper price than you'd get one anywhere else.

I can honestly say I was wrong. Both have their merits and are decent consoles. One is catered more to the online experience (xbox360), but you have to pay for it, the other is less so but provides free online play. Aside from that, the only difference nowadays is that the PS3 is designed more as a social and media hub, it boasts inbuilt wifi and you can browse the web on it etc, it also plays bluray, and the xbox is designed for pure gaming experience (not sure if the newer ones have wifi built in or not).

My advice would be to look at what exclusive series' you like the look of. For me, I liked more of the xbox exclusive games than I did the PS3 exclusive games, so I decided to go for the xbox initially. Now however, it's the other way round and I've found the pull of Ratchet & Clank, GT5 etc and also PSone games on the PSN store, validates having both...

Ok thanks for the reply. I'm now swinging more towards the PS3 lol. I've decided that the PS3 has enough games which I'm interested in getting, most my friends have it, and Xbox have announced that they'll be releasing the new Xbox next year. So if I am disappointed with the PS3 I can always try flog it on and upgrade to the new Xbox when it comes out which I would of probably done anyway if I'd gone with the the Xbox. So I think it would be a waste purchasing a brand new Xbox which is only gonna be used for a year.

Am I right to make my decision based on this? Or do I need to take more into account?

If you can afford it, personally i'd say neither. Build a Gaming PC. Would be a lot more price wise but i'd say well worth it :)

Pros

Source Development Kits + Mods for games

Steam sales dramatically reduce the price of games xD I think i paid £25 on the sale for a pack that usually costed £130 ish

A lot more useful, I do everything on my PC.

Cons

A lot more expensive

You get what you pay for, Cheap part is a cheap part.

I've had two Xboxs red ring and a PS3 burnout on me :/ Not a fan of either anymore

• Supporters

My main problem with gaming PCs is the rate at which PC games exceed each other in terms of hardware requirements, and also the fact that gaming stores and increasingly developers are neglecting the PC.

Used to be a hardcore PC gamer, nowadays I'm not convinced it's worth it :(

I worked in Game over christmas, so I was asked this question a lot.

Its like Finius said, both are high performance gaming machines. The xbox is better geared to online gaming, whilst the ps3 is a social media hub, with the best blu ray player available. They each have specific titles, such as halo and gears of war and forza vs uncharted, resistance and gt (as an example).

In response to the "faults" yes the original models had a manufacturing defect causing them to stop working, but the new slims of both have ironed out those problems.

Ps3 has the advantage that its games are on blu ray. This is good for games like LA Noir - all on one disc, as opposed to the xbox that has 3. Obviously not a massive deal, but if you cant look after one disc very well you will struggle with 3!

Kinect vs playstation move? I would say kinect every time. Move is a massive improvement over wii, but you are still holding and navigating with a remote. I think kinect has the much greater potential.

Whilst I would agree a high end gaming PC has advantages, such as game prices, there are issues too with the massive start up cost. And its more likely you and all your friends will get a PS3, then you and all your friends will have the money to make high end gaming rigs. Lastly, buy an xbox game, pop it in the xbox and it will work. buy a pc game and stick it in the pc? not so much. You could argue you just need to update bits as they go out of date, why not just buy a new console when it goes out of date?

Thats my opinion anyway. Also, I hate PS controllers, and always have :)

p.s. 360 slims do have built in wifi

Yeah I'm not a fan of gaming on PC's. PC's don't like me and I don't like them much either lol... There not reliable enough. :/ I've gone back with the Xbox, final decision.. Getting 250GB with Skyrim and Battlefield 3 Limited Edition. Might also buy a 12 month membership card, but not sure yet.

Anyway, thanks very much guys for the help. :)

Yeah I'm not a fan of gaming on PC's. PC's don't like me and I don't like them much either lol... There not reliable enough. :/ I've gone back with the Xbox, final decision.. Getting 250GB with Skyrim and Battlefield 3 Limited Edition. Might also buy a 12 month membership card, but not sure yet.

Anyway, thanks very much guys for the help. :)

I have always been an avid PS3 fan due to bluray and media hub use, but I got offered an Xbox Halo edition cheap and don't regret buying it at all, and now with the Kinect it's even better, so just buy both! With my 50" Panasonic I now have a Wii, Xbox 360 with Kinect and a PS3 Also running as a media server streaming movies music etc from my 1tb hard drive through my MacBook and a new 5.1 surround sound which makes gaming even better!

Sorry for showing off but it was a good Xmas and recent birthday!!! Hence the current set up.

id go with what ever your friends have imo game wise apart from a few exclusives most are available for both, ive had my ps3 years and its still fine and all the integrated tv players etc are very handy if you dont have sky etc to record stuff and i stream films/music from my laptop quite often aswell so the ps3 makes for a great all round system dont have a xbox so cant comment on that one would avoid the wii for definate though lol

• Supporters

I had an Xbox first because all my mates got them, but it broke within 6 months with the whole red ring of death thing. My dad bought me a PS3 after that and I much preferred it. The only down side was that all my mates were on the 360.

I think the PS3 is better than the Xbox in almost every way, it comes with blu-ray, it has an internet browser, you can practically use it as an internet enabled TV, iPlayer and 4OD are both already built into the console for example. The online experience is free and practically identical, you just can't have private chats and the console doesn't come with a microphone. This wasn't a problem for me though as my mates were on the Xbox lol, the controllers have battery packs built into them that last for 40+ hours where as you have to either spend extra on recharge kits for the Xbox or keep forking out for AA batteries...

I've not used the Move or Kinect features on either so I can't say anything about those.

Having said all that, I have since bought another Xbox and after I bought it I never touched the PS3 again other than to play all the DLC I had for RockBand2. I sold it a while back to buy my MP5 lol, but I've been thinking about getting another one for Gran Turismo 5 and Uncharted 3.

Personally, I'd say to get a PS3, I miss mine and the built in wi-fi is much better than the wi-fi on the Xbox, or at least it is on mine.

Xbox is only the intelligent choice if you either have friends with 360s, or you like all those crap Xbox 360 exclusive titles like Gears of War and Gaylo lol.

another thing ti think about is backwards compatability does the current xbox have this ? if so then when new one comes out you dont need to start from scratch again as you have old games you can play where as playstation 3 doesnt as they took it off which could mean they may do it with the next console aswell (although you would hope they listen to their customers and keep it on the next one)

i know they are old games by then and probably wouldnt play much but its a nice thing to have every now and then when you get one of those cravings to play a old game lol

• Supporters

360s don't have full backwards compatibility, I have a whole host of original xbox games that don't work, Ghost Recon Summit Strike being the most annoying as that was one of my favourite games. =[ But a lot of them do work as well, I don't really understand why only a few work, but that's the way it is. There are websites that tell you if it'll work or not.

The early PS3s had total backwards compatibility but for some reason they removed the feature and now, the newer ones can only play PS1 games.

360s don't have full backwards compatibility, I have a whole host of original xbox games that don't work, Ghost Recon Summit Strike being the most annoying as that was one of my favourite games. =[ But a lot of them do work as well, I don't really understand why only a few work, but that's the way it is. There are websites that tell you if it'll work or not.

The early PS3s had total backwards compatibility but for some reason they removed the feature and now, the newer ones can only play PS1 games.

ok i think they removed it after they made the console cheaper didnt they?

Alright so I said I went with the 250GB Xbox with Matt black finish...

After doing some more research I came across the 320GB LIMITED EDITIONS! Sadly both the Gears of War and MW3 were out of stock on all the cheap sites like Game and Game Station so I went on Ebay where I found a MW3 "Unwanted Christmas Gift" still in its box going in 15 MINUTES! I outbid the guy in the last 25 seconds and it didn't go in until the last 4.. So yeah, bet he was GUTTED! (= XD

• 4 months later...

Has to be the 360 for me. Best controller, best online network, the best games. Yeah you have to pay for Xbox Live but I personally think it is worth it.

Archived