Site Review - AWA Herts

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, this is my opinion on AWA herts airsoft :)

Alright, so firstly the site is woodland, this means there is plenty of woodlandish type stuff, you know, tree's hills, bushes, mud, water, that kinda stuff, it also has a few old bunkers (presumably from WW2 or just after?) that you can't enter but they provide decent vantage points from on top off (there's only one marshalls appear to allow you on though, as I saw one giving a smaller person a boost up) and there is a makeshift one built into the side of a hill that they seem to base atleast one game a day on.

When you go into the site you see a fairly makeshift safe zone, gazebos as shelter with plastic chairs and logs to sit on, with a bit of wood as a table, although it does have a decent on site shop, selling food, drinks, pyros and BB's, you also have Red 1 Airsoft's tent there, that sells similar things with the added bonus of guns, gas, different brands of BB's, tactical gear and other airsoft related things, as well as an onsite battery charging facility. I question the legality of AWA's shop though (not Red 1 Airsoft, you can't fault them) as they sell pyros to anyone, this includes under 18's but I presume they stay legal as part of the agreement your parent/guardian signs.

The marshals there are friendly but can seem slightly dis-organised, and the head marshal seems quite clueless and a little rude (personal experience though, he may just have a grudge against me for some reason) and the sites rules seem to be constantly changing, one time under 18's can wear just eye protection, the next its eye protection + lower face mask and others its 1-piece masks only, so if your under 18 and you go there I would recommend bringing a one piece mask just incase, a mask related issue can back up my point of the head marshal, my friend asks "can I wear goggles and a half face mask?" marshal says "I don't know, can you?" then walks off and doesn't come back.

The site limits for AEG's I think is 1 Joule (I forgot what that translates too in FPS) but they never, and I mean never chrono ANY guns there unless the receive a complaint about someones gun.

The games themselves aren't too bad but they tend to drag on, and become slightly repetitive towards the end of the day, and the next open say feels very familiar after you have been to one there before, don't get me wrong, the location is good, and the games are fun but they seem very repetitive and sometimes confusing.

Overall this site is decent, because of the low priced entrance fee (£20, most sites I go too are £35) but the poor organisation can make things confusing and boring, but it's a lot better than sitting at home doing my 'homework' (Facebook!)

Pros:

Cheap entrance fee

Friendly staff

Regular players there are very friendly and helpful

Good games

Good location

Good onsite shops

Cons:

Slightly repetitive

Dis-organised Marshals

Lead marshal can seem rude and clueless at times

confusing games

No gun chronos

questionable legality

I know I seem to be hating on this site but it may be just my opinion, if you have any questions please ask away.

• 5 months later...

I'll agree with review, it's good if you just want to turn up and skirmish. But if you want to have any real kind of fun go to Viking.

It might be more expensive but the games are always different and unlike what I've experienced at AWA, it isn't full of non-hit takers.

But hey that's my opinion, if you don't like it then I won't lose any sleep over it!

• 10 months later...

Reply if I must, and I know this thread is rather old.. I have been marshalling at AWA now for 18 months to 2 years.. In my opinion your review is rather wrong and outdated. The FPS limit on our site is 328 + 10%, over 18's with bolt action sniper rifles can be up to 500 FPS on a 0.2g BB.. We crono, we are organised hold multiple team meeting discussing game tactics and scenarios. Face masks are a legal requirement for under 18's. As we are based in 68 acre forest I find it hard to say games are repetitive these days, every week there are new games and most of them do work. Unfortunately you do have to keep some games simple for the rentals and new players. So some of the stuff I would have agreed with 12 months ago but I still Maintain and push even more these days that AWA IS a premium Airsoft site!

Regard

Jim

Proud AWA senior Marshall! (Head Marshall ;-))

• 3 months later...

Archived