Airsoft. The most expensive hobby in the world.

Tropic_Blunder
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Airsoft, we all love it and not just for the game either. A massive part of this sport is the seemingly endless customization to your weapons and kit, a black hole in which to throw your hard earned money if you will. Of course I don't have a problem with this at all, if its a choice between floral curtains with matching bed linen or a new sexy ACOG I know where my vote will go.

Of course my wife doesn't see it that way and doesn't understand the absolute necessity of a new vertical grip or 3 point sling.... Ahh women.

How do you guys deal with the non understanding of your better halves? The lovely creatures that they are.

I think it'd help if i told you that at least two members on here are female, one of which i do know kind of :P

I'm 13, i play airsoft with my friends and my dad

don't know if this has happened to you, but you go out and come home with a new gun and they'll always say, meh looks like your old one. even if one was two tone green rifle and one was RiF pistol but ah well.

Mate, idk really, all they know is how to cook dinner and im okay with that, they leave me with my guns. i'll leave them to make me a sandwich.

...actually, every now and then i do ask for money from my mother so im pretty much constantly in debt :lol:

I don't tell my mrs the true cost. I'm well in to 4 figures. She thinks I'm about £400 all in

Same here. Luckily she can't really tell one gun from another. So I try not to have more than 2 visible at any given time :)

So far airsoft has been cheaper then downhill biking (my previous hobby) however, it didn't cost me £20 every time i went

• Supporters

My girlfriend thinks it's stupid as well, but as of yet we aren't living together so I don't have to put up with her attitude towards it.

It's not as stupid as owning more shoes/clothes than days of the year and still saying you need more!

• Supporters
It's not as stupid as owning more shoes/clothes than days of the year and still saying you need more!

My instinct would be to go down this route, but a lot of women will entirely fail at getting their brains around the concept that eventually owning an entire house full of outfits is not a realistic goal in life.

I guess it only really becomes an issue if you actually live with your ball and chain, I've always lived in the barrack block and past girlfriends have lived in their own places.

Hahaha, i'm actually laughing at the anal comment. xD

Nah, living at home with mummy and having a steady (but small) income is quite nice to be honest.

Still, i have 3 hobbies now and i can see them getting expensive next year but i'm focusing on my reptile keeping before buying a ton of weapons as there isn't much point as i'm 18 in Jan 2013 xD

in fairness to airsoft its only as expensive as you make it yourself unlike some sports.

as for gf mine stays at my house most of the week so not far off living together lol and she always moans about my bedroom as it has a set of alloy wheels a full car sound system and about 10 guns dotted aorund the room and the kit lol. and price wise i always knock abit off how much anything costs and thats not just airsoft lol dout she will ever be into it either

Just getting into the sport properly... just got UKARA etc...

Mother thinks im spending about £450...

Gun, pistol, gear, clothes etc will come to about £1000 :D

Good ol student budgets :P

My parents think i trade a lot more then I do, I also pretend I have a lot less money then i really have :D

• Supporters

My mum has no idea how much I spend really.. I have four guns, she thinks I have two, and she can't tell them apart.

I got a gun case for Christmas, she asked why I wasn't using it. I said I was, there are two guns in it and showed her them. She then asked where the two on my wall came from..

My mum has no idea how much I spend really.. I have four guns, she thinks I have two, and she can't tell them apart.

I got a gun case for Christmas, she asked why I wasn't using it. I said I was, there are two guns in it and showed her them. She then asked where the two on my wall came from..

Haha! very funny! my noraml line is "don't worry its for film" i also get a lot of stuff sent to school, however, will be difficult explainng the large Uktactical packet arriving tomorrow :)

Hmmm. I know that one. I seem to have endless packages arriving or I get carded. I then get "what's that?"

Me- Errrrr

Her- it's more airsoft stuff isn't it

Me- Yes?

Me- Errrrr

Her- it's more airsoft stuff isn't it

Me- Yes?

then followed by...

Her- don't you have ebough

Me- NO! but em this is different

Don't ask, don't tell.

Err...

I always 'underestimate' the cost of this addiction hobby.

For example, I recently bought a 'new' pair of surplus 95pat DPMs. I said they cost me £6 rather than the £10 they actually cost.

Or my carbine. I 'underestimated' that too. As far as my parents know, it cost me £110 less than it actually did. True, I did get a slight discount from the shop I bought it from as I traded in some old gear - but sadly, not £110...

But I look at it like this, I could be spending my money on worse things. Like online bingo sites. Or WoW. Or crack.

haha! I tend to say that like my gun was £70 cheaper then it was but really £50 etc and just not mentioning i brought stuff :)

Heard of this guy who used to get a new racing bike each year... in the excat same colour :D

(shed filled with red bikes^^)

Same here. Luckily she can't really tell one gun from another. So I try not to have more than 2 visible at any given time :)

This.

My partner would say it is the most expensive hobby in the world, and I have to agree with her that sometimes it seems like an endless pit that swallows cash. But hey what can you do eh?

You want to try historical re-enacting, that's bleeding expensive, well the period I do is. I have spent at least a grand in the last year to get myself kitted out, let alone the tent, trailer, wife and kids kit and I still have more to get hold of. In the case of airsoft, its not too bad as I do sell guns I get bored of and reinvest the money in new toys.

Archived