ICS L85

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok.

My main aim in making this thread, at least for the time being, is just to find out what mags are compatible with it, I bought some King Arms H&K Branded mid caps from Nickona and they just don't work at all, they jam atrociously and I really can't understand why.

So that makes King Arms no good.

Does anyone know if MAG M16 mid caps will work?

Please list others you're aware of as well, this thread can work up to being a know it all guide about the ICS L85, I'll compile all the info into a list in the advice section or something as it's added here.

Cheers.

• Supporters

I wouldn't use the PTS EMAGs, it might just be me that's unlucky with my particular rifle, but my EMAGs just fall right out if you so much as look at the mag catch, lost one the first time I took it to a game. Ironically, though they are tough to insert, my old style PTS PMAGs (120 round, non M-version) are a lot more secure.

• Supporters

Know of any STANAG style mags that are compatible? I'm not a fan of EMags, or many things Magpul for that matter.

• Supporters

Finius has said that he uses Ares L85 mid caps and they work fine, but I can't find anywhere that sells them in sets of 5/6/8/10 and to buy individually they're around £15 =/

So I'm trying to find a box set that I know will work. MAG have box sets and so do G&P, though the G&P ones are just a tad expensive..

There are Ares L85 low caps, which I may have to resort to using, I imagine they'll be exactly the same as mids but with a shorter spring in them?

But I'd rather have mids, as using a 30 round mag in an AEG will actually only get you 26 shots and I'm picky about stuff like that and I've been told it would be hard/impossible to load real caps with the needed 34 shots in order for it to fire 30.

If anyone can stand against that then please do, as I'll then happily buy the low caps and stop bothering to look for mids and ask compatibility questions lol.

I've checked my mags after that PM I sent you...

My one and only STANAG mid-cap is a MAG type, 90 rounder. Locks in very snuggly (it's a tighter fit than my ICS supplied magazines...), but, as I said in the PM - it only fires about 3/4 of it's load.

This could be because I got it second hand, or because my LSW doesn't like it. As I only have the one, and have only used it in my modified LSW, I can't say that it's an accurate test.

Never fired it from my L86 Carbine.

EMAGs work fine (and in my mind look amazing), but are a bit on the lose side - really need to be seated firmly to make sure they feed properly - but, they have yet to fall out.

• Supporters

Cheers Hubert,

I don't suppose you could do me a massive favour and confirm the state of the spring in the MAG mag you have?

I'm not entirely sure how I'd personally go about doing it, but if you look into the feeding lips and the spring doesn't reach them when the mag's empty then it's probably a weak spring.

Alternately, you can take the spring out of the mags with a little twist latch on the bottom, just turn it 90 degrees and the spring will just slide out, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to tell whether it's worn or not but could you have a go?

8 mid caps would be much better than 10 lows and these MAG ones seem like an alright deal.

The only thing that puts me off is that they look like the exact same design as the ones I got from Nick...

• Supporters

2 companies can take the exact same schematic and produce 2 very different end products. I'd imagine there's quite a lot of companies producing the very same design of 100/120 round midcap STANAG mag, but the materials used, the tolerances your moulds are made to, skill of the factory workers, QC procedures.. all vary quite a lot between brands.

I used MAG 120 rounders exclusively for about 2 years when I first started out, up until I got my PMAGs, served me extremely well. Reliable, light, uncomplicated, resilient and most importantly of course, cheap. I had a try just now and they do fit my ICS A2 quite nicely, not had a chance to test fire though unfortunately.

• Supporters

Would you mind checking they feed alright when you've got a spare minute? I'd really appreciate knowing they work.

• Supporters

I do have a slight issue in that I'm entirely lacking my inner barrel right now, so I'll need to have a little think before I potentially mess up my hop unit or something. But if I can give them a test, then I shall.

• Supporters

My ICS L85 will take what I tell it to take.

It also takes ARES mags - metal and plastic, TM mags, MAG mags, ICS mags, CA metal mags, ACM mags and Magpul E-mags.

The only mags I have tested in it that don't work are KA mags, but the mags I tried were naff anyways.

• Supporters

Right, awesome.

MAG mid caps it is then.

I shall let you know how angry I am with you all when they arrive and don't work lol. Just kidding.

Cheers for the help.

I've been looking for some MAG M4 mags but can't find them, does anyone know where to get them?

• Supporters

Nick the ones I'm getting are on Airsoftsupplydrop, but don't buy the last set >:-( lol.

Nick the ones I'm getting are on Airsoftsupplydrop, but don't buy the last set >:-( lol.

haha you best be quick :D dw it says 3 in stock and i might get the OD ones and A-TACS them

• Supporters

Just ordered some Nick, so no worries.

Also just got an email saying that the twist barrel I've ordered is out of stock <_<

Does anyone know where I can get a 509/510mm TK hop twist barrel?

I've heard rumours they've been discontinued but can't find anything concrete... Anyone know anything?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Mags just arrived.

They feed flawlessly :3 thanks go out to Finius for confirming they work before I ordered them.

They're a quite horrible shade of grey though, it's sort of metallic looking and literally every inch of them is exactly the same colour, I thought there'd be a degree of variation on the top and bottom or something, they look seriously horrible until they're sat in the gun.

But they work fine in my M16 as well, plus I already had two working mid caps, so I now have 10 mags =D

So that's the mag question out of the way. MAG M16 mid cap mags fit and feed, confirmed by me.

According to Finius and Zero One, Ares L85 mid and low cap mags fit and feed.

ICS hi-caps fit and feed perfectly, the gun comes with two, again confirmed by me.

Anyone know of any others with 100% certainty?

I've ordered an L96 AWS barrel for the TM for my L85 too, I think I might live to regret it, but only time will tell.

Does anyone know for sure that it will/won't work? The L85 barrel just seems to slip into the assembly, there's very little in the way of a retention mechanism it just seems to sit there from raw compressed friction-y-ness, so I don't see it not staying in, it's just the hop cut that's worrying me.

• Supporters

What are the buckings? The little tube things that press into the rubber?

Or are the buckings the actual sleeve that goes around the barrel?

• Supporters

So if the rubber sleeve is the 'bucking' why do people consistently talk about it in plural? There's only one rubber sleeve...

That's where my confusion has been this whole time.

Plus, I always thought that the nub was the part of the hop up rubber/sleeve/bucking that protruded into the barrel, not the part that pushed onto the protrusion from the other side to make it stick into the barrel.

But anyway, so are VSR buckings vastly different from AEG ones? How so? Longer? Fatter? Protruding bit in a different place in relation to either end?

If it doesn't fit I shall try VSR bucking and if that doesn't work I'll look into bodging it somehow.

If hop twist barrels are really as good as people make out then I might not even need the hop up to work, I'll just stick any old rubber sleeve around the end, bung up the hole in the barrel so it doesn't create an unwanted air pocket and then heat shrink it for an air seal or something.

If all that fails, I'll try to send it back and if I can't do that, I'll sell it on here with like, £10 knocked off (the barrel, not the hop parts). Assuming I've not sliced it to pieces or whatever.

I just googled "VSR bucking" and it looks just like the bucking I had in my R700, I ended up upgrading that with an AEG barrel and the stock bucking worked on that just fine. In fact I think it might've worked better with AEG bucking. So I see no reason why AEG bucking wouldn't work with a sniper barrel so long as it's fitted in an AEG.

I'm excited about trying it!

I just wish Fire-Support would send the damn stuff I ordered out to me, already! I ordered the barrel on boxing day FFS.

• Supporters

Ok so the TK barrel didn't work, but I got a madbull 6.03 instead and a madbull blue rubber and I think what I have now is basically a sniper rifle when I use .25s xD

I might buy an M130/40 spring and turn it into a DMR.

New question for the thread, I don't have a chronograph myself, can anyone tell me what the gun shoots at one all three tension settings with the stock M120 spring?

With .20s and .25s if you wouldn't mind?

I've been trying to find videos but they all seem to be based in the US and I'm sure that the UK version won't shoot over 400 on the highest tension, it's only an M120 spring, doesn't that mean 400 would be the highest? Though actually, an M120 ought to be at 400 under standard compression, so I guess if I up the tension then it's not impossible it'll be higher, I just want to know for sure before I take it.

I've set the gun up a few different ways and it works by far the best on the highest setting, so I need that setting to be 370fps or lower using .20s, or I'll have to lower the tension, and therefore the amazingness of my gun, to be able to use it. D=

Archived