What Charger?

Tariq
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im getting an AEG when i get back to uni, but have no idea what charger is what.

I'll be getting either 8.4 or 9.6V batteries (mini).

Im looking for a charger, not dead cheap but on a lower budget.

Wanting one that preferable is just plug in and go i.e. automatically has the right settings and will stop charging or let me know when it is fully charged. Trickle and fast charge is a must.

Dunno which model or where to buy :/

Cheers guys

• Supporters

I've got one of these:

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...t&id=CCIVAP

Does the job nicely, comes with an adaptor to fit both large and small type tamiya connectors and it has a red/green LED to let you know when the battery is charged. Time it takes in dependant of the size of the battery but if you charge them all a day in advance then you'll have no worries, it's worked fine for me over the past 7 or 8 months.

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/airsoft_chargers.html

Pretty cheap, different sizes, trickle, mine charges quite quickly.

Only problem with royal mail postage which took about 10 days first class -.-

Really happy with mine and i got my battery there which seems to be amazing :)

Im after something that i can also take to sites, and quickly charge my battery in 20 mins or so at lunchtime etc. As some sites don't really have thier own chargers. But as well as having a slow charge for over night charging etc.

Are those chargers able to do that? Im under the impression i need one of those smart chargers or something. Budget wise i can go up to £50 tops

Also not a fan of those "light up" ones. Would prefer a buzzer as i would most likely over charge it :P

If your budget is upto £50 you could go for an I-max B6 or an accucel,each of those would charge any battery type of any voltage,they'll also cater for Lipo's if/when you change to them..

• Supporters

Can anyone tell me what Lipo charger to get? I don't want to spend more than about £20 on it, but the Lipos I've got have Tamiya connectors and none of the chargers I'm looking at seem to have any apparent type of connection...

It's damn confusing.

cheers

Not really looking for that exotic though. Won't be using lipos just because i can't be bothered with them. Im a lazy sod :P

Also... whats a ballance charger? How is it different to a normal one?

Is there anything that will do the job, but simpler. They look a bit complicated to use with all the ballance functions.

Sorry to go on and be so pedantic :P

• Supporters

I want to know about the balance thing as well, I've heard it mentioned a lot with regard to lipos but have no idea what it even means...

ive got this charger and it works a treat,you can charge your batterys via plug or charge 8.4v from a car battery or car plug,charge a car battery from a house plug,discharge batterys.it comes with large and small tamiya ,crocodile clips,and battery clips. You choose charging from either 1 amp,2 amp and 3 amp http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/mw3610-as.html

I've got a cheapo turnigy charger for my lipos, you just plug the balance lead in to the charger, you dont do anything with the tamya/deans connector, and in about 20-30 mins ta daaa!!

With regards to what the balance lead is for, it's relates to the fact that if you let the Voltage in your lipos drop too low you run the risk of fooking up your batt, so you have to make sure that when you charge the battery, the voltage in the separate cells is the same so they drain at relatively the same rate that way you don't end up with one cell that's partly drained and one that's knackered.

So you connect the balance lead to the charger which charges the cells and if one has more charge than the other it simply balances them.

Now if any of that makes sense to anyone I will be very happy because I have spent most of my evening drinkininge alcomohol :) Merry New Christmas Year!!

• Supporters

Haha, Merry Christmas to you too, thanks for that info, been trying to figure out what plugs into what for a while. I'm pretty much set for my L85 now =D

• AF-UK Founding Member

Cheap charger and LiPo's don't mix. You'll be glad you spent some reasonable money on it rather than getting an eBay £5 special which burns your house down (yes it has been done!)

With regards to short charging times, if it is empty, expect it to take an hour whatever the charger. You shouldn't charge over 1C so it's always going to be like that.

By 1C I mean 3A for 3000mah battery, 2.1A for a 2100mah battery, you get the pattern.

@josh

That charger seems to be pretty reasonable. Cheers.

Will look into it in the new year when i get the AEG. OOS for most stuff ATM

Cheers Dev, that's a very good point. I will be purchasing a decent charger when funds allow. Until then I'll keep charging in a lipo bag, with a bucket of sand on standby.

• AF-UK Founding Member

I'd say £20 is minimum, but it might still feel a bit cheap. I spent £45 on mine year and a half ago maybe and it feels and looks much more solid than some.

LiPo bag and sand nearby is wise I guess! If the charger is quality and the cell voltage doesn't go too low then you will be fine!

Archived