L85 WE Gas Blowback Rifle Purchasing Rules

Spencer
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I would like to buy a L85 WE Gas Blowback Rifle. I am not sure if I would have to have a UKARA Licence to buy this gun from the uk, and have it posted to my house, in the uk?

Would this require a Licence? Even if I just want it for Private Land?

I would like to buy a L85 WE Gas Blowback Rifle. I am not sure if I would have to have a UKARA Licence to buy this gun from the uk, and have it posted to my house, in the uk?

Would this require a Licence? Even if I just want it for Private Land?

Yes, if you are form the UK you will need a UKARA or similar defence.

Yes, if you are form the UK you will need a UKARA or similar defence.

Would I have to be Registered on a UK skirmish site?

You have to have a defence, site membership, ukara etc

Ah thats a bit of a Bitch Considering there are no sites near me! Nearest is two hours away! :(

• Supporters

I was in your situation Spencer, I discovered gas blow back guns and was on the verge of killing someone to get hold of one, but then realised you have to have all this UKARA membership stuff and got really pissed off about it because I downright refused to get a two toned one. This was all before I even knew Airsofting existed...

So I spent about £200 getting my UKARA reg sorted out, bought one and ooohhhh, what a disappointment... Gas guns just aren't worth the effort unless you know the entire thing inside and out, which is hard to learn all of before you've gone and buggered it up by accident, not maintaining it properly or putting it back together wrong etc.

In going to play to get my UKARA though, I found that it's the most damn awesome and fun sport of all time and I've ended up getting really into it, decided after about a year that GBBRs are a waste of time and I'm currently building up my collection of electrics.

I was told this same advise and ignored it at my own peril and I wasted over £1000:

Do not buy a gas blowback rifle as a starting gun. Full stop, end of. I promise you, you'll regret it.

Ah thats a bit of a Bitch Considering there are no sites near me! Nearest is two hours away!

Every 2 weeks i travel 2 hours to get to ground zero woodland in a vehicle that does 11 miles per gallon as i love this hobby so whats stopping you?

maybe he hasnt got his own transport.

not going to lie, alot of sites i go to are a fair walk from any form of public transport and involve a long walk.

for one site which was held on a military training site i had to do a 18Km walk across country side to get where i needed to be due to it being the closest train station and no buses.

plus public transport has shot up in price these days (£17 from thanet to medway one way, in petrol i use £10 round trip)

but back on topic, The defense you would need is the UKARA which you get if you skirmish regularly (or at the very least for the first 2-3months)

but other defenses include those who partake in reenactment and those who work for film/media.

Or if you purchase it from some websites (zeroone do this) they can paint the rifle for you so that it meets legal requirements for sale to a person with out a defense, then you can buy the spare unpainted parts. and what you do with the unpainted parts is up to you

Thanks for all your help Gus. I'm going to look at getting the "electric automatic" version. After watching some videos of the L85 WE Gas Blowback, it seems to loose A LOT of power when shooting on full auto, and dies out?!

• Supporters

There are a lot of things wrong with the standard model. Parts are reported to fall off right out of the box, a lot of the internals need replacing, especially the bolt related parts.

If you're going to get a gas one, get the RA-Tech modified WE L85, all the faults have been dealt with and the rifle is generally improved overall. However, the price tag does jump up by about £200+ =/

Ought to be worth it though, I'd get one if I could afford it.

Don't bother getting the EBB one either, electric blowback is a gimmick unless you get the pneumatic type, once you own the gun and use it you'll take the feature for granted anyway and all it does is wear out your internals faster.

Best L85 is the ICS one, no blowback, but it's the best AEG I've owned so far, no doubt a lot of people on here will agree it's the best.

Archived