Lipo help/advise, never used them before.

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok, so I've ordered my L85, soon I'll get the RIS and then I'll be limited to using super small lipos that fit in the RIS.

So my questions are as follows:

I've seen people selling lipos on here and they seem to have two connectors, neither of which appear to be standard or tamia connectors, so first off, what needs doing to the wiring in the gun to make it run a lipo?

Secondly, what kind of ampage would a 7.2v lipo need to last me a whole day?

Thirdly, does anyone know how small it'll actually have to be to fit into the DD L85 RIS?

Finally, since the connectors appear to be different, I'll need a new charger as well, are they all the same or what? Should I buy a discharger as well? What are the costs of running lipos?

Cheers guys.

I've seen people selling lipos on here and they seem to have two connectors, neither of which appear to be standard or tamia connectors, so first off, what needs doing to the wiring in the gun to make it run a lipo?

you can order lipos with mini tamiya if required, most have deans fitted as they are better connectors or XT60's, but i would just replace connector in gun for a deans

Secondly, what kind of ampage would a 7.2v lipo need to last me a whole day?

depends on how much you shoot, if mosfet fitted etc, but as if any battery the bigger the better

Thirdly, does anyone know how small it'll actually have to be to fit into the DD L85 RIS?

cant help with this one

Finally, since the connectors appear to be different, I'll need a new charger as well, are they all the same or what? Should I buy a discharger as well? What are the costs of running lipos?

you need a balancing charger to keep them working, ImaxB6 very good unit for about £25, no need to discharge lipos, cost about same as other batteries but charger cost higher

would recommend a alarm/monitor only few quid but could save over discharging lipo when playing and then its very hard to recover, or better still get a mosfet fitted

• Supporters

Haha still learning what you like Are you Kejot?

And basically the same but they are vast improvement over NiCads&NimH`s And only for the NON-newbies IMO.

And my Acer REVO R3700 Arrived this morning and it is so damn Quiet i keep forgetting about it lol

Ok, so I've ordered my L85, soon I'll get the RIS and then I'll be limited to using super small lipos that fit in the RIS.

Change the gun to suit the Lipo's,they#'ll arrive as mini Tamiya's or Dean's(most popular),the second,smaller connector is the balance lead.

With the limited space you have on the L85 you will be better off getting 2 smaller MaH batteries,which is always advisable anyway so if one gets damaged/naffed you have the other to use.

I always buy pairs @ 1400~1750 MaH and swap over at dinner time.

Find out what they run std and then compare them on Lipo sites,most good ones will give you sizes.

If you buy the I#max B6 as suggested most of the leads are included although the power supply may not,it can charge/dis-charge and balance all batteries,and don't forget the fire proof bag.

It may seem a bit to shell out at first but the charger will be the only one you need,you'll spend upto £75 for the charger and lipo's

Lipo alarms are down to personal choice,I don't like them but I do use a lipo volt checker (<£5.00),just don't run them down too low.

They're not as dodgey as people make out just do research.

• Supporters

Ok so I'll need to get a new charger, grab a pair of small ones to last me the day and the connectors ought to be alright?

Is a deans connecter the big tamiya connector? Or am I thinking of something else?

Cheers for the help guys.

Ok so I'll need to get a new charger, grab a pair of small ones to last me the day and the connectors ought to be alright?

Is a deans connecter the big tamiya connector? Or am I thinking of something else?

A Deans (pictured) is sometimes referred to as a T connector,a large Tamiya looks like a larger Tamiya...

post-1071-1324416891_thumb.jpg

Ask for any advice there's plenty of help on this and other forums.

Google Lipo,lipo care,maintenance etc,etc..read up..

A little bit of help here...

• AF-UK Founding Member

A tamiya connector is a 'big tamiya connector' as you call it. The smaller tamiya connector is actually referred to as a mini tamiya.

Deans are as snuff posted.

Essentially:

- Get a LiPo specific charger

- Use the LiPo mode

- Preferably balance when charging

- Don't try to discharge

- Be aware more capacity = higher ampage

- Use deans

- Don't run the battery past its cut off, I think it is 3.0v per cell, some may be lower (3.7 is full, hence 2s LiPo's are 7.4v, 3s are 11.1v). You can get small devices which cut the battery off it is gets to this point.

- If you want to be safe, use a LiPo charge bag, I've never used one as I don't expect it to catch fire. Foolish maybe :P

• Supporters

Ok, I'll get on Google and get it figured out.

Hopefully my dad'll have most of the stuff I'll need as he uses lipos in all his RC planes.

• Supporters

Just found this: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/details1.asp/P...5/800mah-7v.htm and I'm thinking that this MUST be small enough to fit in the DD L85 RIS.

I know it's unlikely any of you will know for sure, so I'll just ask how long you think this will last? I'm a very very ammo conservative player, I started out with a GBBR and tended to use about 40 shots in a 40 minute game, I have 8 low caps for my MP5 and rarely get through more than 4 in an hour, so as you can see, I'm not trigger happy. My 8.4v large battery usually stays charged enough to be used on my next skirmish day as well as the last one, so do you think I'd need more than one of these? Would it be worth getting two just to be on the safe side? I'm quite surprised how cheap they are.

Also, since deans connecters have been mentioned, this lipo has tamiya connectors, would I still need a new charger for it, or would a regular charger do the job?

I promise this'll be the end of the questions lol.

Also, since deans connecters have been mentioned, this lipo has tamiya connectors, would I still need a new charger for it, or would a regular charger do the job?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DO NOT use a regular charger on lipos. You MUST use one designed for lipo or you will start a fire. Deans and tamiya are just the types of plug/connector - they are nothing to do with how the battery works or should be used.

As for how long it will last, I'm not particularly trigger happy and run 1200mah lipo. I swap it over for a fresh one at lunch just in case. I'd say buy at least 2 800mah ones, but at £8 each then 3 to be on the safe side!

• Supporters

Alright cheers Hibernator, I found this charger, but how do I connect it to the batteries? It looks like it has crocodile clips... Do I just fasten them to the metal studs inside the tamiya?

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/details1.asp/ProductID/846/sid

You'll be better off with an I-max B6 or a Accucell charger,although the one you've shown is ok it's not as user friendly as the 2 I've mentioned.

They have read outs displays,alarms,timers,etc,etc and will charge all battery types and sizes,they may be a tad more expensive but you'd never have to buy another.

As for the battery that one is for an MP5 or similar the L85 can take something a bit more substantial like this..the shop I'm linking to gives you all the specification of batteries--->here..

Go into the techy area of this and other forums and explain what aeg you have and what you are doing with it(ris etc),give as much info as possible,i.e make?metal?etc, and ask which battery will fit,someone will have done it already.

• Supporters

Firesupport sell an L85 that comes with the RIS attached and they sell two different batteries that are listed as fitting, so I could just get one of those.

But since the 800mah ones are only £8, I figure I'm better off with them anyway. The ones FS list are 500mah larger, but they cost more than double the lipo from PB, at £19 each.

The ImaxB6 - I remember someone saying it might not come with a power supply? Surely it must come with a lead to plug into the mains, right? That'd just be stupid if it didn't, surely?

But with regard to the question from before, do the croc clips just fasten to metal prods inside the tamiya, or is the balance lead used for charging? I don't understand what the balance charging thing means...

Firesupport sell an L85 that comes with the RIS attached and they sell two different batteries that are listed as fitting, so I could just get one of those.

But since the 800mah ones are only £8, I figure I'm better off with them anyway. The ones FS list are 500mah larger, but they cost more than double the lipo from PB, at £19 each.

The ImaxB6 - I remember someone saying it might not come with a power supply? Surely it must come with a lead to plug into the mains, right? That'd just be stupid if it didn't, surely?

But with regard to the question from before, do the croc clips just fasten to metal prods inside the tamiya, or is the balance lead used for charging? I don't understand what the balance charging thing means...

Sometimes depending where you get the charger it will not always come with a mains lead especially if you import it because of the differing power supplies worldwide,if you buy it UK you should be ok..this one is complete..it was the first one I found BTW..

It will be supplied with certain leads but even ones that you may need will only be a few quid each.

The balance lead is the smaller on on the Lipo-->robbed from anothe RC site....1. Benefits of using LiPo-Balancers for your packs

LiPo-Balancers eliminate the problem of cell imbalance, allowing your valueable LiPo packs to reach their maximum life span.

Traditional LiPo protection circuits simply terminate the charge when one cell goes above 4.25 Volts. This gradually reduces pack

capacity because the imbalance slowly increases with each cycle. LiPo Balancers allow the charging process to continue until ALL

cells have reached 4.20V while still protecting each cell from overvoltage.

• Supporters

Ok, so the balance thing seems pretty simple. I think I'll just pop into my local model shop and see if they can't supply me with a charger, then I can get a run down of how it all works and everything too.

Archived