New Member Again

Top Cat
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Just saying hi. I'm an ex-Infanteer who has (having spent a long time doing nothing militaristic) recently thought about the prospect of picking up a rifle and coming out to spend my weekends running around a field shooting at other people. It is fun, and I think we all agree on that, and so I thought I'd come on here and also get an eye for what the airsoft world is like and whether it's worth me investing some money and taking it up. I really need a hobby, being honest, and this seems like a reasonable way to enjoy some times of old again and meet some new people and generally have a good laugh.

So... Hi.

T.C

Welcome aboard! really, the only way you can see whether you want to spend money...is by actually trying it out. Most places have guns available to rent at a specific price.

Check on the Airbana map for sites and shops in your area :) That may help narrow things down!

So what's the crack with joining a team? Are there many and what's the easiest way to find them?

I have done extensive sniper training in the past, is it worth me grabbing something of that orientation to put my previous skills to best use? I feel inclined to do so, but I don't want to come across as treading on toes or anything like that, you know.

So what's the crack with joining a team? Are there many and what's the easiest way to find them?

I have done extensive sniper training in the past, is it worth me grabbing something of that orientation to put my previous skills to best use? I feel inclined to do so, but I don't want to come across as treading on toes or anything like that, you know.

when it comes to teams you can do little searching but most of the ones you'll find will be big teams only interested in pros

what I suggest is finding a site you like, go there a lot and normally you'll just come accross one, thats what i did :D

when it comes to teams you can do little searching but most of the ones you'll find will be big teams only interested in pros

what I suggest is finding a site you like, go there a lot and normally you'll just come accross one, thats what i did :D

Where in Oxfordshire are you buddy? I'm also here!

The reason I bought teams up is I'm not a driver so it'd be nice to find somebody to buddy up with on the transport front, as I figured airsoft sites will be largely in the middle of nowhere.

Where in Oxfordshire are you buddy? I'm also here!

The reason I bought teams up is I'm not a driver so it'd be nice to find somebody to buddy up with on the transport front, as I figured airsoft sites will be largely in the middle of nowhere.

I'm south oxfordshire, I play at a place in Winchester but mainly a place in High Wycombe call Xsite

I'm also a non driver but would be nice to meet up woth someone

I'm south oxfordshire, I play at a place in Winchester but mainly a place in High Wycombe call Xsite

I'm also a non driver but would be nice to meet up woth someone

South Oxfordshire too. How do you travel?

I'm just looking about, I'm not sure about all this. It seems to be a rather expensive hobby. (But then again what isn't?)

If it's going to be £40 odd for the day including hire, £20 on transport, £10 for food on site... even at once a month it's going to be £1000 a year and I don't know if I can justify it for a game of soldiers. Then getting serious about it is going to mean a £500 worth of kit, maybe more... it's all a bit pricey and whilst I genuinely like the idea of it I'm just not sure about that aspect.

• Supporters

Best thing to do is only hire for 3 games and then get your own gun, its much cheaper, and most good sites include free food in the entrance fee. Getting started can be costly but after that It's as expensive as you make it, £20 a time isn't too bad, just play once or twice a month and that can help keep costs down :)

Sniping is VERY expensive though so that probably isn't the root for you ;)

Best thing to do is only hire for 3 games and then get your own gun, its much cheaper, and most good sites include free food in the entrance fee. Getting started can be costly but after that It's as expensive as you make it, £20 a time isn't too bad, just play once or twice a month and that can help keep costs down :)

And how much is that going to cost me?

I assume the upshot of not being part of a recognised team is that I can wear whatever... well that's one cost saved. But the guns? How much am I looking to spend on a first one, with everything it needs? I'm happy to buy used off the classifieds or whatever.

Sniping is VERY expensive though so that probably isn't the root for you ;)

I was just looking this up. I read that airsoft weapons seldom shoot more than 50m anyway. If airsoft engagements all take place at about 50m, is there any real purpose for snipers? Or do they end up somewhat disadvantaged by a cumbersome weapon that is difficult to use in close quarters?

As I said previously I did train a lot in it, but we were engaging targets at in excess of 600m. If everything is going to be CQB I'm not sure I understand the purpose of snipers in an airsoft environment, why not just combine something like a G3 or an M14 with an ACOG and a good eye and you have something fit for both worlds?

for the prices etc. at Xsite its £45 to hire but that include lunch, gun, bbs, etc from then it £20 walk on but lunch is also included

guns, for a half decent AEG you're looking £120-£150 and clothing, have a look of the classifields as you'll be able to pick up some cheap webbing or clothing but DPM is only £10 in a surplus store

oh and so far airsoft has been a lot cheaper then Downhill Biking which is used to do

where abouts in S. oxon are you? also I normally go with someone

• Supporters

I think it's worth pointing out that sniping in Airsofting is vastly different from sniping in real life.

You won't be able to just buy a sniper, you'll have to buy a lot of parts and work on it to make it good, at the back end of £500 you'll be able to hit a man at around 50-70m with one shot, or so I'm told, sniper rifles are quieter but stealth is still a key as the ranges are obviously a lot shorter than real sniping.

But as above, if you're hiding in a bush 70m away it's unlikely an AEG player will be able to touch you so much as see you, unless they've really gone to town on their kit.

But on top of a highly upgraded rifle you'd also be looking at more expensive heavier ammo etc, it all really adds up.

As people have said, go and hire a few times at around £40 a time, catch the bug and then you'll live and breathe to buy the next bit for your kit lol.

• Supporters

The best thing to do for you probably is to play as aa marksman. Use a designated marksman rifle

Basically a semi auto assault rifle with greater range and accuracy- and m14/g3/slr/fal style rifle, you can still engage at long ranges but also be versatile enough to work in cqb

The best thing to do for you probably is to play as aa marksman. Use a designated marksman rifle

Basically a semi auto assault rifle with greater range and accuracy- and m14/g3/slr/fal style rifle, you can still engage at long ranges but also be versatile enough to work in cqb

Thats a good idea but will have to get a good one or there isn't much point.

If i see you at Xsite after xmas (guns broke ATM) I can talk through it all with you

Nick

I don't mean any offence by this and it's a genuine concern that I don't want so I thought I would ask the genuine question...

Doesn't this all just seem a bit like... sad?

I'm just getting the feeling it's a bit like a cross between paintball and model railways. Paintball to the extent of running around a field on a saturday afternoon shooting non-lethal ammunition at each other ( :D ) but model railways to the extent of getting all fussy about which gun goes with what ( :mellow: ).

I have done paintball and I do quite like the idea of paintball with a bit more co-ordination and tactics, rather than everyone running around shooting anything that moves. But I don't want to get dragged down into something a bit political where the fun of playing the game is hidden away amongst people arguing about which assault vest you have or what pattern of camo. Because all that stuff, I really couldn't care less.

And on the gun front... does it really matter what you buy, at 50m? If you can't shoot at 50m you can't shoot.

well TBH there are different types of airsoft. The one a lot of people play is MilSim or try to get close to that. Thats the one where you try to look and do everything like the real military but without the death bit.

However, there are lots of people who just turn up and play for the fun but the main thing in airsoft is the gun so its worth getting a good one or one that feels right. Because they're based on real guns there are lots of different shapes and sizes which you need to think about and different guns are good for different types of play and they don't all shoot 50m, some more some less, some shoot bbs quick some slow etc etc

well TBH there are different types of airsoft. The one a lot of people play is MilSim or try to get close to that. Thats the one where you try to look and do everything like the real military but without the death bit.

However, there are lots of people who just turn up and play for the fun but the main thing in airsoft is the gun so its worth getting a good one or one that feels right. Because they're based on real guns there are lots of different shapes and sizes which you need to think about and different guns are good for different types of play and they don't all shoot 50m, some more some less, some shoot bbs quick some slow etc etc

Cheers for that... but I suppose, as the levels of actually doing tactics and fighty things increase, as do the 'playing along' factors which are what I'm not feeling. Do you really get any more military-ism on walk on days than a day at paintball or is it much the same situation?

I'm really just a little sceptical on spending £200 on a toy gun. I suppose yes it is the equipment of the hobby, so no different to spending it on any other piece of equipment for a hobby... but still, I can't help it!

I think coming and doing a few games with a rental weapon is a good plan to see what I think. Would you take another in the car next time you go for a game? I'll obviously pay my share of fuel. I'm up for being open minded and seeing what I think of it.

well I did some working out a while ago about paintabll (as i used to paintball) and airsoft works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

and yes some milsim people do go on walk ons but no one will have a go if you don't go full milsim as long as you play the game properly. but the advantage is you don't get a bunch of kids running around like you at paintball (which is why I moved)

as for transport will have to see as transport varies a lot

where abouts in Oxon are you?

well I did some working out a while ago about paintabll (as i used to paintball) and airsoft works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

and yes some milsim people do go on walk ons but no one will have a go if you don't go full milsim as long as you play the game properly. but the advantage is you don't get a bunch of kids running around like you at paintball (which is why I moved)

as for transport will have to see as transport varies a lot

where abouts in Oxon are you?

Yeah the reason I looked at airsoft over paintball is the cost, ammunition obviously being substantially cheaper. And if/when I do buy a gun, obviously it's only a small amount per month for a bag of BBs and a walk-on or 2. I'd also quite like to do some of the bigger scenario based games and what not that go on now and then at the FIBUA villages and what not, and I suppose they need your own.

I'm near Didcot, by the way.

As a new person to the hobby, i can say it's not cheap to start.

I just spent £150 on rifle and face protection but i'm really happy with my rifle.

And with the like model trains, i think it's just a case of people spending a lot of money on their rifles, upgrading them and adding parts. It's like modding a car. They're proud of their rifles and want to show them off and be admired for the money and work they put in.

I'm hoping to go to Milsim in a year or two (when i hit 18). Applying for Stirling Airsoft which are quite serious Milsim guys. But until then, i'm going to turn up as often as i can with my money and have a laugh and a giggle while doing something which i love.

Archived