short circuiting?

M_P
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok, a friend has short circuites his m4 :rolleyes:

I'm no electrical genius so I can't really diagnose the problem- I can only guess a new motor is needed

It had no fuse, the battery works 100% fine other guns but when you pull the trigger (semi or full) nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure I need a new motor, or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

A short circuit usually involves sparks and a burning smell - you'll be able to spot whats gone wrong there :)

If it's just dead, it could be a lot of things. I don't run fuses in any of my ICS guns, so a lack of one is unlikely to be the issue!

The simplest thing could be the battery connectors have broken - the little metal prongs have been pushed out the plastic cover (assuming it's a mini tamiya).

Check the trigger block in the lower gearbox is OK - it could be that no circuit is being made when you pull the trigger.

Or you could have accidentally caught and cut a wire when reassembling the gun.

Have you soldered the positive and negative the right way found...

etc....

Not 100% sure on this but don't ICS guns use microswitches to activate the motor? If so, I've had to replace the microswitch on a team mate's M16 that was either ICS or Ares (not sure which but it had the quick change gearbox spring). The microswitch contacts had burnt to such an extent that they were only making contact intermittently for a while before they gave up completely. Total cost of repair was less than £2 (from Maplins) plus my time to unsolder the existing wires, cut off the contacts on the new switch and resolder the contact wires. Tested it at F&O Outpost last weekend and worked fine all day.

Before you think it's the motor, try taking it out and running wires directly to it from a battery, but suggest you clamp the motor lightly in a vice as it will jump all over the place when to connect up if it's not restrained. If it runs then it's the switch or wiring, not the motor, unless you've reversed the wires in the gun, in which case the battery will get hot very quickly as the anti-reverse latch will stop the motor running in reverse.

Archived