Is there a point where gas mags are beyond help?

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I have 4 mags for my pistol and they're getting really bad for leaking, they used to be fine whether I left them gassed a little, a lot, or not at all.

Now, if I don't strip them down, pour 8 gallons of grease onto the seals, fasten them back together, wait a few days for the grease to settle, then gas them to leave them in the cupboard... Then they pour gas out as if they're a tap the next time I want to use them.

So I'm just wondering if it's time to call it quits and just buy some new mags? Or is it normal to have to go through the 2 day rigmarole of dismantling, greasing, gassing and storing after every time I use them?

No it's not mormal, but it can happen. All my current gas mags are around 6-8 years old and have no problems. I did have some sticky valves on my Infinity mags after 5 years of storage, but they soon loosened up and are now working fine, and one out of 5 gas nades has a dodgy valve that needs replacing.

I'd suggest taking out your fill-valves (asssuming this is where they are leaking from?), and soaking them (inc their rings) in silicone oil overnight to clean them up. Also, periodically work the oil between any parts and valves you can get it into while it's soaking.

If that don't work then order some new valves, they're cheap enough. :)

• Supporters

The valves are fine, the mags are just designed quite badly, the bottom plate where the valve is housed is only attached to the main body of the mag by some push pins.

The gas just comes screaming out of the gap between the mag main body and the base plate.

So the lid for the gas well (the base plate) is held in by horizontal pressure from the pins, not vertical pressure. The two halves aren't being pushed together to make a seal, basically. They're just sat next to each other, or rather, inserted into each other and secured there. So any gaps between the two are practically preserved by the way the two halves are fastened.

I was thinking of using plastacine or blu tac or something... would that work?

The only thing stopping anything from leaking out is the O ring in the mag. I can take pictures if you want to see.

I think I'll try soaking them in silicone - but how am I meant to get a reservoir of silicone to dump seals in? I don't think I have enough.

It's not like I can squirt a whole spray can of it into a bowl or anything...

• 11 months later...

i use silicon adhesive to seal leaking gaskets, works a treat, even makes tm mk23 propane proof :)

h**p://www.maplin.co.uk/silicone-adhesive-sealant-46001

Archived