The 'What have you just bought' Thread

Cameron364

9 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

They're super fashionable right now (because of crossfit, whether airsofters know it or not) and people who've not served don't know the inevitability of the lower-body joints injuries they have coming their way.

Comparing using training plates (lets say for 6 hours a time, twice a month) to a career spent humping bergans or whatever isn't super relevant imo. 

Likewise joint problems are just really, really common across the general population anyway - about 30% of the population have some kind of musculoskeletal disorder. Furthermore for all the benefits of physical activity you do run the risk of injury, whether its your lower back from squatting or your knees from running.

Training plates aren't for me but if they make skirmishing a bit more challenging and fun for someone then crack on - its not a h&s concern imo. If you use a gbbr and have a water bladder you are close to training plate weights anyway. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Comparing using training plates (lets say for 6 hours a time, twice a month) to a career spent humping bergans or whatever isn't super relevant imo. 

Likewise joint problems are just really, really common across the general population anyway - about 30% of the population have some kind of musculoskeletal disorder. Furthermore for all the benefits of physical activity you do run the risk of injury, whether its your lower back from squatting or your knees from running.

Training plates aren't for me but if they make skirmishing a bit more challenging and fun for someone then crack on - its not a h&s concern imo. If you use a gbbr and have a water bladder you are close to training plate weights anyway. 

Well said bud 👍

• Supporters
4 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

I've applied for the Royal Marines so I'm using them for training and airsoft alike 😁

And @TheFull9 I'm aware of the possibility of damaging knees etc. so I won't be running about for the full day with them but thanks for the 'concern' masked in smarmy sarcasm 👍

lol, no concern for you big man you can do whatever the heck ya like to your own body.  Just stating facts for the lurkers.

Just like so many other fitness fads these things will have gone the way of the dodo in no too long.

6 hours ago, Luigi_s said:

Can I ask how you are finding the Dye? Still on the fence as I play mostly woodlands with scope etc 

Only played 1 game with it so far ( a full days skirmish).  It was good no issues aiming down my EVO with it but I think some guns might work out differenlt depending on the stock and scope height.

Exceptional protection I just wear a baseball hat backwards to cover my forehead then slip the mask on and tigtening up the ratchet strap at the back. Much less of a fafe than goggles/lowermask/hat. A lot more comfortable than all the straps in my previous setup as well. No fogging on the day at all and I winded myself a few times sprinting more than I should. Wish I could wear a boonie with it tho but the baseball cap should shade my neck from sun. 

Training plates aren't for me but if they make skirmishing a bit more challenging and fun for someone then crack on - its not a h&s concern imo. If you use a gbbr and have a water bladder you are close to training plate weights anyway. 

No,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never felt the need to carry more dead weight, if you want to train with weight carry more useful stuff like ammo and water.

just ask any marine, when carrying weight on a loadcarry do use 

a. Your private dumbbell/gym plates

b. Rocks

clue the answers b only idiots put heavy useless valuable kit to add weight because if something goes wrong and you're told to ditch the weight guess who can't because they paid good money for it

5 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

lol, no concern for you big man

hence the quotation marks, big man.

1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

because they paid good money for it

lucky me won them in a raffle so should I have to ditch them I won't worry too much 👍

• Supporters
On 13/07/2019 at 19:41, BibbsOnTour said:

lucky me won them in a raffle so should I have to ditch them I won't worry too much 👍

Well that’s a shit raffle prize ! 😡 could have given you something you ACTUALLY want ! 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Well that’s a shit raffle prize ! 😡 could have given you something you ACTUALLY want ! 🤦‍♂️

🤣🤣

lol, that's probably why they were in the raffle, when it comes to actually selling them, they can't give them away 😉

16 hours ago, Druid799 said:

🤣🤣

12 hours ago, Tackle said:

lol, that's probably why they were in the raffle, when it comes to actually selling them, they can't give them away 😉

Had a go with them yesterday and they're great for getting the rig to sit on you properly! I also won a Haley D3CRH among other things so was pretty happy with the outcome to be fair!😜

6 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

Had a go with them yesterday and they're great for getting the rig to sit on you properly! I also won a Haley D3CRH among other things so was pretty happy with the outcome to be fair!😜

Opinions are amazing really arent they.

For instance, you posted what you have just bought/won and all the comments are about why you shouldn't wear them, why the fuck you carrying weight, stupid blah blah. I'd happily run training plates in my PC, I just haven't got around the buying them yet. I like to 'dress' up as soldiers only because it looks cool, try to get my rifles looking realistic etc..

However,

I'd never dream of asking someone why they aren't wearing training plates, or wearing a plate carrier or running something more realistic than a ARP9 with drum mag. As long as they take their hits and play by the rules I couldn't give a shit whos stood next to me or shooting against me. It's their game to play, their money to spend and if they would rather wear tracksuit bottoms and run a high cap, then fair game. 

My point is, on the forums / groups etc.. that I look at, its normally the bog standard skirmisher type player (cant think of a better phrase) who questions others rather than other way around. Just find it strange. 

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

For instance, you posted what you have just bought/won and all the comments are about why you shouldn't wear them, why the fuck you carrying weight, stupid blah blah. I'd happily run training plates in my PC, I just haven't got around the buying them yet. I like to 'dress' up as soldiers only because it looks cool, try to get my rifles looking realistic etc..

However,

I'd never dream of asking someone why they aren't wearing training plates, or wearing a plate carrier or running something more realistic than a ARP9 with drum mag. As long as they take their hits and play by the rules I couldn't give a shit whos stood next to me or shooting against me. It's their game to play, their money to spend and if they would rather wear tracksuit bottoms and run a high cap, then fair game. 

My point is, on the forums / groups etc.. that I look at, its normally the bog standard skirmisher type player (cant think of a better phrase) who questions others rather than other way around. Just find it strange. 

I get your point, & on the whole agree with 99% of, sometimes there's too much snobbery & elitist behavior in the sport especially regarding kit & guns

but......

I do feel that forums, this one in particular, much of the "advice", which sometimes may come across as scorn or pisstaking, is actually being offered with the very best intentions, usually by players who have based their comments on their own experiences, which at times they've had to learn themselves the hard way.

personally, I'd always try to impart my own "life lessons", some of which may be viewed as mistakes, in the hope that others may then avoid the same mistakes, or at the very least approach them with caution.

that's just me, although I have been accused of blowing my own trumpet ?.

cant please all the people all the time lol.

2 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

However,

Very well said!

I can understand where they guys/girls/beings (it's 2019) are coming from when they advise about the dangers of running extra weight as some may not be aware of the damage it can do and I appreciate the fact they highlighted that although it could have been done a bit less sarcastically! I'm not really one to judge though as I can be very sarcastic when I want to be 😂

16 hours ago, Druid799 said:

🤣🤣

Just for the record too... I wanted to get some originally as being quite a slim build I struggled to get my PC to sit on me well as there was quite a bit of movement when trying to quickly get mags out or whatever in the heat of battle regardless of how tight I had it because I don't fill out all the areas and there's no solid backing in them from the factory so I couldn't get it fixed in one position. I was planning to get a lower weight, I think they advertise options between 1.6kg - 9.4kg or higher than that by request, but I now chose 4.5kg so I can kill two birds with one stone as it's not so heavy it'll prove too challenging on the field but it's heavy enough to use for the occasional extra challenge when training.

10 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I do feel that forums, this one in particular, much of the "advice", which sometimes may come across as scorn or pisstaking, is actually being offered with the very best intentions, usually by players who have based their comments on their own experiences, which at times they've had to learn themselves the hard way.

This is true with any sort of text/email/post as you can't ever purvey your actual tone in which you intend for it to be received because people can't read your facial expression or tone of voice etc. and that always seems to give people the wrong idea about what I'm saying/typing!😂

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Tackle said:

I do feel that forums, this one in particular, much of the "advice", which sometimes may come across as scorn or pisstaking, is actually being offered with the very best intentions,

Unless it’s me of course , then yea pretty much guarantee if it IS from me then odds are it’s intended as either a piss take or sarcastic as fook ! But that’s just me ! Well I am a grumpy old twat ! 😂😂

Few bits from AK2M4 👍👍

Gearbox shell

13:1 gears

Rocket HT motor

Really impressed with the speed of delivery, ordered Wednesday night 10pm and delivered Friday AM, unfortunately I missed the posty but fortunately I wasn’t in a rush anyway. 

011ECC77-619A-4AFA-9892-ABC2A16CF4A0.jpeg

I have considered running training plates as a sort of fitness thing, just never got round to getting them yet.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

ASG Red dot from Action Hobbies' boneyard. £12. 

tZj63MV.jpg

Been on the lookout for something retro-futuristic for the PDR-C before it goes off for paint.

Quite like how slim and blocky it is. Should fit the top of the PDR nicely.

12 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

tZj63MV.jpg

Been on the lookout for something retro-futuristic for the PDR-C before it goes off for paint.

I was looking for something like that for my PDR-C. The Russian style We-Con just doesnt quite suit. 

Maybe i'll just get one of those cheapy Kral Aria Wide RDS's which are only a fiver. Bit worried it will be too low on the rail though. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Or they are just repeating crap they have also learnt from other varying sources and not found out for themselves....

Serving people would obviously get bad knees from the weight, were talking airsoft here where people are hard pushed to wear the gear they own for any longer than 6 or so hours (even milsims I would say the same as people slope off for food, drink etc). Me personally, I have a set and I also have quite bad sciatic pain (again this is me personally) since getting a set and running them in my plate carrier its helped with the issues as my PC actually sits where its supposed to and is more evenly balanced after having a long hard look at where and how I had set up the externals, pouches etc. Yes, training plates aren't for everyone but as @BibbsOnTour mentioned they come in varying weights from 1.6kg upwards (and judging by majority of airsofters who carry way to much unnecessary shit anyway people can hardly talk about carrying to much weight). People actually thinking about their kit and setting things up right would barley notice any difference. hell I had a guy this weekend adamant he was taking three guns out to each game, two of which... guess what... stayed by the spawn the whole time.

This ^

Instead of bashing the people that do have them or want to run them in whatever weight they choose why not be productive and ask questions about them and what benefits they have found from using them, again yes armed forces wear plates. They also do a lot of other things that airsofters don't do, like tab for insane amounts of hours in blistering heat not only carrying plates but ammo, weapons systems (that are a lot heavier than airsoft guns in most instances), water, radios, food, med kits.... the list is pretty long, so while I appreciate the weight of plates is adding weight to you i would hazard a pretty fucking big guess its not just the plates that would account for knee issues within the military... happy to be proven wrong if plates are the sole reason for bad knees.

Thing is, there are so many variables that could inevitably end in joint issues etc, for starters have a look around the average safezone & you'll see every body shape, from stick thin to morbidly obese, & it could be argued that most will load up with more kit than they need (or are used to), & when the whistle blows charge off across rough unknown terrain, every step inviting potential life changing injuries, & who's better to run the risk, the stick thin teen with still developing but very limited muscle mass, or the obese porker who while he's unfit, at least his body is attuned to carrying extra mass.

its a minefield, so to speak.

im not bashing the training plates as such, after all they're only a weight & at least being worn close to the body their prob less detrimental than a loaded backpack that may swing around if not loaded & worn properly.

but any weighted training aid needs to be worked up to, your exercise routine needs to have peaked & is maintainable at your current level before you add to it, for many airsofters putting on a pc & loading it with mags & water etc may already far exceed what their used to, especially if the don't have a regular exercise regime,  & adding weighted plated because the may have read it's "the thing" at the moment isn't gonna turn them in to athletes overnight.

im going the other way with my load-outs, a number of rigs according to what's needed, but for the average skirmish I'm going light as possible, enough water & mags for an hour, top up back in the safe zone, I've nothing to prove & am already carrying enough timber lol.

11 hours ago, L3wisD said:

tZj63MV.jpg

That looks  really nice very futuristic.