The 'What have you just bought' Thread

Cameron364

• Supporters

When I was a student in Liverpool a bunch of us used to club together to buy bottled water in bulk - because the tap water tasted like it had been through one too many scouser prior to arriving through our taps.

• Supporters

If you're a student living in halls then tap water IS free.

For those of us who pay water bills though; if you could drink enough tap water to affect your monthly bill by the cost of even 5 litres of bottled water I'd be amazed! A cubic metre of water (1,000 litres) from southwest water (most expensive in the country) is £2.05. Tesco value bottled water is 19p for 2 litres, a cubic metre of water at that rate is £95, 2 litres of tap water is £0.0041.

Tap water is effectively free if you're drinking it.

• Supporters

If you're a student living in halls then tap water IS free.

For those of us who pay water bills though; if you could drink enough tap water to affect your monthly bill by the cost of even 5 litres of bottled water I'd be amazed! A cubic metre of water (1,000 litres) from southwest water (most expensive in the country) is £2.05. Tesco value bottled water is 19p for 2 litres, a cubic metre of water at that rate is £95, 2 litres of tap water is £0.0041.

Tap water is effectively free if you're drinking it.

You know there is such a thing as a "principle". Effectively free isn't free. Someone has to pay for the water in student halls same as the water that comes out of ANY tap.

• Supporters

Not if the tap water tastes so horrible that you regularly find yourself dehydrated because subconscious disgust prevents you from drinking enough...

• Supporters

yeah, the students will be paying for that water, as well as the council tax, electricity and gas bills. doesn't change the fact that buying bottled water is daft!

You've clearly never tasted the tap water in Basingstoke.

Plus we bourgoisie have standards you know.

• Supporters

^^Only finest buffalo grass vodka in my AK's, tovarish!

I won't drink the tap water where I live in South East London, it's vile. In Glasgow however it's pretty clean and nice tasting so I've no quarrel drinking it there. The difference in water becomes apparent in that when I return to London, my hair doesn't feel "wet" in the shower. Its incredibly hard to explain but I think it must be something to do with hard/soft water and all that rubbish?

• Supporters

I won't drink the tap water where I live in South East London, it's vile. In Glasgow however it's pretty clean and nice tasting so I've no quarrel drinking it there. The difference in water becomes apparent in that when I return to London, my hair doesn't feel "wet" in the shower. Its incredibly hard to explain but I think it must be something to do with hard/soft water and all that rubbish?

Yup. That's exactly it. I live in one of the hardest water areas in the country. My wife moved here from South Devon which has some of the softest water in the country. The difference in soap consumption is ridiculous!

I've never drunken tap water in my life. Here where I live in ireland the shit has particles of unknown substance floating in it and it reeks of chlorine,not to mention tastes foul. In Ukraine it's a little more natural but sometimes it comes with some nice soviet probably harmful chemicals with a sickening grey tinge. In the countryside it's even worse,shit's downright rusty.

Don't know much on the topic, however have tap water through more filters, instead of the standard tap water (that has been filtered by a company) an the difference is unbelievable

Tbh, could be a bad thing, filtering out the minerals and leaving the pathogens (big boy biology now ;))