Warhammer 40k

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So after many many years of buying and painting miniatures of different kinds, I finally decided to start a warhammer 40k army so that not only would my miniatures look good, but they'd also be useful for some for of entertainment.

Airsofters, as well as having ink (see my other thread), usually like all sorts of gaming geekery, ranging from tabletop to console etc, so this thread seems logical to me.

So, 40k discussion time folks :D

Do you play? Do you just buy them to paint?

Tell me all and everyone else all about it!

I picked up a Tau Empire battleforce, then using my expert ebay scouring skills picked up three squads of firewarriors and two hammerhead gunships for £30; they won't match my main force (which is getting an odd looking multicam paintjob), but I'm styling my army as a really dirty, beat-up looking shock force (mechanised infantry with lots of heavy and fast attack, auxiliaries too in bulk), if I were forced to explain away how my multiple paint jobs fit in with the whole 40k storyline, I'm just gonna call them supplemental reinforcements from other units.

Once I've honed my skills with troop-painting a bit more, I'll post up some pictures! Unfortunately, it's been about a year since I did any major difficult projects, so the devilfish from the box set, which I did first, has turned out a bit badly, but it'll do. The first fire warrior was terrible too, but they're getting pretty damn good now - right down to tiny little white lines in the edges of lenses for reflections etc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do!

Re-started this year after a gap of about a year or two - but I always paint. Pretty good, I manage to sell my painting skills to others :lol:

Anyway, re-started for uni. Doing an Astral Claws army, during the Badab War, before they turn chaosy-traitor. Really enjoying it. I'd just like to say, Forge World's Imperial Armour campaign books are brilliant reads. Love them.

Got a blog on Warseer, under my username Huberticus.

Someone please explain the whole warhammer thing please

you go to games workshop and buy expensive models and over priced paint and tools and create armies that can be used in a table top game lol

my brother did dark angel space marines but i went the lotr route and have about 600 models all painted never played the game though

• Supporters

Those look awesome!

I'm building towards an apocalypse army (5000pt); definitely going to pick up some of the forgeworld kit; the other battlesuit commander (the blue one that reminds me of gundam) looks awesome and I'd quite like some of the "new variant" Tau Pirahnas, some of the other flying stuff and that'd about do me! Where do you find the majority of the rules for the forgeworld stuff? I know some is available to download as "experimental", but what about the rest?

• Supporters

Will have to try find a copy in PDF somewhere.

I begrudge buying something for an army if I don't know the rules, and I begrudge buying £20 rule books if they may simply show me that the "something" isn't worth having.

Got a few more secondhand bits today; mostly an absolute ton of gun drones.

Looking at moving my overall goalposts again - build an apocalypse army - including a couple of scratch built bits of kit.

Played a lot in 99-03 went to lots of tournaments all over the country, even won a few trophies for gaming and painting. Gave up when my lad came along as could not justify weekends away. He is now 8 so is getting into it so we now have regular painting evenings and even game a bit, though I have to tone down my competative army building and game play!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since arriving at uni, I've really gotten my geek back on, been painting a lot.

I started an Astral Claws army about 3 weeks before I left for uni, I took it down to London with me, slowly painting that - the Tyrant of Badab marine force is going along nicely, but I've put it on hold. Tried to paint some Imperial Fists (out of interest, never painted yellow before) Part way through building a 'true-scale' space marine and techmarine.

We must put a gallery of our work up here. I look forwards to seeing your stuff Finius.

Bloody hell, that's some nice painting...

I approve too do you get humans? I might buy some just to paint them lol

Warhammer fantasy (not sci-fi) - Humans -

Empire (renaissance europe, heavy German-Italian feel) (Leonardo parodies inbound...)

Brettonians (Or is it Bretonnians?) heavy 100 years war feel, anglo-french knight type of thing.

Warhammer 40K -

Imperial Guard. Plastic humans - modern American-British feel. Others are avaliable in metal (Soviet Style, Sci-fi Soviets, SS mechanised troops, Zulu Dawn era British)

And sort of human - Space Marines. Think - "if the Royal Marines/USMC issued their individual troops with a tank" and you're there.

I'd prefer it if GW stopped trying to re invent "cannon" every couple of years.

I've played these games since 95 and have steadilly seen them get more child-ish.

Yes i do have boxeas full of IG, Dwarves, High Elves, the remnants of the Blood Angels 2nd Company, Escher and Delaque gangs, Human and Skaven teams as well as games most players now have not even heard about.

Let the inner geek shine? bog off.

I'd prefer it if GW stopped trying to re invent "cannon" every couple of years.

This confused me when I got back into gaming after a looong time out. The core stuff is pretty much unchanged, but they ham-up every codex that comes out now. :rolleyes:

I still game fairly regularly but the paintiing and modelling has taken over most of the hobby time these days. Much more personally rewarding, and easier to find the time for too.

5 words.

Mat Ward and Robbin Cruddance.

Blood Angels bro-fisting necrons! Ultramarines are teh greetest!1!11!!!! :rolleyes:

Those 2 people are the reason why I've stopped playing 5th edition, and have bought 2nd edition book on eBay.

40K was never 'grim dark'. It wa satire, and a parody of 'grim-dark' sci-fi.

Case in point:

Ghazgul Thrakka, pillager of the Northern Industrial region. Full name (Ghazgul) Mag-Urk Thrakka....

The boys at Forge World still know how to write for 40K. Badab War books are excellent. As are the RPGs Fantasy Flight released.

• Supporters

To be honest, the fluff doesnt really bother me too much, it's only important in terms of how I theme my armies.

I like to mix it up a bit, armies like the orks are just satire-in-green, they really are, I just love converting them to make them look insane in the membrane.

My Black Templars just look awesome. They're meant to be religious fanatics, and they really do look the part (one of my squad leaders has ten purity seals on him), it's great, the idea of an army of hyper-technologically advanced church-nuts really appeals to me, you can just take it to extremes.

Modelling is one of those things where you make it your own, there is no right or wrong, is basically my point.

Still working on pictures of my black reach lot.

Putting together a design for an apocalypse conversion atm. I've been toying with the idea of getting a landraider, gutting it and turning it into a mobile Librarian, to a degree.

-Make it open top, section off the front to make a drivers cabin.

-Replace the front hatch and bolters with flamers and a melta.

-Replace the side hatches and turrets with something resembling stasis pods with daemonhosts in.

-Add LEDs to the pods, make them all glowy.

-Deck out the internal section that's open top with books, a table and stuff, with room for two psykers.

-Add a raised deck to the rear, extending over the open-top area, with some controls, a speaker tower, a desk with a huge book on and a librarian reading from it.

-Cover it in purity seals, scrolls etc.

Play it as a souped up psychic beacon, essentially, give it access to a ton of imperial psychic abilities, multiple per turn and just let it loose, maybe give it one ability for each crew daemonhost (the librarian kinda preaches from his little tower and compels them to do his bidding or some rubbish)...

Might be useless to play with, but will look very religious-nut...

Archived