Questionable politics and airsofters

Pupa2794

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm having, for the second time in 9 years a desire to fuck the kit off bar a western rig and a revolver and call it a day, and just make stuff. 

Z patches and Wagner patches and general bell-endery. 

I've never done camo wearing or patches or flags, I'm a former soldier and play airsoft completely apolitically. 

I just can't work out if they're edge lords or actual fucktards. 

I do theme games at a club that has a great vibe but they're few and far between.

Maybe I should do more there and a change of gear from cqb based to outdoor is on the cards. 

A few months ago a guy turned up in WW2 Nazi Germany soldiers loadout. Full on swastika on his belt and on other parts of his kit just no red armband. Problem for me is that it was a normal every day skirmish. I can understand maybe at a WW2 event but it just seems really odd and strange in my opinion to turn up like that and not feel embarrassed of even question yourself. To be fair I would like to see sites start adding regulations on this sort of thing. 

I had an interesting one pop up—a guy shows to my local field wearing full Russion kit and kaboodle.

He then starts claiming to have been in the first wave that invaded Ukraine. Speaks Russian, and makes a very convincing claim that he actually was in the first wave.

I have no clue on God’s green earth how he would’ve gotten all the way to Texas from Russia…

…but the field owner sure did kick him off whether he was pretending or not.

13 hours ago, Pupa2794 said:

I'm having, for the second time in 9 years a desire to fuck the kit off bar a western rig and a revolver and call it a day, and just make stuff. 

Z patches and Wagner patches and general bell-endery. 

I've never done camo wearing or patches or flags, I'm a former soldier and play airsoft completely apolitically. 

I just can't work out if they're edge lords or actual fucktards. 

I think they are a mixture of the two.  Unfortunately, there will always be a percentage of people in this hobby who like to create controversy or are attracted to authoritarianism.  There are also some who lack the intelligence or awareness to understand what wearing such insignia, be it Z, Wagner, SS or whatever, represents..  They are the same group who use the "It's just banter" defence.

I have only seen two or three players wearing Z or Wagner patches.  One was asked to remove a Z patch by a site owner, refused to do so and was told to leave.

Maybe you need to find a different site; however, such people are spread across airsoft and you will encounter them at most sites.  The best thing to do is to ignore them as much as possible, play your game and, if you do encounter them in the field, make sure it hurts.

Interesting topic and viewpoints.

A big part of our hobby is dress-

up, let's face it. A bit like @Skullchewer above I'm into my spaceman patches and am definitely a walty Spartan/ODST/DoomGuy/Space Marine. I've seen all kinds of loadouts on the field, including very accurate RusFor (complete with Zs etc) and SS uniforms. None of which has offended me in the slightest. That kind of thing is not for me - I'm into my own personalised look rather than accurate impressions but that's just me. If someone wants to dress up as a "baddie" that's their bag. I'll just do my thing, they do theirs, and as long as we all play fairly and have fun that's all I care for.

Must admit, I do rather like the Space Shuttle Door Gunner patch above... definitely a worthy addition to my Space Marine Beefcake shoulder armour...

Eezer G

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Imo the best way to deal with them is make sure the only attention they get is from a few extra bbs (especially to the more sensitive body parts). They're nothing more than attention whores who thrive on creating drama

The winning answer.  And given that they could go and sign up to do it for real, it's really rather pitiable that their courage only extends to make-believe.

That said...

2 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

One was asked to remove a Z patch by a site owner, refused to do so and was told to leave.

Name and praise the site? 

31 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

If we take that view, any war has its oppos and anyone can take offence at anything. Where do we stop. Germans getting offended at British D-Day kit... Yanks offended at VC loadouts... Jedi offended by Stormtroopers... Covenant airsofters disgusted by Spartan loadouts... Next we'd be banning shemaghs as the wrong colour will offend someone (a genuine cultural fopah in the Gulf but we airsofters tend to ignore it, mainly out of ignorance).

Personally, there's good taste to be accounted for, however it's still just a bit of dress-up. 

My great-grandfather fought in the Somme. Another family relative was a Jew who escaped to Scotland with his bro from Poland in 1939 when they were all getting rounded up and sent to camps. His remaining family were wiped out in the horrors that followed. Whilst I'm fully aware and appreciative of history, I'm afraid I am not offended in the slightest if someone turns up to my local field in SS kit with toy guns. Thats just me, again there's the question of what is good taste, and others may be for good reason more sensitive which regardless of my more Liberal views I do respect.

Yep, that's about right I reckon.   

I often joke about the time my brother brought his German girlfriend to our dad's house to meet the family - including my recently wedded Japanese wife.

My dad's humorous reposte to my brother and I was:  "FFS will I ever get a daughter in law not part of the axis of evil?".

Thankfully the German lass wasn't within earshot, and SWMBO's English wouldn't have computed.

It was fecking funny at the time 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Dan Robinson

4 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

If we take that view, any war has its oppos and anyone can take offence at anything. Where do we stop. Germans getting offended at British D-Day kit... Yanks offended at VC loadouts... Jedi offended by Stormtroopers... Covenant airsofters disgusted by Spartan loadouts... Next we'd be banning shemaghs as the wrong colour will offend someone (a genuine cultural fopah in the Gulf but we airsofters tend to ignore it, mainly out of ignorance).

Personally, there's good taste to be accounted for, however it's still just a bit of dress-up. 

My great-grandfather fought in the Somme. Another family relative was a Jew who escaped to Scotland with his bro from Poland in 1939 when they were all getting rounded up and sent to camps. His remaining family were wiped out in the horrors that followed. Whilst I'm fully aware and appreciative of history, I'm afraid I am not offended in the slightest if someone turns up to my local field in SS kit with toy guns. Thats just me, again there's the question of what is good taste, and others may be for good reason more sensitive which regardless of my more Liberal views I do respect.

i take the same view.

nowadays everything has the potential to offend everyone, its honestly tiring

im not offended if someone wants to wear rusfor kit or SS kit,  just as long as you arent spouting off that you were in ukraine or are out to hunt the jews...   if you do that,  then you can fuck off.  fortunately i havent seen anyone take things that far,  but i have seen many rusfor kits, one SS loadout, 2 regular german ww2 army loadouts and one modern PLA loadout,  none of which offended me as none of the wearers took things too far.

the one SS kit i saw was at one of my regular sites and the head marshall began the briefing by bringing the loadout to everyones attention and asking if anyone had any objections, and if they did then the wearer would be asked to change loadout.  no one had any objections and the games ran smoothly.

all that being said, if i see anyone in those uniforms,  then i set myself a challenge to hunt them down as priority targets.   i have yet to see anyone brave stupid enough to wear a wagner or Z patch yet though

Frankly I'm more worried about stolen valour than I am offending various political sympathies.  I might draw the line at SS and Nazi stuff, but I am not aware enough of the various military insignia to notice or be otherwise informed enough to be offended.

Edited by Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.