Steyr AUG …. But which one ?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’ve a hankering for an AUG , preferably an A2 in my life but which one ? 

of the electric AEG options which one has the best externals ? Internals (as long as standard V3 ) I’m not too fussed about as that can be sorted , but I don’t want the shell to be too flimsy , and the barrel / upper assembly rattling about . 

JG , ASG & Snow wolf seem to be the most prolific from new , but I’ve no hands on experience , are they all made by the same OEM ? 
of the JG / ASG there seems to be a sportline & proline , what are the main differences ? 

GHK GBB … what’s the crack , are they any good ? I see them pop up often secondhand but not in stock very often at U.K. retail , so is it just the same ones doing the rounds ? Or … are they all show & no go .

KWA Lithgow F90 … I’m keen on this too but not sure on KWA GBB as a whole , are the current range  reliable ?

any help & opinions appreciated to keep an aging collector happy :)

Edited by JimFromHorsham

• Supporters

@Iceniis your man for all things Aug 👍

2 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

KWA Lithgow F90 … I’m keen on this too but not sure on KWA GBB as a whole , are the current range  reliable ?

I thought I heard that they are working on an AEG version too? Could be wrong though

Classic Army also made an AUG too, but tricky to find these days. I think it was once regarded as the best of the TM Clones.

I had a JG Aug but it felt a bit creaky/cheap to me. I love an Aug but I wasn't keen on that one. I didn't realise there was a sports and pro line. My guess is I had the cheaper sports line one. 

Army armament make an Aug too. I know they are a budget brand but worth a mention.

I still exclusively use my ancient TM AUG A2 from many moons ago and I love it (has been modernised recently).

I can't speak for any of the other brands, but just wanted to drop a note to be mindful of the scope rail.  On my TM at least its a Weaver rail as opposed to picatinny.  I recently had to Dremel out an extra section to fit my most recent scope purchase.

34 minutes ago, Iceni said:

[Words]

Some good info there. The ASG Value line seems to be a compelling option for the upgraders. 

I think I've only seen two AUGs in gameplay in the last couple of years - one was the APS version (raised texturing) and the other I think was a JG with a Kythera or Mancraft HPA unit shoe-horned in (it was a mechanical unit at least).

Like G36s and UMPs, I think that AUGs as a platform deserve more love these days. 

Great info everyone , thank you very much for your input , it’s really appreciated :) 

I think the JG budget option may be the way forward to scratch the AUG shaped itch , if it persists then I may look into the GHK or upcoming KWA Lithgow some more…

however , please keep the info and experiences flowing, it’s all good info for new and old folk like me :) 

thank you :)

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

The ASG Value line seems to be a compelling option for the upgraders.

It really is. It's the fact it's a standard metal V3 gearbox, just with plastic bushings. Those bushings aren't actually that bad. I've been spouting on about budget augs and the upgrade path you can take with them for a few years, and even now it's more than relevant.

For a £110 base gun, with some decent upgrades. You can totally eclipse anything you can buy in box. And save money in the process. Externally ASG also have the trades so it's a win win IMO.

Bearings (£10), Spring (£5), Motor HT (£30). This makes a good gun. (+£45) (£155 total budget)

Additional optional upgrades - 13:1 gears s/s 2 teeth (£20), brass spring guide [not required if qc box] (£12), Silent head set POM [Element IN0810] (£15), Mosfet - whatever you want (£10 budget model), barrel (£25), Hop rubber (£10). This gives a beast mode AUG. (+£92).

So the total could be £247 for an absolute monster. There simply isn't an aug on the market that comes close to those specs. It's like a full sweetshop spec, for less than a basic TM (£260-280).

Edited by Iceni

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Iceni said:

I've written quite a bit about AUG's. However I'm out of the loop so to speak.

U still da man😉

Your post/this thread has reignited my need for another Aug, my biggest criteria is it's gotta be green, it's gotta be an A1 with the built in scope, & ideally have the newer 3 position safety, my old ca version didn't have it & the trigger drove me mad lol. 

👍

56 minutes ago, Iceni said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can just cut that 3rd position into the safe bar :D

I saw your post on this a while back.  I was gonna do it but then plumped for the more expensive option and got myself the Perun AUG ETU/mosfet.

Other than cramming the gearbox back in with the cable attachment length connected to the motor it was a breeze to fit and it shoots real nice.  But yeah, not a budget option!

KWA GBBR AUG ?

Pics from Shot Show in Las Vegas earlier this year.

Its a heavy beastie - about the same as the real Steyr AUG is.

Handles nicely and feels quite balanced.

Didn't get to shoot it at the show as at the time it was the only one they had and they were uncertain so sure abt it being used/abused.

We got told that due to a massive order by a certain country (Down Under)of 2000 units for training purposes, then european release was some way off.

Appears that BZ tactical have them though.

Now, wheres that damn winning lottery ticket 

🤣

20230118_140913.jpg

20230118_140910.jpg

20230118_140918.jpg

20230118_140904.jpg

54 minutes ago, Archer said:

KWA GBBR AUG ?

Pics from Shot Show in Las Vegas earlier this year.

Its a heavy beastie - about the same as the real Steyr AUG is.

Handles nicely and feels quite balanced.

Didn't get to shoot it at the show as at the time it was the only one they had and they were uncertain so sure abt it being used/abused.

We got told that due to a massive order by a certain country (Down Under)of 2000 units for training purposes, then european release was some way off.

Appears that BZ tactical have them though.

Now, wheres that damn winning lottery ticket 

🤣

20230118_140913.jpg

20230118_140910.jpg

20230118_140918.jpg

20230118_140904.jpg

and this is the deciding factor really ,cheap and cheerful AEG now or hold off as I think release is soon but as always it’s a new platform and do I want to be a beta tester* lol .

*probably yes 😂 

1 minute ago, JimFromHorsham said:

do I want to be a beta tester

The Aussie Army's done that job for you - they bought 2000 of the things for force-on-force training.

They look absolutely gorgeous from vids/pics i've seen, but I'm not into GBBRs so I hope that they do release an AEG version in the future.

• Supporters

To be fair, cheap doesn't have to be cheerful (aka mediocre), many of the so called "cheap" brands do a great job of flinging bb's, often with spec & results quite close to those of their ridiculously expensive brethren, as long as the budget brand has a reasonable reputation & not full of proprietary parts, you can't go wrong. 

I've spoken to an ADF chap I know who's used the F90 GBBR, first time i heard about it was about 8 months before it was announced to the world as he's been using them for the past few years.

I didn't believe him to begin with...

He says its great fun and wishes airsoft was legal there.

Genuinely cannot wait to get one, it will Tee off my AUSTEYR and ADF collection nicely.

I messaged KWA UK reference the F90 and they replied with a very loose “hopefully towards the end of the year “ and no comment on RRP yet :( 

so I think I’m going all in , a GHK for the GBB plinking fetish and a more budget friendly slow burning  AEG project for the more practical side of things :)

I will update as things arrive .

many thanks again for all who have contributed and please feel free to continue doing so 👍🏼

The KWA F90 is a thing of beauty and will now compete with the FAL, the G53, the G3, the MP5, and the L85 for a place on my Xmas list.

The bastards.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

It kept me awake all night , a quick splash of colour 🥰

400693C9-A5C1-4B6B-91C5-D7AC4820907D.thumb.jpeg.a12cc46de9c8ed08e0e115d7bee6a32a.jpeg43E3D9C5-8CBE-481C-AC44-6ECBD44C42D0.thumb.jpeg.ff22f2ba9fe272baec9b2e481ecf535d.jpeg

That's better👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.