Airsoft boots - what to buy? (Was in the 'how did your day go' thread)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As per the title, this is a continuation of the discussion in the How Did Your Day Go thread which started when I mentioned my Karrimor boots had suffered a 'disruption to the natural order' during gameplay, which had necessitated zip ties, Gorilla glue and duct tape.  That got me through the day, but has left me with either Clompy McClompy-Face boots (2.4kg of Austrian paratrooper boots - great in the mud, too heavy in the dry), or trainers (don't fancy twisting my ankle on a tree root thanks)

So I need some new boots.  Must have good ankle support, must be ok in a CQB battle area, must look vaguely military / tacti-cool, and preferably be cheap!

My awkward foot size of 9.5 length and 11 for width means I'm probably searching for a 10 Wide or 11 Standard

My shortlist looks like....

• Wellco classic jungle boot £28 brand new, available in wide, slippery soles?
  • Baltes German jungle boot, £35 grade 1, green and black for extra style points, better soles?
  • Karrimor SF full leather wet weather boot, £50 grade 1, highly recommended
  • Iturri Desert boot, £35 lightly used eBay, wide fitting, not great ankle support?
  • Iturri Wet and Cold Weather boot, full leather, highly recommended
  • Iturri Patrol boot, full leather ~£45 used on eBay
  • Viper Multi-cam Spec Ops twin zip £80
  • YDS Kestrel patrol boot, £35 grade 1

A trip to bricks-and-mortar stores has added these expensive options, which might get a look-in if I can find 'em lightl;y used on eBay, or if I win the lottery / actually get a job

• Lowa Renegade GTX (£140 on-line, £215 in-store)  - never mind the quality, feel the quality.   Super comfortable even in a size too small! 
  • Salomon Quest 4 GTX (£120 on-line, £170 in-store) - look the part, super lightweight
  • OEX (GO Outdoors / Blacks brand) Crusade Mid Height (£100-120ish?) - look good, very comfortable for my feet

(I'll try to add some links in for the best prices I can find.  It seems 10 / 11 are popular sizes so a lot of places just don't have stock)

I've just found the German jungle boots are ~2.1kg which rather surprised me, and I'm a bit concerned a lot of the other boots are going to be heavier than expected.  Maybe those expensive boots will become more attractive!   

Current front runners are the Iturri Cold and Desert boots, and the Karrimor SFs ... unless someone is going to put me off I'll probably try to find the best deal for one of those on eBay and go for it, because £35-£60 depending on condition on eBay makes them all a tempting value proposition.   
Some slightly tatty Lowa or Salomon boots at the same price might tempt me too, though.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Cool.  I don't know if you meant to add links to the shortlist.

I'll put in my boots which are the US Vietnam style.

Link to best price thanks to @Cannonfodder Wellco Peruana US Military Combat Jungle Boots - Brand New (preppersshop.co.uk)

Or the German version with better soles  German Military Jungle Boots (preppersshop.co.uk)

3 hours ago, Shamal said:

Mate don't pay a Kings ransom for boots just get some Viper v-cam double zip. Great for work,rest and play.👍

As per this reply in the other thread, KombatUK makes a version of this boot too. I picked mine up on sale for about £25 but their MSRP is usually around £40-£50. Here's a pair for £40. I've been using them for indoors play and they've very comfortable. Zero complaints about them. Not been to an outdoors site this year but I tend to use my surplus AKUs then.

Edited by MrTea

I thought those Kombat UK looked the same as the Viper ones, that's useful info, cheers 👍

I realise these aren’t on the list, and definitely don’t fall into the cheap bracket, but I have some Lowa Zephyr ahi’s (there is a Mid option) and they’re exceptionally comfortable and have stood up well to being used in the woods and in CQB.  The only thing I’d change is for them to be leather rather than suede for boggy and muddy conditions, but they’ve been excellent in the snow and the heat.

Edited by Duff Beer
I actually have Hi’s not Mid’s

I’ve got Haix combat boots, both the desert and leather type and they are great. Really comfortable and they’ve taken a lot of abuse on a farm shoot, the ones I wore Saturday are 6 years old now and still going. 

The deserts aren’t too hot in summer and the leather ones keep you feet warm and dry in winter - I’ve been in water virtually up to the tops and they don’t leak. 

Mine also came with an insole for ‘adjusting’ to half sizes. They are the best boots I’ve ever owned and if I remember correctly I think I paid about £130ish for the 2 pairs. 

They also come in a wide fitting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195803021042?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Jt4G-NuLT_K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Xa3FQbI5T1K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Genuine question: if you're going to buy boots with textile sections, why bother with the leather bits at all?  Dry use, ankle support, light weight, convenience?

giphy.gif.c2890ab490a08b24611f4b5cf95e2d19.gif

Rigidity and reinforcement of certain areas.  Textile is lighter and more supple, but would be bad for things like the heel.  I guess weight and ventilation come into it too.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Genuine question: if you're going to buy boots with textile sections, why bother with the leather bits at all?  Dry use, ankle support, light weight, convenience?

giphy.gif.c2890ab490a08b24611f4b5cf95e2d19.gif

The first iteration of canvas Nam boot was canvas plus shaped leather toe and heel for rigidity.  The leather eyelets, leather foot box, and thick heel to bridge strap was added for ankle support and to avoid foot fatigue.  In modern boots the 'canvas' is polyester or similar and quick dry and wicking.  

The leather adds strength and shape.  I succumbed to a pair of German jungle boots after finding a pair in my weird size.   They are crap on a bike though.  Your feet would be eaten by the road in a spill.

9 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Can u find a pair of reasonably priced size 13?  Can I f.... 

Dan, I've been looking at the YDS Kestrel boots, they're in stock in 10W for me, grade 1, and reviews seem positive though they're 'only' a patrol boot and thus not very 'technical' in their features.  But they're relatively lightweight (1.7kg) and reviews say they are comfortable out of the box.

And I stumbled across a pair in size 13W 😃

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325667286913

And here in standard width, in Aylesbury 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134126926082

(£50 for either pair)

Now I have had my eye on a pair of used but excellent condition Iturri Desert boots on eBay for a while. Size 10 W but the seller won't take a return, so it's a bit of a gamble they would actually fit, but there for £35.  And the listing only has another half an hour to run.

Is that a good bet, or should i keep looking for the Cold/wet Iturri, or the Karrimor SF in preference?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
10 hours ago, rj1986 said:

I recommend Oakley boots if you can find them.

I got a pair of gucci ones for my 18th birthday. I'm 37 in 6 months and apart from the toe cap needing some polish, they really are as good as new

2005 was the year when they switched from adamantium to vibranium for the soles, right?

• Supporters

Whilst i can certainly vouch for lowa's comfort and durability, and certainly feel like i've got my moneys worth out of the past ~7 years, i'm not sure they're the right choice in this case.

You've already got a set for going through the mucky stuff and i'll be honest the renegades don't grip so well on hard surfaces. Walking onto something like polished concrete with them wet is like walking on ice and even dry they're not that grippy.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Whilst i can certainly vouch for lowa's comfort and durability, and certainly feel like i've got my moneys worth out of the past ~7 years, i'm not sure they're the right choice in this case.

You've already got a set for going through the mucky stuff and i'll be honest the renegades don't grip so well on hard surfaces. Walking onto something like polished concrete with them wet is like walking on ice and even dry they're not that grippy.

Ah, ok, good info to have.  It remains to be seen exactly what surface the Spec Ops CQB site will have though

Removed

Edited by Colin Allen

Controversial opinion from a bit of a 'boot nerd' myself - I own many nice pairs of boots - issued Haix, issued Aku, Lowa mountain boots, Lowa Zephyr etc. I started playing airsoft in the lowas, and the Akus. They were absolutely fine. But after a short while i decided a) they were too expensive to be bashing around the sites i play at, and b) they were still a little heavy/clompy for the task. So i started looking for boots that were cheapish, very lightweight and flexible (i.e. more towards the trainer end of the spectrum), and still had a waterproof membrane. Settled on on some (and here is the controversial bit) Magnums. One of the newer styles, mid cut - the 'Magnum Ultima'. e.g. https://www.workwearexpress.com/magnum-ultima-6.0-waterproof-uniform-boot?vat=inc&gclid=CjwKCAjw1YCkBhAOEiwA5aN4AZpqNmycjIivW1l-om8l5ZN1k2dfF8T2IvJhf1F7quJ2AOrAX_LjwBoCF5MQAvD_BwE#205=68&93=926&fo_c=4025&fo_k=cab0fb1b55b29929c9c1f946c2ce97e5&fo_s=gplauk

I've used them for just over a year, and they have been great - both indoors and outdoors. Negatives - after about 8 months the waterproof membrane has broken down (still more protection than if it wasn't there, but water now gets through if the ground/grass is persistently wet), and the membrane is not the most breathable, so your feet get a bit sweatier than, say, in a very expensive goretex membrane (e.g. AKU's).

I think I paid £60 for my pair a year back.

4 hours ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

(i.e. more towards the trainer end of the spectrum),

Thats just reminded me - Vans now do outdoor boot/trainer things. I got a pair of MTE 2 hi tops for japan, and they were great. Did about 15 miles a day on average and they were great. Would've been ruined in normal trainers.

Something like these could be a good airsoft boot

https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/ultrarange-exo-hi-mte-2-shoes-vn0a4bvsyuu

https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/ultrarange-exo-hi-gore-tex-mte-3-shoes-vn0a5jhx77j

Edited by rj1986

Guys all these recommendations are

A) Really helpful

B) Giving me too much choice 😋

I'm going to suffer a paralysis of indecision if I'm not careful.

I think, given I've got the paratrooper boots and no one here is going to buy them off me, that desert or lightweight boots are the way to go.  That way I retain a choice of type of footwear (for different seasons)

I'm now rather regretting letting those Iturri Desert boots go this morning... £35 for some very good condition boots in 10 Wide, I can't find any similar stock at the same price point anywhere.  But I need to remind myself I'm not in a tearing hurry, a week and a half before the next skirmish, and I could wear the clod-hoppers if I need to...

I think I'll be looking at the various Haix desert boots available next...

(I'm currently watching YT videos about the history of the jungle boots, they're still in the running too!)

Edit:

I found these Bates patrol boots in my size (hopefully, that is)

£25 for a pair of very lightweight (1.2kg the pair) boots... Are they cheap because they're shit, or just not because they're not very fashionable?  At that price, for a boot that is so lightweight yet seems to be reasonably well reviewed, I might give them a go.  I'll go watch some reviews videos ...

https://goarmy.co.uk/products/bates-combat-boots-brown

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
11 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Edit:

£25 for a pair of very lightweight (1.2kg the pair) boots... Are they cheap because they're shit, or just not because they're not very fashionable?  At that price, for a boot that is so lightweight yet seems to be reasonably well reviewed, I might give them a go.  I'll go watch some reviews videos ...

They're cheap because they're surplus. Decent enough boots though.

I also have feet that are wider than they should be for length but I find that Merrell boots fit me well. I usually size up as they can be a little snug but that's me. I currently have the MOAB GTX Tactical 8" boots for airsoft and a pair of MOAB 3 GTX walking boots for general stuff.

While I agree that you don't need to spend an utter crap ton on boots, you do need to not be cheap. Object lesson - my mate Lee that recently started airsoft bought a pair of boots from Amazon for about £30 and they split across the toe after two days of airsoft. In good weather. Much like all the gucci tactical shit we convince ourselves we need because reasons, you don't NEED Lowa Zephyr GTX mids (as lovely as they are) et al unless you're doing the kind of mileage they're designed for. Of course, if you can afford them and you want them, fucking go for it!

As always - make sure you at least acknowledge the wisdom of Vimes when it comes to boots... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_theory

On 07/06/2023 at 08:18, RostokMcSpoons said:

Dan, I've been looking at the YDS Kestrel boots, they're in stock in 10W for me, grade 1, and reviews seem positive though they're 'only' a patrol boot and thus not very 'technical' in their features.  But they're relatively lightweight (1.7kg) and reviews say they are comfortable out of the box.

Don’t!  They are very old fashioned boots; awkward and uncomfortable when worn over any length of time.

12 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Guys all these recommendations are

A) Really helpful

B) Giving me too much choice 😋

I'm going to suffer a paralysis of indecision if I'm not careful.

I think, given I've got the paratrooper boots and no one here is going to buy them off me, that desert or lightweight boots are the way to go.  That way I retain a choice of type of footwear (for different seasons)

I'm now rather regretting letting those Iturri Desert boots go this morning... £35 for some very good condition boots in 10 Wide, I can't find any similar stock at the same price point anywhere.  But I need to remind myself I'm not in a tearing hurry, a week and a half before the next skirmish, and I could wear the clod-hoppers if I need to...

I think I'll be looking at the various Haix desert boots available next...

(I'm currently watching YT videos about the history of the jungle boots, they're still in the running too!)

Edit:

These are quite similar to the YDS boots; old fashioned, awkward and not particularly comfortable.

I've waxed and then schlepped around the garden and patio in The Boots Of Stomping for a while and come to the inevitable conclusion that light flexible boots are what I want next.

(The para boots actually feel a lot lighter once they're on the feet than when I'm carrying them around but they'll have me slowed down by the end of the day, I'm sure)

I'll have a look at the Merrells out there.  Thanks @Lozart

@Colin Allen which would you recommend as the best / lightest desert or brown patrol boot, given my desire for lightness?

And... at the moment I've been using a pair of old wellie boot socks, but they've worn through.  Or sports socks, which definitely aren't the best in terms of keeping my feet fresh.   Most things I've seen mention merino wool socks, Any recommendations there?  The goarmy website sells one pair for £7 where as I can get 3 pairs off Amazon for £12, is that false economy?

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

And... at the moment I've been using a pair of old wellie boot socks, but they've worn through.  Or sports socks, which definitely aren't the best in terms of keeping my feet fresh.   Most things I've seen mention merino wool socks, Any recommendations there?  The goarmy website sells one pair for £7 where as I can get 3 pairs off Amazon for £12, is that false economy?

Bridgedale Trekker socks, 1000 Mile socks or Thorlo Light Hiker socks would be my recommendation. Don't cheap out on socks, it's a false economy. If you want better pricing, get a GoOutdoors membership (like £5 a year or something) and get discount on EVERYTHING they sell.

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

@Colin Allen which would you recommend as the best / lightest desert or brown patrol boot, given my desire for lightness?

Best desert boots: Iturri, by a very long way, but they are not good in the wet without sealskinz socks.

Best patrol boots: Iturri. Light, comfortable and pretty much waterproof if treated properly with waterproofing wax.

Iturri (desert or patrol, depending on what I can find), and nice socks it is then!   Thanks chaps!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.