Newbie needing help

Moxy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone,

I went airsofting with a friend a good 8-10 years ago now when I was around 20 years old. I loved it and always wanted to get my UKARA Licence and start playing as much as I could.

Unfortunately life got in the way. I move to the US for a while then UNI and recently work have got in the way. I've finally left my job and have accepted a role that allows me to start living life again and allows me the time to do the little things I love in life!

I WANT TO START AIRSOFTING.

I know about the basics regarding equipment, how to gain a licence etc. But I'm not really familiar with any sites located around where I'm currently located. I prefer the woodland vibes rather that close range paintball style. 

I'd be looking to play in the Norfolk/Suffolk area to begin and would need to rent a gun etc to begin until i get my licence so I can buy my own equipment.

Brings me to my questions really;

- Where can I play? Cost etc?

- What's the easiest way to obtain my licence so i can start playing with my own equipment rather than renting?

- What advice would you have for a newbie like me?

I look forward to seeing all the responses... Thanks in advance everyone!

Welcome (back), have a good read through the site. Everything you asked has been discussed to death on previous threads.

Welcome (back) 😁

Check HERE for sites near you.

Then you can check reviews of particular ones

Fastest way to be UKARA registered is play 3 games at the same site.  Check if they have a time limit.

Best advice is to read everything in the forum 😀

Edited by EDcase

Welcome. First I think I should mention that there's no such thing as an airsoft licence. Site membership is what the ukara database uses, but this is not a legal requirement and other defences are available. Whether a shop or seller will accept them though is a different matter.

15 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Where can I play? Cost etc?

Have a look here

https://playairsoft.uk/

Costs will vary from site to site but usually you're looking at £20 to £35 for your game fees. Renting a gun for the day will cost more but usually comes with face protection and some bbs.

15 minutes ago, Moxy said:

What's the easiest way to obtain my licence so i can start playing with my own equipment rather than renting?

To get site membership you need to play 3 game days in a space of more than 2 months but less than 12. While there are other defences available not all shops accept them and quite a few are an absolute joke.

Most people will suggest renting first as it gives you an idea what's suitable for your needs. You don't want to spend a sizeable chunk of cash on something which is crap or you don't get on with. Yes you could sell it on but I can guarantee you won't make your money back, even more so as the gun would be a 2 tone

As others have posted, pretty much all questions you'll have have already been asked so read as much as you can on here. Personally I'd avoid advice from reddit and facebook as 99% of it is people confusing fact with opinion or just plain wrong

Everyone is sick of UKARA, and resellers are also.

I have been airsofting since before it came in and you have alot of options.

First off if you need to get equipment lots of sellers like actionhobbies accept other defenses such as a insurance email from places that insure re-enacters. The insurance is only £20 per year.

So if you can't do 3 games in 2 months that IS a valid defense that enables purchase.

You can also order from websites such as Asiaairsoft that have a disassembly option and will send your equipment in 2 packages.

If you are airsofting you are entitled to own them and have a defense.

Welcome back and I hope this helps you get up and running buddy.

:)

• Supporters
6 hours ago, navyvet86 said:

Everyone is sick of UKARA, and resellers are also.

At £300 a year (or whatever it is now) for access to a pretty simple database, I'm not surprised.  It's got that first-mover advantage though, and while retailers are getting pretty flexible, I don't see the scheme going away any time soon.

And as annoying as it is to wait those 8 weeks, and stick to one site, it's not actually the worst idea to give yourself some time to see if the euphoria and adrenaline wear off.

Once you've been doing it for a while, it does become rather a silly hoop to jump through, especially if you're promiscuous regarding sites. And one thing that particularly irks me is that you don't get a reminder email when a number is about to expire - on checking now, I've just realised that all 3 of my memberships / UKARA numbers expired in May!

6 hours ago, navyvet86 said:

First off if you need to get equipment lots of sellers like actionhobbies accept other defenses such as a insurance email from places that insure re-enacters. The insurance is only £20 per year.

Hmm, interesting, they just have a freeform text box for entering any evidence / "evidence" that you fancy providing.

Military Vehicle Trust membership is £35, I'm not aware of any cheaper reenactor scams schemes.  "Just-Cos" cosplayer "insurance" is £20 but that's not a defence, no matter how much they say "re-enactor" in the blurb.  But that's the retailer's problem, if they accept it as their defence.  Although at that point, they might as well do what Fat Bob's used to do, and just require you to click a checkbox.

While ukara certainly has its flaws imo its the best of a bad bunch. Some of the other so called defences are quite frankly taking the piss as you can sign up for them without ever playing or intending to. This has the potential for us to loose our defence (which was given on the idea we would be self policing) as all that would be needed is for a MP who is wanting to make a name for themselves or need a distraction to latch onto how a bunch of gun nut potential serial killers (because that's exactly how airsofters will be portrayed) are circumventing the law and bang goes our defence

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

bang goes our defence

Maaaaybe.  Although it's the re-enactment defence that's being abused (and the "cosplay" one is pure invention).  If we had a governing body (but we don't) then it should be arguing that the UKARA-style airsoft defence is the exemplar, and it's the the other defences that need reviewed.

8 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

This has the potential for us to loose our defence (which was given on the idea we would be self policing) as all that would be needed is for a MP who is wanting to make a name for themselves or need a distraction to latch onto how a bunch of gun nut potential serial killers (because that's exactly how airsofters will be portrayed) are circumventing the law and bang goes our defence

Airsoft would still live on. Just with neon-coloured guns.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Maaaaybe

I was thinking worst case senario hence the word potential.

While you're right in that it's the reenactment defence which is being abused, its airsofters who are abusing it. Also, unlike reenactment, airsoft is only mentioned in the accompanying notes not the act itself so it would be easier to remove our defence. 

What really gets me about the whole justcos bullshit though is that IIRC airsoftworld made a big song and dance about how they were a big part of the discussions with the HO before the act came in and now seem to be trying to get around it at every opportunity possible. Unfortunately though I get the feeling it'll only disappear if someone ends up in court and loose which would probably have other negative consequences for the game

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

While you're right in that it's the reenactment defence which is being abused, its airsofters who are abusing it.

So we assume, because we're airsofters, and it's been mentioned here in passing.  We don't know how widely it's actually being abused though, by airsofters, or others.

To be clear, I really wish that airsofters wouldn't abuse it. And "just cos" can die in a fire. I won't buy from AirsoftWorld any more because they started that nonsense. It's a deliberate attempt to bypass the VCRA, and to my mind meets the definition of fraud by false representation.  While I hope that it doesn't come to the attention of the State, I'll have zero sympathy for those engaging in it if it does.

2 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Airsoft would still live on. Just with neon-coloured guns.

True, but for many the realistic look of the guns is part of the appeal of airsoft over other similar games

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

So we assume, because we're airsofters, and it's been mentioned here in passing.  We don't know how widely it's actually being abused though, by airsofters, or others.

True but I can only go on the information available. However from what limited exposure I've had to reenactors they tend to take it far more seriously than even the most stitch counting airsofters. Also I thought reenactors also have to be part of an official group to be able to buy rifs

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

To be clear, I really wish that airsofters wouldn't abuse it. And "just cos" can die in a fire. I won't buy from AirsoftWorld any more because they started that nonsense. It's a deliberate attempt to bypass the VCRA, and to my mind meets the definition of fraud by false representation.  While I hope that it doesn't come to the attention of the State, I'll have zero sympathy for those engaging in it if it does.

Couldn't agree more.

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

However from what limited exposure I've had to reenactors they tend to take it far more seriously than even the most stitch counting airsofters.

One of the reasons that I got out of reenactment.

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

Also I thought reenactors also have to be part of an official group to be able to buy rifs

Reenactors don't have to be part of anything to buy RIFs inside the UK, nor does anyone else at least 18 years old.

This isn't on buyers: we're committing no offence. It's entirely a matter for sellers, and what they want to adduce as their defence.

I'd actually prefer if they all went down the Fat Bob route of just requiring a checkbox. That would at least be honest.

10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Reenactors don't have to be part of anything to buy RIFs inside the UK, nor does anyone else at least 18 years old.

Fair enough. Maybe there should be such a thing as an airsoft licence, but that would involve getting the civil service to actually do something 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.