More Moderators for the Forum?

Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Leo Greer said:

...imagine if they interbreed...

I think that's just an American thing  😏😜🤣

• Root Admin

Supporters can now sign up to be granted 'Spam Flagger' powers. If this doesn't get enough participants then I'll broaden who's eligible to get these.

2 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Ooof. Another morning of Spam. I've reported eveything I could find again.

Registrations are suspended but unfortunately these were accounts pending verification. There will likely be more, but I have run through the list of verifying accounts and deleted anyone overly suspicious.

23 hours ago, SBoardley said:

“New members” joined 5 minutes ago….

I believe that this is because the forum counts your sign up date/time as being from when you validated your account, not from when you actually filled out the registration form.

@L3wisD

image.png

6 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Ah, just realised , the bots are spamming all pages, then hitting the adverts 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeh - took me a little while to pick up on that too.

Good move to roll out the functionality to the Supporters - hopefully they will be able to help tackle this issue.

2 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

If we all whatsapped them, maybe it would take up enough of their time to stop annoying us? 😂

I like your thinking. I was thinking we sign them up for loads of mailing lists or put their numbers on fake tart cards

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

If we all whatsapped them, maybe it would take up enough of their time to stop annoying us? 😂

I have actually "asked"[*] them to stop spamming this tosh here, noting that they'll never get any business from it, on the basis that it can't make it any worse.

[*] Being as polite as their conduct deserves.

3 hours ago, proffrink said:

Supporters can now sign up to be granted 'Spam Flagger' powers. If this doesn't get enough participants then I'll broaden who's eligible to get these.

Registrations are suspended but unfortunately these were accounts pending verification. There will likely be more, but I have run through the list of verifying accounts and deleted anyone overly suspicious.

I believe that this is because the forum counts your sign up date/time as being from when you validated your account, not from when you actually filled out the registration form.

@L3wisD

image.png

I’m on mobile at the moment, happily sign up but can’t see how mate 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

I’m on mobile at the moment, happily sign up but can’t see how mate 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeh - I've flagged a few now. This new system seems to work quite well. 

I also try to keep an eye on members registered in the last 24 hours - I've found a few that way before they have posted, where they are clearly identifiable as a spam account - e.g. one had a bag of powder as an avatar and various overseas phone numbers in their bio.

Edited by Speedbird_666

3 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Yeh - I've flagged a few now. This new system seems to work quite well. 

I also try to keep an eye on members registered in the last 24 hours - I've found a few that way before they have posted, where they are clearly identifiable as a spam account - e.g. one had a bag of powder as an avatar and various overseas phone numbers in their bio.

Good idea on new members, how do I see them?

1 minute ago, rocketdogbert said:

Good idea on new members, how do I see them?

Click on the search (don't add any search terms in the box)

image.png.af73ad93b7e37f78c8b3a1e6e6c86084.png

Member search tab:

image.thumb.png.baf0f1460851b6c1b357b471838e3224.png

Joined in the last 24Hrs:

image.png.c137443f2ec3cab08d92db02d3616ec2.png

Then click 'Search members' button at the bottom. The results will show - and you can filter on newest first.

• Supporters

I've yet to "pop my cherry", you guys keep beating me to it. 

I wonder if this spam wave is being driven by people (who will eventually tire of getting banned instantly, and move on), or by some automated spam bot that's been set up (that never will, and will carry on until the heat death of the universe)

If it's the latter, we'll all be facing a Sisyphean task (albeit a very small rock up a very gradual incline, thanks to the easy to use method)

5 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Did I miss something?...   What new system? 

A new option to ban spammers and instantly remove their posts, available to us volunteers

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I wonder if this spam wave is being driven by people (who will eventually tire of getting banned instantly, and move on), or by some automated spam bot that's been set up (that never will, and will carry on until the heat death of the universe)

If it's the latter, we'll all be facing a Sisyphean task (albeit a very small rock up a very gradual incline, thanks to the easy to use method)

A new option to ban spammers and instantly remove their posts, available to us volunteers

It started after this scammer got rumbled

• Supporters

@Jedi_Master @proffrink, should we be considering posts such as this as spam ?, & hiding them ?.

While technically not spam it does contain items for sale that go against the forum rules, surely better to hide them before someone, potentially a youngster 👶, tries to buy it. 

24 minutes ago, Tackle said:

@Jedi_Master @proffrink, should we be considering posts such as this as spam ?, & hiding them ?.

While technically not spam it does contain items for sale that go against the forum rules, surely better to hide them before someone, potentially a youngster 👶, tries to buy it. 

IMHO - these type of adverts should be reported (through the normal reporting mechanism) for the moderators to deal with.

They can use other methods of enforcing the forums rule (i.e. issue warnings) rather than outright banning them that would occur with the spam-flag function. It might just be a genuine mistake on the part of the seller (unlikely in this instance, I know, but not impossible), with a little bit of 'education' needed to correct their actions. 

But again, that's just my opinion - the mods may feel differently. 

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

It started after this scammer got rumbled

I'm thinking he just found a way to add the site to a spammer's list.  The little shit has a lot to answer for. 
I just hope it's a spammer site where they're too stupid to have automated the process properly.

1 minute ago, Speedbird_666 said:

IMHO - these type of adverts should be reported (through the normal reporting mechanism) for the moderators to deal with.

They can use other methods of enforcing the forums rule (i.e. issue warnings) rather than outright banning them that would occur with the spam-flag function. It might just be a genuine mistake on the part of the seller (unlikely in this instance, I know, but not impossible), with a little bit of 'education' needed to correct their actions. 

But again, that's just my opinion - the mods may feel differently. 

Yeah, sorry I should have reported the ad at the same time I posted the reply to it.   I agree the ban button would have been a bit strong for a (potentially) honest mistake.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.