Retro Arms V2 split gearbox

Pollynator_bravo2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Afternoon all,

has anyone had any experience with the retro arms split v2? 
I brought one as I thought it looked a handy idea and piped it together. I’ve found though a loss on fps when I’ve investigated things there was no obvious culprit however I’ve now found the sector gear has lost a tooth. I have already set up and spaced the gears and checked the AOE and it all looked good so I’m now stuck for ideas

What's the build? If you lost a tooth on the sector that's an indicator of a serious problem--most likely dysfunctional gears or serious PME.

Standard M4 normal speed gears nothing to high speed nor torqued up. Think the ratio. Is 18:1 but not sure it was as in the mechbox. It’s had a Titan basic put in it, new tapet plate (old one snapped when separating the gearbox for fps loss investigation), new nozzle and cylinder head due to fps loss testing. That’s it though. When it was all together fps dropped from 305 to 100-120fps. I found the sector tooth broken by chance when looking to see if there was an issue with the Titan settings as it looked like it was pre cocking but it wasnt

Hmm. I would personally have a replacement sector on hand in case that one fails entirely, though you should be fine just missing one tooth as long as it's on the pickup or release and not in the middle.

Here's some possible fixes and diagnostics for your FPS issue:

I'm assuming your compression assembly all seals well? Check with the nozzle off.

It's possible that your tappet was sticking on the shims at the top of your sector gear and causing issues. Take a video into the feed tube in slow motion while dry firing and make sure the nozzle is making the full cycle. I've seen issues where the tappet catches on shims and only travels half the distance to the hop rubber, causing extremely low FPS.

Is your barrel group completely stock? I'm assuming you checked and made sure all the parts were intact already. A torn hop rubber can cause huge FPS loss.

Without the cylinder in, cycle the gearbox by hand and make sure everything is moving properly with the tappet and nozzle.

Try switching back to the stock nozzle and cylinder head, making sure to check the seal with the nozzle off. Most cylinder heads can also be "fixed" if leaky by wrapping in teflon tape. This is an obscure fix attempt, but it's possible something simply shifted out of alignment, or even your nozzle slipped off the tappet plate and replacing everything correctly will fix it.

Cheers. 
so the barrel is original but I’ve popped an omega nub and 60degree MAPLE Leaf macron bucking on it. This was before the gear box change when it was popping out around the 300 mark. I’ve started to build the old gear box back up and moved away from the retro one. It was laziness tbh as the retro one could easily take the Titan unit as it was gate ready however the old one I wasn’t sure about although it’s a King Arms so probs would of done. I had the split gb for another project previously and chose not to use it now I wish I hadn’t. The broken tooth is on the drive part of the gear not the actual cylinder loading section which I was confused with. Once I pop the old one back in I’ll check the results. The cylinder compression both with and without the nozzle is now excellent

Hmm--it could possibly be an issue with how the Retro arms gearbox aligned the nozzle to your hop unit, but at this point without further info I'd guess it's probably a subtly of installment or alignment. Put it back in the original box and let us know how it works!

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2023 at 12:32, Leo Greer said:

Hmm--it could possibly be an issue with how the Retro arms gearbox aligned the nozzle to your hop unit, but at this point without further info I'd guess it's probably a subtly of installment or alignment. Put it back in the original box and let us know how it works!

So in the end I went back to the original gear box and the issue persisted. 
however it looked like the nozzle was coming back to soon so I removed the delay chip and boom back up to fps as before. There are the odd inconsistencies but it played well on Sunday until the end of the last game when the Titan brought up a fault I’m yet to investigate but guessing it will be sensor related

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.