Best M4 choice for beginners

Dom7186

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My pal and I were thinking about getting something along the line of a "cybergun - colt m4" for out first step into the field..

However, I'm still split about which one to buy, with the best choices at the moment being the:

-M4 silent ops (metal except for stock)

-M4 silent ops (=full metal (+20€))

-M4 hawkeye (full metal)

I'lI just throw these choices out there since our coupon code is running out rather soon

Thanks Guys

I don't think I've seen an opinion on the Cybergun M4s on this forum (at least not recent enough for my dodgy memory to recall)

(Mustn't mention Double Eagles)

Is it just the Cybergun's that you have a coupon code for?   If you're mentioning Euros then presumably you're somewhere European, are you looking at a specific retailer's site? 

(Must not mention Double Eagles)

I googled the Hawkeye, that does look the best of 'em, just because it's got a MOSFET so you can run 11.1v batteries if you want.  And full metal handguards are good, if you don't mind the small amount of extra weight

Any other guns take your fancy?

(Must definitely not mention Double Eagles at all)

Phew, a whole post about M4s and I didn't mention Double Eagles once!   That's some sort of personal record!

1693226228_DoubleEagle.jpg.c9906321cd4bd0d0eb99c916a4637405.jpg

Double Eagle, some Specna, G&G (if you find a used one because brand new ones are absolutely overpriced), Saigo Defense etc. It's difficult to recommend because everyone and their mother makes one.

What's inside is more important than how it looks. 

Edited by Krisz

• Supporters
3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

just because it's got a MOSFET so you can run 11.1v batteries if you want.

Eh, you can run 11.1V without a mosfet. All a basic one is doing is protecting your trigger contacts from arcing. Those are a £5 part on an M4.

I won't break out the "all airsoft guns are basically the same" meme, but... basically, they are, within reason, especially at the low end of M4s at the moment.

Buy whatever you want, within your budget.  If you stick with airsoft, those guns will get relegated to backup/loaners, or projects for modification.

If you don't, well, you won't have spent too much on them.

No need to over-think it.

(Although the Double Eagle guns with their fire control system do make a very strong argument for themselves).

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Eh, you can run 11.1V without a mosfet. All a basic one is doing is protecting your trigger contacts from arcing. Those are a £5 part on an M4.

I won't break out the "all airsoft guns are basically the same" meme, but... basically, they are, within reason, especially at the low end of M4s at the moment.

Buy whatever you want, within your budget.  If you stick with airsoft, those guns will get relegated to backup/loaners, or projects for modification.

If you don't, well, you won't have spent too much on them.

No need to over-think it.

(Although the Double Eagle guns with their fire control system do make a very strong argument for themselves).

The first time I put an 11.1v in a non MOSFET gnu, pulled the trigger, and saw a big sparky flash, I pretty much shat myself 😂

You're absolutely right of course, the trigger contact is a dirt cheap part, but will involve cracking open the gearbox.  Which some might shy away from, so the MOSFET makes sense to have in that case

• Supporters

They do make sense... except when they don't. The X-ASR in my Specna, for example, doesn't want anything to do with running a Big Dragon M160, M130-ish spring and 11.1V - it just flashes and sulks.  This is hardly an extreme setup.  Of course, better mosfets are available, but you won't know until you know.

29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

They do make sense... except when they don't. The X-ASR in my Specna, for example, doesn't want anything to do with running a Big Dragon M160, M130-ish spring and 11.1V - it just flashes and sulks.  This is hardly an extreme setup.  Of course, better mosfets are available, but you won't know until you know.

I had the same experience with the X-ASR in the Specna I once owned. Anything other than the stock motor and it would stop working. Utter crap.

My '11.1V ready' G&G ETU Mosfet equipped RIF shat itself the very first game.  If you want an M4 swallow Combat Machine prices or buy CYMA.  

Classic Army do a nice M16 rif too.  

Double Eagle apparently do a few also...  

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters
11 hours ago, Ste Unit said:

I’m looking at getting one of these….

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-k02-assault-rifle-aeg?pv=9740

assuming these are decent enough for the price ?

I can't see how that justifies the price.  There are no features there that I'd want, other than the quick change spring, and you get that on anything down to an Edge.  It's even got an old style dial hop (that it's in a metal hop chamber is neither here nor there).

Problem is, the Specna stuff that I would recommend, with the Gate ASTER mosfets, is either out of stock, higher priced, or in a very different style.

Are you married to full metal body, and that front sight post?  If not, the Double Eagle M9XX range continues to offer decent value and features.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-assault-rifles-all?*brand=61&*inst=y

Here's mine, all metal, m906c with a more classic look

Just £189

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m906c-ar15-rifle-with-falcon-system-in-black.html

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Here's mine, all metal, m906c with a more classic look

Just £189

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/double-eagle-m906c-ar15-rifle-with-falcon-system-in-black.html

Plus, leave that in your basket for 24 hours and you may receive a 5% discount code.

On 16/05/2023 at 09:28, Rogerborg said:

I can't see how that justifies the price.  There are no features there that I'd want, other than the quick change spring, and you get that on anything down to an Edge.  It's even got an old style dial hop (that it's in a metal hop chamber is neither here nor there).

Problem is, the Specna stuff that I would recommend, with the Gate ASTER mosfets, is either out of stock, higher priced, or in a very different style.

Are you married to full metal body, and that front sight post?  If not, the Double Eagle M9XX range continues to offer decent value and features.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-assault-rifles-all?*brand=61&*inst=y

Cheers for the feedback, I have no idea what represents value as first time noobie Airsoft wise, I’ll check that link out, cheers. 

I've been thinking about getting a relatively cheap M4 as a back up and I've seen this. I've never owned a king arms gun but as they're a brand which has been around for years I assume they're half decent

https://www.justbbguns.co.uk/king-arms-m4-ris-sport-series-airsoft-gun/

8 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I've been thinking about getting a relatively cheap M4 as a back up and I've seen this. I've never owned a king arms gun but as they're a brand which has been around for years I assume they're half decent

https://www.justbbguns.co.uk/king-arms-m4-ris-sport-series-airsoft-gun/

Having seen several of King Arms 'Ultra grade' model in the 'real' at the Zero One showroom - I think would buy a Specna Flex series instead. The general fit and finish was a bit disappointing for such a well established brand.

Lonex has always been a good shout if you want a solid rifle without the modern electronic stuff. Just a very solid Nylon fibre bodied rifle. Lonex compression parts and gearboxes are great even at the lower end models. 

49 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Lonex has always been a good shout if you want a solid rifle without the modern electronic stuff. Just a very solid Nylon fibre bodied rifle. Lonex compression parts and gearboxes are great even at the lower end models. 

Yeh, I had a Lonex BO Dynamics LT595. Pretty decent.

image.png.23e818a1d0ea4d824758aa85c6845291.png

Unlike the LT595, the sportline models have a weird barrel setup - no receiver threads or 'proper' outer barrel - there's a moulded receiver extension that holds on the outer barrel via a grub screw and the rail clamps onto it. Means you are pretty much stuck with the proprietary barrel and rail system. They are also sold as Tippmann Commandos. Decent guns otherwise - I would have one.

image.png.cdb220c094339f97068cf95417103ce5.png

6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Having seen several of King Arms 'Ultra grade' model in the 'real' at the Zero One showroom - I think would buy a Specna Flex series instead. The general fit and finish was a bit disappointing for such a well established brand.

That's a shame, I've had a few mags and other accessories from King Arms over the years and never had any problems

Cybergun is pretty much hot garbage. There's a reason they litter the American eBay pages.

I know people who've had serious issues with the "Ultra Grade" models, but supposedly they started making those for Evike, and the older lines are way better. I've never gotten my hands on one of their gearboxes, but I use their parts when I have them, so I can vouch that the components in their more premium lines are very solid.

22 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

I know people who've had serious issues with the "Ultra Grade" models, but supposedly they started making those for Evike, and the older lines are way better. I've never gotten my hands on one of their gearboxes, but I use their parts when I have them, so I can vouch that the components in their more premium lines are very solid.

It's a weird one with King Arms. Their premium stuff is really nice - at least the couple of KA blasters I've had hands-on with, but in trying to compete in the low-end market, they made some epic compromises with the Ultra Grade.

Mould lines everywhere, upper receiver that bulges out in the middle,  Plastic buffer tube and charging handle etc are just the things that stuck out to me. 

I hear the Gearboxes, whilst outwardly featuring many of the same internal gubbins as their premium offerings, have nowhere near the love, attention and QA applied to them in the factory. 

The Ultra Grade platform is also used for the Tippmann Recon and some of the CAA-branded stuff from ASG. 

Oh well, I think I'll save a few more quid and get something else. It'll be interesting to see what my adhd brain thinks will be the must have gun for next month

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

It'll be interesting to see what my adhd brain thinks will be the must have gun for next month

I know where you are coming from - I get 'gun-crushes' where I try to convince myself that I NEED a particular model or platform - only to lose interest (if I buy it) or move onto the next 'cool' thing that my Ape brain wants.

I'm on a 'H&K' thing at the moment - just bought a boneyard UMP and hanker for a G36, despite owning and selling both platforms in the past.

14 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I'm on a 'H&K' thing at the moment - just bought a boneyard UMP and hanker for a G36, despite owning and selling both platforms in the past

Then you're clearly a man of taste and culture, I also have a thing for German pews. In fact one of the guns on the short list is a G3, despite owning one in the past and getting rid of it as I tend to prefer shorter guns like SMGs or carbines

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.