One thing you wish you knew coming into airsoft?

ODST

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

4 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Don't join any Facebook airsoft groups and ask for advice, it's filled with cunts 

Stay here, it's nicer

We are cunts too Jez.  Difference is we KNOW we are cunts.

22 hours ago, SBoardley said:

Don’t waste money on sniper rifles. 

Hey! xD (I do agree on this for most people though)

My answer isn't helpful because I started a long time ago and haven't actually changed much. For me it's mostly just knowledge on manufacturers that would stop being available, like Tanaka Works and Western Arms. I wish I could've bought some of their stuff while it was still sold outside of Japan...

I think for actual useful stuff it'd be that modern kit =/= good kit. My US Vietnam belt kit is amazing, but it's very much an old design; not a strip of molle in sight!

Edited by Impulse

1 hour ago, Impulse said:

but it's very much an old design; not a strip of molle in sight

Soldier 95 for me, although I do have a little of the 70's stuff around that I swear by

1 hour ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Soldier 95 for me, although I do have a little of the 70's stuff around that I swear by

Same here along with a SADF M83 chest rig. It's probably almost as old as me but in far better condition 

Use what works where and how you play.  My battle belt/webbing rig is a horrible mixed camo mutoid thing that works very well thanks.  It cost less than £20 and serves well for skirmishes and post apocalyptic games.

The solid no frills CYMAs and G&Gs do the same.  Keep it functional and simple is the essential thing.  

• Supporters
13 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

We are cunts too Jez.  Difference is we KNOW we are cunts.

There's always A.R.A.B.S. on Facebook. Mostly very self aware cunts.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

There's always A.R.A.B.S. on Facebook. Mostly very self aware cunts.

<Preach.gif>

Mostly.

I found that group was one of the worst for it with members being the exact thing it was supposed to be against, especially when a certain person got into the admin and tried to make the whole thing about themselves 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Cannonfodder said:

I found that group was one of the worst for it with members being the exact thing it was supposed to be against, especially when a certain person got into the admin and tried to make the whole thing about themselves 

Ah yes, the great @everyone tag debacle!

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Ah yes, the great @everyone tag debacle!

I don't remember that, I'm guessing it was after I left. I went not long after they brought in the 1 out 1 in rule

Still got my patch somewhere 

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
Just now, Cannonfodder said:

I don't remember that, I'm guessing it was after I left. I went not long after they brought in the 1 out 1 in rule

Yeah, it was a fairly recent straw that broke this particular camels back. 

Good eyepro, good boots, good socks, in that order.

Talk to experienced players on game days and take every piece of advice with a grain of salt. 

Above all, have fun, play your way and be honest.

On 30/03/2023 at 10:05, OTH21 said:

try different sites. 

Agreed. More than once I've had someone tell me a site is great/shit, only for me to find the opposite 

• Supporters
On 29/03/2023 at 22:36, SBoardley said:

Don’t waste money on sniper rifles. 

I made a video saying (essentially) that when starting, don't buy el-cheapo bolt-action just get a regular old AEG to have the best chance of being able to properly engage in the game.  This was around 10 years ago, maybe even more.  I still get a youtube notification every couple of months of someone being incredibly salty about it - 'wahh you said the opposite of what I did here's an insult with nothing to back up my claims'.

• 2 weeks later...

Good eye pro and footwear is infinitely more important than buying the most expensive gun you can find.

Dont go to YouTube if you want an honest gun review.

If you want to know what gun to buy, go to a good retailer and get hands on with them. Everyone can tell you what they think, but if you don’t like it it doesn’t matter how well it performs.

I know I'm late to this and it might have been said but military surplus is an absolute godsend, especially if you don't care about having the most hi-tec kit. You can easily get everything except from the gun from a surplus store; clothing, boots, carrying etc for under £100, and because it's military surplus it should last for ages.

15 hours ago, FMairsoft33 said:

should

Famous last words ... And yes a lot of my kit is 'real', there are definitely waves of quality... The 58' gear I have feels better than the couple of pouches I have from the desert/ mtp era gear. 

17 hours ago, n00b1982 said:

Dont go to YouTube if you

Yeah....I have found the really low view count reviews are more honest with actual use, so a couple of whole game days before commenting. 

Car boots for those that live outside of the big smoke.... Another excellent source of kit.

What do I wish I knew before I started (exactly a year today!)?

The sodding lottery numbers!!!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

or I can let you know this weekends numbers tomorrow night 

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 surely?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.