Ares L85A2

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Does anyone have one of these that can vouch for it?

I've heard mixed reviews but they generally seem pretty sound for the money.

I advised him to wait and get the ICS one as it had a few extra features for just another £30 but that meant waiting for it to get back in stock, so he went ahead and got this one anyway, does anyone think that decision might haunt him, or has he done the right thing?

Thought this could also just become a general discussion board for all the different SA80s out there, as I might get one if my planned purchases end up being out of stock when I come to afford them lol.

• Supporters

Oh awesome, well that's good to know.

The ICS seemed better, mainly because it cost £30 more and had an adjustable tension spring which I thought was a nice feature.

But I didn't realise the Ares was the only 1:1. I guess you wouldn't really notice until you'd held them all. People say the Ares is the most realistic as well. So I suppose he ended up doing the right thing because he's impatient and wouldn't wait for the ICS lol.

I wish my impatience made things go better rather than worse. D=

Having been given the chance to test both before I bought one, I prefer my ICS. Sure it doesn't look 100% accurate, but in 6 skirmishes I put 25K rounds down the range, and I ain't complaining.

Far easier to open up and work on (for example, cleaning) than the ARES/Star - which lots of screws to undo. ICS is simple - rear pin out, butt stock off, middle pin out, side appart. You have the gun in 2 parts, with the hopup/barrel/motor easily removable and easy to clean/replace.

ICS is about functionality and practicality. Star/ARES are about looks.

100% accurate - yeah, it may seem nice. But I promise you, from experience, only a very, very, very small number of airsofters are ever going to notice the minor external differences and actually say "that one's obviously a *insert make* SA80"

• Supporters

That's fair enough.

I don't think my brother really plans on being the one to take to it pieces if there are problems with it, he's only 15 lol.

So I'll probably end up doing it and I'm sure I'll manage, especially since I'm used to faffing with a GBBR.

What top rail does the Ares have? The gun hasn't arrived yet, I'm just thinking, when he lets me have a go with it (if ever) I'd like to put my ACOG on it somehow.

If it's not a 20mm Picatinny style rail, is there a place I can get a conversion rail, or can I replace just it with a 20mm?

Should come with a 19mm rail.

I honestly can't remember if the ARES I played with had a removable rail (G&G/Army don't, it's welded in place, ICS does they screw in/out). I know that Wolf Armouries sold the Star/ARES rail adaptor, which if memory serves me correctly simply slid over the 19mm rail (much like the planned real-steel 20mm rail update)

Failing that, RSOV have the 19mm SA80-ACOG mount for £20

I'll just reiterate the comments you always find in ARES discussions - it's ARES. It looks nice. That doesn't mean they will always work properly *cough*TAR21*cough* :rolleyes:

• Supporters

I can only find 19 or 21mm rails. Will a 20mm ACOG fit on either of those, or neither? :(

• Supporters
Neither, there is an adapter, ill find a link this evening for you.

Thanks a lot.

I just read Tisane's review of the WE version on Zeroin and now I REALLY WANT ONE AGAIN!!

Can't decide whether to get the G&G MP5 whilst I save up for it, or give up on it for now and get the G&P USMC SAM-R, 'cos at least then me and my brother can share a 10 pack of mid cap mags.

Or, just sod it all and just get the WE L85A2 and be too poor to buy anything else forever more.

• Supporters

Cheers Marksman.

I almost feel bad now...

I just opted for the G&G MP5 over the G&P SAM-R because I'm a poor sod.

Should be here tomorrow.

Please forgive me!

(G&G/Army don't, it's welded in place, ICS does they screw in/out).

Sorry, I'd like to point out that both the G&G that I owned and the AA that I still have both have removable rails, with no obvious signs of previous welds.

Not having a go, but thought I would clear that up before someone misquotes it and it spreads over the internet faster than.... Jam on toast.

Sorry, I'd like to point out that both the G&G that I owned and the AA that I still have both have removable rails, with no obvious signs of previous welds.

Not having a go, but thought I would clear that up before someone misquotes it and it spreads over the internet faster than.... Jam on toast.

No, no, that's fine, I'll gladly be corrected.

My old AA's rail was/is welded in place and had been since I got it, and a G&G that my local store used to have (before they sold it) also had it's rail welded in place, so I assumed that both companies did it. My mistake!

As I said, I can't remember if Star/ARES have removable rails, but there is the 19-20mm rail adaptor.

Archived