First Time Teching, Observations Etc.

Ebeneezer Goode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

quite a few little bits to lose. Clean, flat, well-lit work area is an absolute myst, along with little storage cups or similar for stopping all those wee bits getting lost.

1000,000,0000%  And magnets, magnets, magnets.

Its worth checking your bucking to nozzle seal, this is done by having the gearbox set such that the nozzle is in its most forward postion, then push the hop unit assy into the front of the gearbox, if you now blow into the exit end of the inner barrel it should be completely air tight.

This will highlight a poor seal between;

Bicking to barrel/hop assy

Nozzle and bucking lips

Nozzle to cyl head

Piston to cylinder

Thanks @Davegolf - in this case the leak was a loose fit between the bucking and hop unit, however I did also check the hop-to-gearbox mating as that's the next most obvious culprit for a leak. Very good point though.

And @Rogerborggood tip re: magnets!

Haven't had the V2 in my M933 apart yet but it's working fine - not going to muck about with that unless something goes awry. Only regreased the V3 box as I had it apart for investigation and although I (correctly) suspected the hop unit I wanted to check all else was OK. No stripped or damaged teeth, metal shavings etc and compression/seals all good. Certainly puts any claims to bed about APS' supposedly keech build quality, I was pleasantly surprised, gearbox seems a well built and solid unit.

On 15/03/2023 at 20:02, Ebeneezer Goode said:

There's a lot of fear around AEG internals

Yeah, it's a silly simple mechanical system.

People just need to realize it's three gears, a piston, an electrical switch of some sort and it doesn't take a degree in nuclear physics to work on it :D

I think I spent about 3 or 4 hours just trying to get the trigger spring back in place when I first took a V3 apart.  I also had a problem with the trigger shuttle container jumping out of place whenever I closed the shell.

I didn't have a quick change spring so having to deal with a lot of stored energy in the system encourages the possibility of a 'RUD'

So maybe Ebeneezer , your comparatively easy time is down to the particular components. Essentially you're quite correct, there's little in the big picture that's really all that complicated... The devil is very much in the details.

22 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

They're bastard fiddly though when you have chubby fingers, and in my case very little feeling in one thumb

Can't say I disagree, some fiddly wee bits to lose if you're careless.

21 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I think I spent about 3 or 4 hours just trying to get the trigger spring back in place when I first took a V3 apart.  I also had a problem with the trigger shuttle container jumping out of place whenever I closed the shell.

I didn't have a quick change spring so having to deal with a lot of stored energy in the system encourages the possibility of a 'RUD'

So maybe Ebeneezer , your comparatively easy time is down to the particular components. Essentially you're quite correct, there's little in the big picture that's really all that complicated... The devil is very much in the details.

Getting the trigger to seat properly in the shell to allow both sides to close properly was the most fiddly point of the whole exercise. I somehow managed to align the three gears in their bearings in the shell before slotting in the trigger and getting both sides closed with each other.

Also I have a QC spring which I'm sure makes things a lot easier. My Lancer also has the same feature.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.