NAF23 bookings are now open...

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

In case you didn't know, the bookings have been live for a couple of days now. 

This year the are open earlier than last year.

Just search for National Airsoft Festival 2023 to find.

Needs a better name, cos the abbreviation of NAF isn't really selling it ! 🤣

The heads up are for those who want to go, not those who want to wank themselves off or pull their pubes out.

All I can say is that from my experience, a good laugh, HPA players play by the rules as theres no wankers there.

Since delving into this hobby I have learnt 2 things from those that go

1. The social and those you know make the weekend 

2. The Airsofting is shit

Those people that left the toys in the car all weekend had the best time....

• Supporters

Seems to me that it's an airsoft event for people who don't really like playing airsoft.  So, basically a bunch of sweaty middle aged men desperate to hang out with other sweaty middle aged men, dress up in overpriced fetish gear, and compare piston sizes.  I'll stick to motorcycle meets for that, thanks.

11 hours ago, AirSniper said:

theres no wankers there.

😐🙂😃😄😅😆😂🤣

Don't know which NAF you're going to, but that is not the general consensus I've heard from others.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Impulse said:

Don't know which NAF you're going to, but that is not the general consensus I've heard from others.

You know the old saying: if you can't spot the sucker at the poker table, then it's you.

I suspect that can be generalised to wankers and airsoft.

Brother was gauging my interest about attending NAF in '24 (too busy for this year) and apart from trade stands, food and it being a piss-up I wasn't terribly interested. I read stories about how the queue for chono was over an hour long and the standard of play (for those who did play) was shit and not even worthwhile.

Am I pretty much in the right area?

Hey at least they chrono......

I went to a walk on day at ground zero and they didnt bother. Oddly enough myself and the guys I went there with walked off at lunchtime after "oops we've forgot the chrono, anyone got a hot gun"

"HPA players you're all set to legal fps, right" and the ever classic "your first mistake was using midcaps here".

That last one was after identifying a particularly obviously dressed player to a marshall having expended 2 mags at him at close range and been ignored (the rifle I was using at the time was notorious for being freakishly accurate and consistant, it was like a laser and at the kind of range that bbs could be seen bouncing off him).

Edited by hunter511

2 hours ago, hunter511 said:

Hey at least they chrono......

I went to a walk on day at ground zero and they didnt bother. Oddly enough myself and the guys I went there with walked off at lunchtime after "oops we've forgot the chrono, anyone got a hot gun"

"HPA players you're all set to legal fps, right" and the ever classic "your first mistake was using midcaps here".

That last one was after identifying a particularly obviously dressed player to a marshall having expended 2 mags at him at close range and been ignored (the rifle I was using at the time was notorious for being freakishly accurate and consistant, it was like a laser and at the kind of range that bbs could be seen bouncing off him).

It sounds like a great site to visit 🤮.

I went to a walk on day at ground zero and they didnt bother.

I have played GZ maybe a dozen times over the years since 2005. Never chrono'd once. Ever.

I don't play there anymore - even though it's my 'local' site 15-20mins down the road.

18 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Since delving into this hobby I have learnt 2 things from those that go

1. The social and those you know make the weekend 

2. The Airsofting is shit

Those people that left the toys in the car all weekend had the best time....

Pretty much. If I'm going to sit in a field getting pissed for the weekend then there's no way I'm paying 100 odd quid for it

That's about the standard for the NAF and it gets worse on the Sunday afternoon. A highlight for me was the kid who I shot in the chest from about 10 yards with my 8mm shotgun. He then ducked into the ferns (I could see them moving as he moved) and when he stuck his head up again I gave him the good news, at which point he started bitching about overkill.

As for the marshals, I got the impression they were more interested in struting around going look at me in my hi vis vest, I'm important than doing their job.

The last part which really put me off returning was the number of idiots walking round the safezone with a finger on the trigger and the safety off. Combine this with I hardly saw anyone actually make sure they didn't have one up the spout and I'm surprised nobody lost an eye

Edited by Cannonfodder

Portsmouth based myself, figured "fuck it a game day is better than a sunday sat round bored" turned out I was wrong.

@CannonfoddertCannonfodderthis was just a normal walk on with less people and therefore supposedly better marshall to punter ratio. My NAF stories are worse. That said all the marshalls on that day were too busy stood in a group discussin their saturday night to actually get involved in running the games.

Edited by hunter511

Well I'll put a good word in for the national Airsoft event.

I've been going there since 2016 and will go again this year(god willing)because,in my opinion, it's a good,well run event with bonuses that aren't offered at any other Airsoft venue.(correct me if I'm wrong).

It's fine if you have tried it and decided it's not your thing but if you have never gone then it's a bit like the argument along the lines of 'I hate prawns,I've never tasted one myself but a friend said they are disgusting' 

It's a good,fun getaway,in my opinion, with the chance of finding some good bargain gear. Oh and the gameplay is pretty good too 🙂

Chrono is pretty strict and diligently enforced. I have been in game checked.

Edited by Shamal
Addition

I’m intending on going

Along with at least 6-8 of my chums

Some of whom are willing to make the journey from Inverness!!

Im of the school of “suck it and see for yourself”

I might not play, I’m up for a road trip, it’s my 50th so sitting having a beer and a laugh is up my street

I’ve attended some pretty shitly run normal days, so what’s the worst that can happen? 

🤞

I've had varied experience of the games not all good and not all bad. All down to the players ime. As said I like the social and seeing old friends. Good for business for me too. Hadn't been in a while but went last year and hope to make this one.

3 hours ago, hunter511 said:

Like @Speedbird_666GZ is my local site - no more than a 5 minute drive. I've played there since 2018 when I started and, after popping my cherry at Combat South Woodland, which was run superbly, GZ was a major disappointment. 

I've never been chronoed there, ever, which is just ridiculous. I remember a couple of lads asking what time chrono was when they checked in, and the look on their faces when they were told "oh, we just spot check though the day" was a, WTF-type expression. Again, never even seen a chrono at the site, let alone any checks done in the game zone.

The site is huge but is really thick with rhododendrons, and the structures are pretty tired. To be fair maybe I'm just a bit too familiar with the site now, especially as they haven't used the better, more open areas of the site the last few times I've been. 

I have had some decent days there, but with the increased walk-on fees, the lack of cover and frequent dry-firing in the safe zone, shit facilities, increasingly dick-ish behaviour from other players (smoking weed in the car park - you're hard) and a general lack of care from the staff means I'll now only go there if I have no other options. Even then I'm likely to spend more time on the range.

As for the NAF, no thanks. The gameplay just seems to be an absolute cluster.  It also looks to be a collection of the types of players I dislike intensely, but on a much larger scale.

13 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

The site is huge but is really thick with rhododendrons

And hills.

And narrow tracks.

And the box-mag heroes that lock down said tracks from the top of the said hills who are almost completely invisible because of the said rhododendron bushes that basically stop gameplay completely dead.

I miss the Sopley Urban GZ site. Much better value in terms of trigger time, gameplay and excitement. And they were strict on the chrono too.

Good times. 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

Like @Speedbird_666GZ is my local site - no more than a 5 minute drive. I've played there since 2018 when I started and, after popping my cherry at Combat South Woodland, which was run superbly, GZ was a major disappointment. 

I've never been chronoed there, ever, which is just ridiculous. I remember a couple of lads asking what time chrono was when they checked in, and the look on their faces when they were told "oh, we just spot check though the day" was a, WTF-type expression. Again, never even seen a chrono at the site, let alone any checks done in the game zone.

The site is huge but is really thick with rhododendrons, and the structures are pretty tired. To be fair maybe I'm just a bit too familiar with the site now, especially as they haven't used the better, more open areas of the site the last few times I've been. 

I have had some decent days there, but with the increased walk-on fees, the lack of cover and frequent dry-firing in the safe zone, shit facilities, increasingly dick-ish behaviour from other players (smoking weed in the car park - you're hard) and a general lack of care from the staff means I'll now only go there if I have no other options. Even then I'm likely to spend more time on the range.

As for the NAF, no thanks. The gameplay just seems to be an absolute cluster.  It also looks to be a collection of the types of players I dislike intensely, but on a much larger scale.

I've always said, anyone who wants to open a site could learn a lot from visiting the top rated sites, copying snippets from everywhere & incorporating them in to their own business model, you mentioning CSW is a great example of such a site. 

Thing is, CSW was 140 miles away from me, the fact I'd be prepared to do those miles was testament to the knowledge I'd have a great time, hell even the food was top notch & plentiful 🐷

But GZ, no, not even if it was half the distance from me, other than its size I've yet to hear anything good about it that would change my mind. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.