Gaming Headset

sonofsammo

I've currently got the Turtle Beach Stealth 600.
I hate them. My head feels like it's being boiled in a bag and my ears feel like they're being crushed.
My son loves his, but he has a small head.
Could anyone recommend a decent headset, that can be used with PS4/5 that won't overheat my brain or crush my ears?
Oh, and decent audio performance would be good too :D

I've got a fairly big noggin (59cm) and I've had these...

Razer Blackshark v2 Pro wireless (current headset)

Logitech G533 wireless (didn't like it)

HyperX Cloud 2 wired

The Logitech was either a bit of a head clamper, or actually too loose, it's been a long time with it stuck in a box somewhere so that I can't remember which!   I didn't like the audio too much though, and the mic wasn't so good either.

The HyperX was comfortable and I really liked the sound quality.   
I very nearly bought the wireless version, but I fancied a headset with optional surround sound, so I bought Razer and the THX Spatial software for it.
I wish I'd bought the Hyper X to be honest. 

Sorry I just noticed you're after a PS5 headset, I'm on PC and not sure if they're compatible, but maybe the info will help anyway.

• Supporters

budget unspecified?

i'm currently using a set of akg702's, they're open backed so my biggest problem is determining if the background noise is from whatever game i'm playing or the neighbors having a domestic.

comfort wise they're great, no trouble wearing them for hours on end, and with my current sound setup (pc soundcard+headphone amp) the audio quality is excellent, as above i have trouble distinguishing between certain media sounds and actual real-world ambeince.

34 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

budget unspecified?

i'm currently using a set of akg702's, they're open backed so my biggest problem is determining if the background noise is from whatever game i'm playing or the neighbors having a domestic.

comfort wise they're great, no trouble wearing them for hours on end, and with my current sound setup (pc soundcard+headphone amp) the audio quality is excellent, as above i have trouble distinguishing between certain media sounds and actual real-world ambeince.

Sorry for being dim, but how do you communicate, as they don't seem to have a mic?
Cos if there's some way of adding a mic, then happy days - cos I can use my audio technica ATH AD700's, which I love...

Edited by sonofsammo

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Sorry for being dim, but how do you communicate, as they don't seem to have a mic?
Cos if there's some way of adding a mic, then happy days - cos I can use my audio technica ATH AD700's, which I love...

no apology necessary, there's no mic on the akg's they're purely audio headphones.

i get around this on pc with an external mike, afaik there are add-on mic's available but might not be so compatible with console.

50 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Antlion do add on microphones if you have a favoured pair of headphones. It's what I have on mine, albeit using 3.5mm jack. Their FAQ suggests their Modmic USB will work with PS4 (dunno about PS5). They're not cheap, but I've had no complaints about quality and must have had mine at least 5 years now.

12 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I've currently got the Turtle Beach Stealth 600.
I hate them. My head feels like it's being boiled in a bag and my ears feel like they're being crushed.
My son loves his, but he has a small head.
Could anyone recommend a decent headset, that can be used with PS4/5 that won't overheat my brain or crush my ears?
Oh, and decent audio performance would be good too :D

Well, it's either true audiophile headphone or "gamer" headphone there is no between. Budget isn't mentioned, but Beyer Dynamic, Audio Technica and similar companies in that price range make very good headphones mainly for music. Built-in microphone is more gamery thing.

Personally I use a Kingston HyperX Cloud first gen because one of the best heapdhone for that money regarding sound quality and it has a built-in mic as well.

I would defo aim for a quality stereo one and maybe just buy a separate standing mic for communication if you've got space for it.

Edited by Krisz

On 24/02/2023 at 18:11, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've got a fairly big noggin (59cm) and I've had these...

Razer Blackshark v2 Pro wireless (current headset)

Logitech G533 wireless (didn't like it)

HyperX Cloud 2 wired

The Logitech was either a bit of a head clamper, or actually too loose, it's been a long time with it stuck in a box somewhere so that I can't remember which!   I didn't like the audio too much though, and the mic wasn't so good either.

The HyperX was comfortable and I really liked the sound quality.   
I very nearly bought the wireless version, but I fancied a headset with optional surround sound, so I bought Razer and the THX Spatial software for it.
I wish I'd bought the Hyper X to be honest. 

Sorry I just noticed you're after a PS5 headset, I'm on PC and not sure if they're compatible, but maybe the info will help anyway.

I dont have much luck with headsets, they keep breaking.

The HyperX Cloud 2 - I had this, it was great, then all of a sudden it just won't charge.  Quite common

I now have the Razer Blackshark, very comfy, seems fine so far (touch wood) only gripe is wireless distance is a bit thin.

48 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

I dont have much luck with headsets, they keep breaking.

The HyperX Cloud 2 - I had this, it was great, then all of a sudden it just won't charge.  Quite common

I now have the Razer Blackshark, very comfy, seems fine so far (touch wood) only gripe is wireless distance is a bit thin.

Disappointing to hear that about the hyperx

I have the same problem with the black shark... If I'm on a meeting call I can't really leave my room and go more than a few feet from the door before I start to lose signal, where as the Logitech was brilliant... I could go  downstairs and make a cup of tea without losing the connection

I've been going through a similar issue of late, the kids and wide have swiped my headsets so I had to buy another, or try an alternative.

Sennheiser game one, game zero, both sound good and have a built in mic that mutes when lifted. They will also connect to an xbox pad and give game audio and chat via the connection in the pad. I don't know if ps5 has the connection in the pad so you'll have to check first. I've also been using gsp500 headset of late and its not bad, much more adjustment on the fit than the game zero. They breath well too if you go for the material pads and the open back.

• Head Moderator

I have had a Sennheiser GSP 500 (open acoustic) gaming headset since 2019 and it is an excellent piece of kit. It is wired and has built in microphone on a moveable boom. Works well on Discord, and simply swivel mic to up position to cut your voice comms. I wear them for hours on end and do not notice the weight. The full ear cup is comfortable, does not get too hot, and you can still hear sounds around you. I think it is a good price point at around £70

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I have the GSP550. Lovely set of cans (oo-er).

• 11 months later...

Steelseries Arctis Pro + GameDac.

Awesome headset and it also comes in a bluetooth version, if you need it to be wireless.