M4 handguards

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm thinking I'd like an alternative handguard for my Tippmann M4 v2.  I've already got two for it... a 12" m-lok aluminium which fits over the 10" barrel and makes it easy for me get the 'honey badger' look, and a short polymer guard... Which didn't quite float my boat.

I'm on the look out for a short-ish metal m-lok guard with hopefully some extra visual interest than a plain tube of rails.

I want to fit a stubby grip and probably either a suppressor or short sound amplifier, and showing some ankle (barrel). 😋

The current rails connect to the body by 6 bolts that connect into a big screw-on tube / nut.  That thing is looking a bit chewed up because I have to really tighten it very hard to get the top RIS rail and bolt holes to line up.  I don't know if this is a standard fitting or not, so some guidance would be appreciated on that

The main thing is, are there any good looking rails I can get for around £50-60 that you guys can recommend?

Edit... I've had a look at eBay and AliExpress, not much on eBay and nothing on Ali (that thing with no real steel fittings?)

Which leaves Amazon where the Trirock guards can be had in my price range.  Are they good enough?

Edit 2:

This one looks pretty much ideal, it's reasonably priced, it's on Amazon so easy to send back if I don't like it... And the barrel nut looks exactly like the one I already have, so should be compatible.

Any reason not to go for it?

TRIROCK New Clamp style 7 inches black M-LOK free float AR15 M16 M4 rifle handguard with a slant cut nose fit .223/5.56 rifles https://amzn.eu/d/5NvNQg3

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

A chap I know runs this store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/912499189

I imagine nuts are AEG spec, Tippman use real-steal / gbb thread right?

Excellent, thanks for the link!  

I don't know about the thread... I'll google it tonight (just off to play footy)

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Excellent, thanks for the link!  

I don't know about the thread... I'll google it tonight (just off to play footy)

If Tippman does use GBB threads I might have a 7" NSR rail kicking around, I'll see if i can dig it out

Edited by ak2m4

4 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

A chap I know runs this store: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/912499189

I imagine nuts are AEG spec, Tippman use real-steal / gbb thread right?

The barrel nut is one of these things, pretty sure I've seen it in image for a handguard on my travels, so I suspect it's 'generic' to some degree.
It's threaded at either end so I think it's a metric / imperial fitting.  It's the larger diameter that fits the gun.

image.png.53d28dbfe9a3387ad871c6505dcfabe7.png

It's soft metal, very chewed up because it needs a lot of torque to get it lined up on the receiver, and I'm probably using the wrong tool with it (the prev owner was an engineer, and he did most of the damage, honest!).

34.2mm exterior diameter, 

30.5mm interior diameter, 30.0mm at the other end

57mm long

My google-fu must be weak, I can't find any useful info on the M4 v2 regarding this :(

Edit: Reddit to the rescue(?)

Answers suggest it's "milspec" :)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

@ak2m4 and I have been swapping messages behind the scenes before I'd come here and seen the screenshot.   Unfortunately I'm after an m-lok rail, so I've declined, but Pete offered it to me for a very reasonable price - if anyone else is interested please contact him directly!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I bunged the polymer handguard back on, stuck a different stock on, added a stubby grip and red dot, and the key item I can fit with the shorter guard - the Novritsch suppressor.

1271922352_TippmannM4.thumb.jpg.f92e230cd547cc764fcfaf915964604c.jpg
I think it's looking alright... I'd definitely prefer two or three inches less on the handguard, and even more I'd like it to be aluminium, but it was worth digging it out of the spares box.

Indeed that would!  Thanks for the spot :)

I've just had some financial bad news though, so as it's not essential it's getting added to my future shopping list.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.