New AK firing hot

JustMark

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello gang, hopefully you can help.  Basically my LCT AKM failed it's chrono on site today which was super frustrating because it's still pretty new.  This was the first time it had been tested though.

It scored between 356 and 368 on a 0.25 with a bit of hop applied.

I assume this is the spring being too mighty?  Or is there another potential culprit?

Thanks in advance 

Yep that'll be the spring and is over 1.4 jouls so it is indeed hot. You will ned to try a weaker spring , probably M100 , or you could lop a couple of coils off the one thats in there.

5 minutes ago, JustMark said:

Thanks @Nick Gi guess i'd better figure out how to get to this quick change spring then!  Are springs springs or are some springs better than others before I go looking to aquire one?

I'd check out AK2M4, he is on here but has a site to look up. Does a good range of springs that do seem very good, I've used a few of his.

Just got finished taking it to bits, realised half way through that was entirely unnecessary, two screws, tilt the gearbox up and you can access the QC spring port...

Ho hum.  Still, makes me more confident about stripping it down in the future.

Whilst she's in bits is it worth doing anything else or I guess sensibly I should make one change at a time and see what works?

received_1150395735652204.jpeg

I would advise changing the spring, putting it back together and making sure it still works before diving into anything else 🤣. Other than getting serious and opening up the gearbox to change parts inside, the only other things you may want to look at upgrading if you aren't happy with the performance and consistency are the hop rubber and the barrel. Both of these depend on how good the stock performance is, and I am a big believer in 'if it 'aint broke don't fix it' because you are just as likely to make it worse and then have to spend ages fiddling to get it to work properly... don't ask me in how I became an expert in this.

On 21/02/2023 at 15:34, JustMark said:

OK, sound advice.  I'll fix the fps / joules thing first and then see where I think I'm at

Play a couple of games and see how it goes. As others have said the hop rubber and barrel can make a difference- although cleaning the barrel with the unjamming rod and alcohol soaked rag is a good shout as there is usually gunk in it from the factory 😳

1 hour ago, SSPKali said:

Play a couple of games and see how it goes. As others have said the hop rubber and barrel can make a difference- although cleaning the barrel with the unjamming rod and alcohol soaked rag is a good shout as there is usually gunk in it from the factory 😳

Yeah, I'll give it a clean tonight when I put it all together.  I'd been really impressed with it in the garden but that might in part have been the high FPS.  All part of the fun of owning your own I suppose.

Hi all, I just tested it with the M105 spring (AK2M4 is super fast, thanks for the recommendation @Nick G) with 0.25's and it's firing pretty consistently at just under 300 FPS / 1J.  I don't really have the space to test it for range and accuracy but at least she's legal for the field I go to now!  Everything else I've left as factory barring giving the barrel a clean.  Quite enjoyed the deconstruction / construction so I dare say I'll be back with more questions after I've given her a proper run.

Cheers for the help folks

• Supporters

Great to hear it.  1J is fine for woodland, it's more about consistency than theoretical maximum range.

And yes, teching can be fun just on its own merits.  Although it's always best to have a backup gun to hand before you open a gearbox, in case you find yourself with parts missing or "spare" afterwards. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Great to hear it.  1J is fine for woodland, it's more about consistency than theoretical maximum range.

And yes, teching can be fun just on its own merits.  Although it's always best to have a backup gun to hand before you open a gearbox, in case you find yourself with parts missing or "spare" afterwards. ;) 

Yeah, going to grab a cyma spring shotgun as a back-up for when I cause my own problems or the AK goes down.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.