AI500 Time Crisis - April 29th - 30th 2023

Impulse

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Who is ready for another round of chaos? 🙄

I might go along, as the Worthing bunch will be going and I enjoy hanging out with them. However, it's a very "maybe" thing for me at the moment, since they love to ban bolt actions, which is most of my collection and generally my favourite gats (they even 1.1J ones) and I think it might clash with some Vietnam games, which would undoubtedly be better airsoft though I don't see the date on filmsim.co.uk. We'll see, still have to announce rules and where it's actually going to be.

image.thumb.jpeg.655127adbbea837d47aa03cd0328b8ec.jpeg

Edited by Impulse

• Impulse changed the title to AI500 Time Crisis - April 29th - 30th 2023
  • Supporters

Why bother, might as well spend your money on something more enjoyable, like the clap😜

They're doing another one?! I guess they really like ai.....money. 

Seriously amazed people sign up to these still. Everytime people kick off after over the same issues and they're fobbed off and handled the same way again and again. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

Seriously amazed people sign up to these still.

bUt tHeY'Ve lIsTeNeD To tHeIr pLaYeRs aNd lEsSoNs hAvE BeEn lEaRnEd aNd iT WiLl bE DiFfErEnT NeXt tImE.

I think assuming it will be an absolute mess is a given at this point.

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, harryeu said:

After the last one its upsetting they're able to still sell out :(

Ahoy and welcome and yes.  Given that we know these turn into shitfests, I'd wonder if some (not all) folk are going to them now to have a whanger weekend where the normal rules of airsoft (starting with the first one) don't apply.  Either way, it's not something I'd rush to sign up for.

No-no-the-office GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Stop giving these cowboys money and maybe...

Just maybe they will take a moment and realise how its time to either pack up and call it a day or invest some time in money into marshalls and a decent event.

Same reason Brit Tac isnt going to see a penny from my team again. When a 3rd of one side packs up and leaves on day one. Thats a subtle indication. 

Clown Shoes GIF - Clown Shoes Clown Shoes - Discover & Share ...

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Groot said:

No-no-the-office GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Stop giving these cowboys money and maybe...

Just maybe they will take a moment and realise how its time to either pack up and call it a day or invest some time in money into marshalls and a decent event.

Same reason Brit Tac isnt going to see a penny from my team again. When a 3rd of one side packs up and leaves on day one. Thats a subtle indication. 

Clown Shoes GIF - Clown Shoes Clown Shoes - Discover & Share ...

Amen, my thoughts exactly, to emphasise it people need to vote with their feet, but some players are too dumb or naive to learn from their mistakes ☹️

images (1).png

not playing "devils advocate" but depending on the venue I would probably be interested. I've heard the horror stories so rest assured if it was total crap then i've only myself to blame.  I get the point about voting with your wallet which is fair but on the other hand there is clearly a market for this. Despite all the bad reviews, people will come back, or in my case, consider going for the first time. Why is it only ai500 securing cool places to play airsoft? Why is no other site operator communicating with developers and landowners? Is that you can only make such events economically viable if you cram as many customers as you can in? Perhaps!

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

1 hour ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

not playing "devils advocate" but depending on the venue I would probably be interested. I've heard the horror stories so rest assured if it was total crap then i've only myself to blame.  I get the point about voting with your wallet which is fair but on the other hand there is clearly a market for this. Despite all the bad reviews, people will come back, or in my case, consider going for the first time. Why is it only ai500 securing cool places to play airsoft? Why is no other site operator communicating with developers and landowners? Is that you can only make such events economically viable if you cram as many customers as you can in? Perhaps!

I think that's it. Only reason it's economically viable is because they get a few hundred players. That said, this one is going to be limited to only 300, down from the 400 of the recent events and the 500 from events years ago. The last two places (Citadel in Dover and the shopping centre in Rochdale) could not take 400 players which was what contributed to the gameplay being centred around meat grinder chokepoints (and the only way people pushed through during the Citadel at least was by charging through them in massed numbers with a few people blatantly not taking their hits).

I'm considering it because a lot of the staff from Worthing are thinking of going and are friends with the organisers (as some of them have been going to AI500 for over a decade) and I've enjoyed the previous two AIs I've been to, despite them being a bit of a shitshow, as I play differently to how most people at the events did and was able to make it enjoyable for myself. Still waiting to see the rules in full, but they say they'll be allowing bolt actions this time; I'll wait until the inevitable "only at 1.48J" they slapped on the Citadel event 😂

2 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Why is it only ai500 securing cool places to play airsoft? Why is no other site operator communicating with developers and landowners? Is that you can only make such events economically viable if you cram as many customers as you can in? Perhaps!

I think it's almost certainly down to the costs associated and the number of players needed to make it viable with using these venues and whether the venues are actually good for Airsoft. 

For anyone that did operation blue fox at the fire college, it looks like it should be awesome, crashed trains, planes, oil type platforms, industrial rigs, office buildings, replica motorways with cars etc. Play was awful due to the distances between each set area, all attack routes were via open fields with no cover, attacking areas with great cover, excellent sight lines etc.

A lot of existing Airsoft sites aren't actually big enough to host these sort of events (such as the sandpit, which is now closed). 

There's a few sites that I have the impression might be big enough but for whatever reason (probably financial) big events are being run there. Not every event provider wants to do more than provide skirmishing 

• Supporters

I wonder what the costs for one-off liability cover is for them - and whether they're actually obtaining it.  It seems likely that there would be both higher chances of injuries happening and more chance that they will be attributable to negligence, in a venue with minimal time and money invested in it.

That said, I take it on faith that my regular venues actually have cover.

26 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

That said, I take it on faith that my regular venues actually have cover.

Probably the only time you will confirm if a site actually has the proper cover is when the worst happens and you need to rely on it...

45 minutes ago, Terry_Rist said:

Probably the only time you will confirm if a site actually has the proper cover is when the worst happens and you need to rely on it...

At the last one, one of the staff went down in a nasty way so I imagine there's something? But you're totally right, something you generally don't know exists until you actually need it.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Impulse said:

one of the staff went down in a nasty way

Like, Madonna nasty?

Bad things happen, but when avoidable bad things happen due to someone else's negligence, you do want there to be pockets deep enough to pay all your bills for months, years, or indefinitely.

12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Like, Madonna nasty?

Bad things happen, but when avoidable bad things happen due to someone else's negligence, you do want there to be pockets deep enough to pay all your bills for months, years, or indefinitely.

Nah, bad accident. I wasn't around when it happened, but from what I understand a player collided with him and it messed up his knee. Had to be carted off to hospital, but to his credit he was back the next day on crutches to try and make sure the game ran okay.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.