Air leaking out the back of foster fitting

WARDY45

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

How do I stop air from escaping out the back of a foster fitting through the tubing. There’s a slight gap between the tubing and the ridge of the foster fitting which air is escaping through. I’ve thought about putting a bit of super glue on the back of the ridge to stop the tubing from slipping back but I thought I would ask on here first as I don’t want to break anything. I’m new to HPA so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Can you show us what parts and where ? 

It’s really not worth messing around with HPA so if it’s the actual hose that is failing I’d just bin it off . But if it’s a parts fitting together problem then pictures will help .

10 hours ago, WARDY45 said:

How do I stop air from escaping out the back of a foster fitting through the tubing. There’s a slight gap between the tubing and the ridge of the foster fitting which air is escaping through. I’ve thought about putting a bit of super glue on the back of the ridge to stop the tubing from slipping back but I thought I would ask on here first as I don’t want to break anything. I’m new to HPA so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Pictures would be needed

The tubing/hose is factory fitted to foster components in a number of ways which are not generally user repairable.

The Foster type of connection is metal to metal at the male/female connectors, and through the ‘working parts’ can have leaks resolved by taking apart and investigating / cleaning / replacing the seal

But the hose itself can be on the back of a Foster component in many ways including a push to fit bayonet, a more complex crimping etc 

These usually cannot be ‘repaired’ outside of a workshop which would include cutting away the hose and redoing the connection - a whole new hose will usualy be cheaper and easier

Don’t glue or wrap anything around it

Put up some pictures and arrows to the problem area

So far I’ve removed the line from the engine and tried to push the tubing towards the nut. This stopped air leaks to start with, but when I bend the tubing to run it through the pistol grip it starts to leak again.5FD9796E-AD84-46A4-82EE-AA1502B38CFD.thumb.jpeg.a70a52c8ecb90bba49eb2c92102ca20c.jpeg

It’s most likely ‘just’ the hose was originally slipped onto a nipple whilst warm and when cooled 

There should not be air getting all the way up the ‘ribbed nipple’ to arrive at the arrow mark

There won’t be much to be done other than cutting the hose shorter and making another connection - which is bound to be too short and also less likely to get a good seal 

If it’s new then go back to the retailer, the line may get exchanged 

Whats the pressure range at that point?

HPA isn’t to be sniffed at; but the ‘high’ is relative and the risks relate to the incoming and outgoing pressures.

eg airsoft / paintball cylinders fill at 3000psi or 4500psi

Have a leak at that pressure going to skin contact is nasty, and a sudden burst can send cylinders flying (there’s also something much more dangerous when shortcuts are taken when filling)

Old school cylinder regulators dropped pressure to 800psi to 850psi 

More modern ones could be half that up to around 600psi/650psi

You still don’t want that on bare skin and the cylinder can still be sent off spinning

Inline regulators then come down to the lower hundreds of psi

It still needs respect 

If it’s not new then consider buying a replacement hose or if confident about constructing a replacement hose

A potential bodge is to ‘aid it’ with some heat shrink

Cover the joint as well as you can, then warm the hose in warm water.

Press it forward and then cool it 

(The hope here is to get back to the best seal)

Make sure it’s fully dried

Get some heat shrink, long enough to go back up the hose and onto the fitting - but not so far enough to effect the join 

Gently warm the heat shrink evenly 

Note that you’re trying to hold your original hose well rather than gaining any extra seal, but the shrink helping to hold in place as you guide the hose around your RIF

(((Note that you lose any warranty and it could fail again later)))

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.