XCORTECH X3300W Tracer / Chrono / Ammo Counter / Battery warning - any good?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm rather liking the idea of this little box of tricks...
https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/xcortech-x3300w-mk2-counter-new-version-black

£99 for a suppressor  + tracer + chrono seems a good deal from the outset.

I've searched these forums and YT and can see there were complaints the PEQ box was very flimsy but otherwise it seems pretty good - what's the opinion these days?

Did the V2 bring in a better build quality, or am I going to bust it in the first skirmish? 
Do all the gizmos actually work well?

That's good to know.  The only thing is I really would like a chunkier suppressor, something a bit more Toyota Supra Coffee Can than the Austin Metro exhaust pipes all my existing ones are ;)   What diameter is this?  

I suppose I could wrap one of these on it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Tactical-Moderator-Cover-MULTICAM/dp/B07C3VV8NJ/ref=sr_1_12

to give it a bit more visual heft?

37mm its chunky enough i run it on my 416 and i like the look. the PEQ is fairly flimsy not sure how it would hold up to a BB strike. i generally have it side mounted so unlikely to get hit.

Cheers, I've got one the same diameter on my DE which I'd forgotten was chunkier as that's under a leafy sniper cover ... that's a decent size, should do nicely!

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

[W]hat's the opinion these days?

I have what I assume is a V1. I like mine plenty, especially for when I'm running a GBBR or something else with limited capacity and I don't want to run dry at a particularly inopportune moment. Some things to consider:

• I'd prefer for it to be rechargeable rather than AAs and AAAs (maybe the V2 has that) but the batteries have lasted me since I bought it, which is several years and several thousand rounds, so I can't complain too much.
  • I'd advise putting some permanent marker on the on/off button on the back, which like most tracers blips bright green every few seconds to let you know it's on, which is annoying when playing in the dark.
  • Bear in mind that the back of the suppressor is completely flat (no protruding collar) which means if there's something on your gun that protrudes near the barrel threads you might not be able to screw it all the way on. A 1" barrel extension (Guarder and doubtless numerous others sell them) will solve this issue.

[T]here were complaints the PEQ box was very flimsy but otherwise it seems pretty good [...] Did the V2 bring in a better build quality, or am I going to bust it in the first skirmish? 

The "PEQ" doesn't feel fragile; mine has presumably taken BB hits (the rest of the gun has taken plenty) and seems undamaged. I wouldn't want it to take a BB hit to the display, though - it doesn't look like it has a polycarbonate shield or anything. I should probably print one to give it a bit more protection. The display has a sunshade sort of thing with side wings that have evidently protected it so far, but if I got shot from behind it would be vulnerable.

My complaint is actually with the suppressor/tracer unit. I must have smacked the front of it on something at some point (inevitable in CQB), which dented the casing out of round and caused the front cap to pop off and disappear. Mine shipped with a spare cap, but with the dent it won't fit into place. I need to take a hammer or something and bang it back into shape, and maybe get or print one of those faux glass-breakers or something to give it a bit more protection. If you're looking to encase it in a bigger suppressor that would be an excellent way to stop this happening.

Do all the gizmos actually work well?

I haven't tried the FCU but the rest of it works just fine. I don't use the FCU and never would, I don't use any basic AEGs so all my guns stop on empty anyway. I wouldn't particularly recommend it even for basic AEGs, that kind of man-in-the-middle interrupter is never going to be ideal.

Edited by PureSilver

Thanks @PureSilver
My HK416 should be fine with the suppressor fitment.  My Tippmann has a long 'honey badger' style handguard on it now, but I think that's big enough to encompass it.
The DE will be fine.  The M14 might look a bit odd, but should accommodate it alright. My AK and M16 are in the loft, but they'll be ok.

I think my AUG would struggle though.  I'll have a play with a similar diameter plain stubby suppressor I have on my F2000, but if just one gun out of the collection is an issue, I've done pretty well.

All my AEGs will be running high caps, so not fussed about ammo-counting / burst /stop on empty with those - I'm used to testing the rattle ;) 

Pleasure, glad to help.

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I think my AUG would struggle though.

My AUG is cut down to the gas block (I have various screw-on barrel extensions) and I can confirm the "ears" of the faux gas regulator interfere with the X3300W suppressor. I got a Guarder 1" extension (I'm one of those imbeciles that has to have steel everything) and that solved the problem immediately.

That AUG looks a beauty by the way 😍

One thing I picked up from, on some of the excellent reviews on YT, is that the tracer unit is always active.

Apart from burning up the batteries a bit faster than it really needs to, it also means there's a muzzle flash which I could see in the low-light test firing.

Has anyone told either of you that they can see the flashes and it gave away your position?  I've always played woodland so tracer units are a rarity, but I played against one guy who perhaps had the full 'muzzle flame effect', and he drew more attention to himself than Miss Whiplash down at the docks...

The rest of the review comments were overwhelmingly positive though.    I'm not sure I'll spring for the full £100 for a new one, but I'll be watching the Classifieds and eBay for a cheap 'un.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

On 31/01/2023 at 00:20, RostokMcSpoons said:

That AUG looks a beauty by the way 😍

Thanks! It basically bankrupted me but at least all three configurations can keep me company in my cardboard box under a bridge.

On 31/01/2023 at 00:20, RostokMcSpoons said:

Has anyone told either of you that they can see the flashes and it gave away your position?  I've always played woodland so tracer units are a rarity, but I played against one guy who perhaps had the full 'muzzle flame effect', and he drew more attention to himself than Miss Whiplash down at the docks...

Any time a tracer unit goes off it’s going to be noticeable to people that are looking down the barrel, even without using tracer ammunition. In general people aren’t bothered about it because the bright green streaks of ammunition are already giving away their position. It sounds like the guy you were playing against had a muzzle flash or ‘spitfire’ unit - I have one of those too and it’s tons of fun with GBBRs.

I’ve never tried to use my X3300W without tracer ammunition, so I’m not sure if there’s a way to do so without the flash… Maybe the V2 can do that?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.