Running the London Marathon

ghostwalker

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The fundraising was always why I never did the London Marathon - did the Southampton one on the same day instead, less kudos but less stress too. Happy to donate a bit to help you along.

How's the training going? When you get past the 15 mile mark in your training it becomes a whole different beast and more about mental strength and the will to push yourself on.

Also:

• Don't skimp on the long run. Life happens so you won't always follow your plan, but whatever you do, make sure you do your weekly long run.
  • Fuel properly. I used gels (use whatever works for you) but it's the same as thirst, don't chase it. I had a gel every half hour with the last couple being caffeine gels - caffeine lowers your perception of effort and after three hours of running you'll take all the assistance you can get from it. Whatever you do, make sure you do the same every time, don't start something new for race day.
  • Buy more than one pair of shoes. Shoes need time to recover too and if you pound the same pair every time they'll lose their effectiveness.
  • Recover properly. Recovery's as important as the training, get 20g of protein in within 15-20 mins of finishing your run. Chicken, tuna, bars, shakes, whatever works for you .... maybe not a tuna shake though 🤢
  • Oh and have fun. 

6 weeks into the training and trying my best to keep to the plan as well as a good amount of strength training. 

I have 2 pairs of new balance 1080s one for the marathon that I am breaking in and kne for most of my long run days. I also have some more cushioned true motion aions u use for recovery runs and a pair of 361's in use for park runs as they are a trail shoe.

Experimenting with different vests and belts to make carrying some gels, hydration easier on the longer training runs.

Throw in trying salt tablets and also lucozade gels and there is a lot of experiments going on lol.

Also invested in some proper running socks, calf compression sleeves, magnesium oil spray, protein powder and a massage gun. Got to keep the doms at bay.

Sounds like you're on top of it all 👍

I'm a fan of the Science in Sport products if you fancy throwing more stuff into the experiment pot - electrolytes and energy while not needing to be washed down with a drink.

I tried a hydration pack and it rubbed, so I ended up doing (boring) loops and leaving a load of bottles on the doorstep as my hydration station as I'd be using the provided ones on the day. Did use a gel belt/number holder which was useful.

What does magnesium oil spray do? gonna have to google that.

Haven't tried the sis ones yet but on the list of things to try.

I don't mind the vest but not sure about it. I have a pretty decent karrimore belt that's got a couple of big pouches for phones, jelly babies and extra gels. Along with 2 bottle holders for 3-500ml bottles and 2 small pouches for keys or more gels. Haven't rubbed so far and that's running out to 9 miles. I know i can run to half marathon without issue as I have done that distance and also have places booked for the Chelmsford half marathon in March as a benchmark point.

Had heard from a fair few folks that magnesium oil is absorbed really easily through the skin and helps stop the doms (stiff muscles) after exercise. It seems to work though a couple of notes. Don't use too much, don't use it if you shower hot (or atleast make sure to spray the areas down with cool water) I have mistakenly done both and ended up with a mix of burning and itching sensation. Nothing too bad and it passes after a few minutes. But easily avoided.

Also. Thank you for the donation :)

Edited by ghostwalker

It’s been many many years since I’ve been doing any of that running stuff.

Back then I was able to do a warm up and would be able to keep going on water and perhaps some chocolate 

In more recent years I’ve found that if I power my body a bit better, hydrate and have some good electrolytes etc then my body isn’t broken after exercise 

……..

Onto the relevant part ….

I tended to go for SiS products, usually making up the powder drinks from either a packet or the giant buckets 

For convenience I’m more likely to use the tabs dropped into a bottle of water

Sometimes I’ll use gels for an easy booster - I prefer drinks due to the water, but gels are convenient to carry

High5 do good packs, with a range of drinks & gels with packs aimed at runners, cyclists etc

Part of the difference is the type of bottle, with a ‘running bottle’ that fits into your hand ‘better’ - but is smaller in capacity 

Have a look at your local Halfords, they will tend to have the cycle packs but have had often had discount prices 

It depends on what you prefer, but carrying gels while you run and grabbing water from ‘stations’ might work

• 2 weeks later...

Made a decision and update today in regards to the memory miles.

Instead of just writing the names on the running jersey or having a temporary tattoo. We are going to make some ribbons up with each mile/name on and attach them to the running tops with safety pins. After the marathon we will give/send them to each person who donated to the memory miles.

Have had to rest up most of this week as i pulled up with a minor strain on my calf last Sunday. Been it seems to have healed uo ok. Will be tested tomorrow at park run then a long run Monday (should be Sunday but a rare chance to go out and play airsoft has arisen)

Got into the deep and expensive world of proper hydration yesterday and I hold the youtuber Mark Lewis responsible as he shares my issues with cramping.

Counting down the days to Chelmsford half marathon as a real tester of where I am at. 

Donation made!  Good luck with it.  My eldest son does marathons and Iron Man events.  You are all bloody mad!

Cheers Colin. Is there any specific miles from the ones remaining that you would like the names put against.

I'm pretty sutra my sanity checked out of the building the minute I sent my payment to confirm the marathon place. But it's all In a good cause even if I never manage to walk properly again afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Big weekend for us both this weekend as we are running the Chelmsford Half marathon.

Distance wise im not worried as i have covered half distance a few times and ran out to 16 miles 2 weeks ago. But under 'race' conditions i know i have to resist the urge to tear off and get burnt out early or repeat my cramping issues from the run Norwich race last year.

The mrs on the other hand has this as a massive challenge. Her longest run to date is 11 miles. So shes going to have a physical and mental challenge come sunday.

I am just hoping the weather holds up and we don't get a repeat of when she ran her 1st ever 10k at Run Norwich last october where it absolutely bucketed down on us for atleast half the race.

Chelmsford half marathon completed today alongside the Mrs. I managed just under 2 hours she got back in just under 2hrs 45. Another step for us both on the journey to the London Marathon 

Screenshot_20230305_124053_Strava.jpg

20230305_121526.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last long run before London done.

This time next week I will be somewhere between the Cutty Sark and Tower Bridge.

Thanks for the support and donations so far everyone 

Screenshot_20230416_123409_Strava.jpg

Memory mile ribbons made ahead of this weekend. There are still miles left if anyone wants to dedicate a mile to a loved one.

Each sponsor will receive one of these ribbons once they are removed from our charity tops after the marathon.

20230417_152317.jpg

Nope not long at all. Have now seen this year's marathon medal. 

As of yesterday I am also down to run next years Manchester marathon 

This is about as real as it gets before the day. Just watching the weather forecast like its an international sport. Seen everything from 20 degrees and dry through to 10 degrees and heavy rain.

It have a laugh. If you think airsoft od expensive. We went through £200 at the marathon expo last night on not very much.

received_791008505481581.jpeg

17 minutes ago, ghostwalker said:

This is about as real as it gets before the day. Just watching the weather forecast like its an international sport. Seen everything from 20 degrees and dry through to 10 degrees and heavy rain.

It have a laugh. If you think airsoft od expensive. We went through £200 at the marathon expo last night on not very much.

received_791008505481581.jpeg

Good luck tomorrow!

The xr hippies have pledged to protect the marathon. It's 'just stop pil' that havr threatened to interrupt it and ignore gets in my way they will just get run over. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.