Low Temperature Storage

jonesy17

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Does anyone keep their RIFs in a room with fluctuating temperatures, or have any experience of the impacts of doing so?

I have my detached garage half converted, plastered and insulated. However it is heated by an oil radiator which is only on when I'm in the garage, maybe once a week for a few hours. Over these sort of months the garage temperature can get down to close to freezing. 

I do however have a little dehumidifier in there which I can set on a timer to keep humidity low. 

I'm hoping to get a peg board on the wall to put the RIFs on show, but im a bit concerned that the low temperatures will not be good for the RIFs. I've currently got them stored out there but sealed in a hard case. 

Anyone got a similar setup with similar fluctuating temperatures?

Thanks. 

Condensation kills most kit.  Cold reduces the performance of batteries.  

Cold but dry is key when I'm away at winter games for a weekend.   Keep your lipos warm indoors and don't put anything away without a thorough dry.  Your better of with them on display than risking unseen dampness in a sealed hard case.  

Cold rifs just need a few shots to soften the hop rubber as long as you've kept the batteries warm.   

Brilliant, thank you! I'm keeping all of the batteries in the house as I don't want to risk those. The same with my gas mags for my HiCapa. 

But I will set up my dehumidifier to be on a schedule each day and keep an eye on my humidifier sensor I have out there to see how stable that keeps humidity. Ifnindont use the dehumidifier it can get to 70%. 

That being said I've got guitars and other bits out there that seem to have survived the last couple of years. 

You could also buy generic dehumidifier bags from amazon and bang them in the case/bag.

BZTactical have recently began stocking dehumidifier stones that sit in your gun bag/case but they come with a big mark up.

Edited by MrTea

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.