Mechanix gloves : M-Pact vs Fast Fit

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As I'm actually booked in to a skirmish I've decided I should make sure my gear is up-to-snuff.

I'm currently rockin' a pair of cheapo Chinese multi-cam gloves that are a little small.  I've had my eye on Mechanix forever, and should've bought a pair from the outset, so now's the time to do it, I reckon.

So which to get?  As I have "L"arge hands the price gap on Amazon between the two is smaller than I would have expected - it's £22 vs £30.  
I fancy the idea of the M-Pact in case I play some CQB (or just get shot at close range by someone cheating the fps limits), but also fancy the dexterity of the Fast Fits.  
If anyone has experience of both - which is better?   (And is there anywhere better (cheaper) than Amazon to get 'em?)

Edit: eBay.  eBay is cheaper... £15 for the fast-fits, but still £30 for the m-pacts

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I run fast fits pretty much all the time, it stings but nothing unbearable (actually using Mechanix Vent ATM). I've had some m-pacts and don't find the protection obstructive or annoying, but fast fits are just more simple easy to chuck on and off.

If I was running cqb all the time I'd probably be taking the m-pacts though. Fwiw I've never paid more than £16 for fastfits, and although they don't fall apart, they're not the strongest pair of gloves in the world (same goes for the m-pacts tbf)

I'd recommend the fast fit, they seems to give me better dexterity and while they don't quite have the padding for the knuckle shots in comparison to the mpacts, it's enough to take the majority of the sting out of them. 

Gloves for me have to allow me to retain dexterity, I hate having to take them off to do things, put them back on etc and I find I have to do that less with the originals (fast fit are similar in feel on the hand area) mechanix than I did with the mpacts. 

The fast fit (and originals) I find have enough padding to do the job, any more and it tends to get in the way, though the extra padding seems sensible if you haven't had them before.

• Supporters

I find them all comfortable as they fit my hand shape well, Fast Fits have a thinner palm than Originals or M-Pacts (as evidenced by the hole in the palm of mine from a smoke grenade). Velcro on the Originals etc can be a pain in the dick but it's velcro and they all get buggered up sooner or later. For most frequent use I run a set of Originals, for CQB stuff I have a pair of M-Pact 3 ones with the rubber knuckles. None of them are all that expensive so get both if you can.

I also have a pair of the Original Insulated ones for winter use that usually live in my coat pocket for dog walking, a pair of the fast fit waterproof ones that seem to have used a different pattern than all my others because the fingers are definitely longer and a pair of the Windproof ones which are toasty as fuck but about as dextrous as wearing cardboard gauntlets. My wife also has a pair of the Mechanix ladies gardening gloves!

Coolio, a pair of Fast Fits it is then!
Checking the glove-sizing chart on eBay, it seems I'm a "L"arge, for width, but a "M"edium for length  (oooooh Matron etc).  Should I go for snug-fit? Do they stretch out at all?   I guess at this price it's no great worry either way...

@Lozart do you have shares in the company? Sounds like you ought to ;)

Like you I always used the cheap chinese gloves till I picked up a set of the fast fit gloves last year and they've definitely lasted way longer. Here's what they look like nowDSC_0023.thumb.JPG.2a1ba78583dc6c8218bff2e8d9226918.JPG

DSC_0024.thumb.JPG.593d6812cc64e01a2f01db4a85437fb6.JPG

Considering I use them most days for cycling to work most days I think they're in pretty good condition. 

As for protection from hits, you'll certainly feel them but they do take the sting off

• Supporters
6 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Coolio, a pair of Fast Fits it is then!
Checking the glove-sizing chart on eBay, it seems I'm a "L"arge, for width, but a "M"edium for length  (oooooh Matron etc).  Should I go for snug-fit? Do they stretch out at all?   I guess at this price it's no great worry either way...

@Lozart do you have shares in the company? Sounds like you ought to ;)

I'd go for snug. There's quite a lot of give in the material part across the back. Personally I find nothing worse than the tips of the fingers on my gloves folding over. I have big hands but short fingers.

Awww crap, I've already ordered them in Large.   I might have gone for Medium if I'd seen this. 
Oh well, returns policy should cover me if need be... but I do have long "pianist's"* fingers so hopefully it'll be fine.

* Can't play the bloody piano though.

You could consider German military leather gloves.  The sizing is very accurate if you measure your hands.  If you wear them for a couple of days after soaking them in leather food they fit like a second skin.  I wear them for themed games.   About a tenner IIRC.   

• Supporters
12 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Awww crap, I've already ordered them in Large.   I might have gone for Medium if I'd seen this. 
Oh well, returns policy should cover me if need be... but I do have long "pianist's"* fingers so hopefully it'll be fine.

* Can't play the bloody piano though.

According to my father I have "Butchers hands". Not sure if he meant Pat Butcher or the guy with the meat cleaver but there you go!

11 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

You could consider German military leather gloves.  The sizing is very accurate if you measure your hands.  If you wear them for a couple of days after soaking them in leather food they fit like a second skin.  I wear them for themed games.   About a tenner IIRC.   

Had a quick look, I've already got a pair of lined leather gloves that I've used in super-cold weather for airsoft that look very similar- so thanks, I've got that covered I think :)

54 minutes ago, Lozart said:

According to my father I have "Butchers hands". Not sure if he meant Pat Butcher or the guy with the meat cleaver but there you go!

Well the giveaway would be if you've got big dangly earrings  - are they made of fake gold, or sheep's intestines... ?

M-pacts have been great for me. The armour on them are great. Dexterity hasn't been an issue for me. The forefinger is armour less which makes getting on the trigger no problem. I paid 15 on amazon for them in medium. Not sure if that was a sale or regular price. No experience with others so can't comment there, but haven't felt the need for anything else.

• Supporters

Mmm, belatedly, I'd also recommend M-Pacts.  I cheap out on most things, but after getting some nail-wreckers in CQB from HPA guns that definitely weren't shooting hot or heavy, I splurged some Bezos Bucks on M-Pacts.  Yes, very much like.  A great blend of protection, and easy finger banging, they almost seem designed for shooty-ouchy sports.

Woodland, meh, anything works there.

Hah, too late, my Fast Fits have just arrived.

And with the news that the Special Ops new CQB site - currently referred to as "The Barn" - is going ahead. maybe I should swap 'em for the M-Pacts.  

I did at least get the right size. 
Unlike the British Army "crap hat" that I just got off eBay.  Turns out measuring your own head must be harder than it looks, I think I was out by 2cm too big.   My head isn't quite as huge as I thought, just still a bit square ;)

The first pair of gloves I bought were Fast Fits, and bloody good they were too. However, after taking a shot to the knuckle, followed immediately by one to the nail, i opted for M-Pacts, and have used them ever since.

I have hands like shovels, so wear XL. They're a good, snug fit, and the rubber offers a good amount of protection without compromising dexterity. I have three pairs in different colours, and have just bought another pair for my son.

You won't regret your Fast Fits...but consider adding some M-Pacts too.

Ok got a pair of each in (on!) my hands...  my initial observations are:

• Both pairs seem to be really well made and look goooooood, so much more impressive than the cheap Chinese ones I'd bought on-site.
  • The Fast Fits feel noticeably thinner and lighter, and therefore indeed more flexible.  They still substantial enough to reduce the pain from impact though.
  • The M-Pacts have really impressive protection across the back of the hand, and right down to the ends of each finger (trigger fingers excepted... It'll be just my luck to get a bad hit on my left hand's index finger!)

I got the right size (Large) and both fit the same, but each has a tiny annoyance... 

• Both pairs have a seam inside the end of each finger that's quite pronounced, so hitting those seams with the fingertips (especially the trigger finger) is the dominant sensation.  It's a stronger sensation in the Fast Fits, surprisingly.
  • The M-Pacts have an extra layer of wear-protection leather on the palm but this bunches-up when gripping, so there's less direct contact from hand to the gun - a little less feel in that part of the grip.  That's probably not very important tbqh.

Both those annoyances will probably ease after some wear out in the field, or a turn through the washing machine, as the fabric breaks-in. 

£45 got me two very good pairs of gloves, that will probably last me until I give up airsoft, and will cover me for both outdoor and CQB.
Thanks all for your valuable input :)

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

adam-sessler-adam-sessler-clapping.gif.8dda6e726cff57cfd56a669c95af8abc.gif

Admittedly, not the best dit I've ever spun. Next time I'll add dragons 😆

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.