Selling a complete pistol lower or upper

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Am I right in thinking that UKARA or any other defence would not be required by the seller from a buyer provided the upper and lower were sold separately, and to different people?

I know that parts can be sold to people without a defence,  but would what is effectively  half a pistol be legally regarded as parts?

Edited by emilianoksa

It's only a RIF if it

'has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm;'

Parts do not meet this, so are not covered (I have a vague recollection of something referring directly to parts too, but can't find it rn).

Selling parts to different people is fine, and doesn't need a defence.

Edited by mp5a4

7 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Am I right in thinking that UKARA or any other defence would not be required by the seller from a buyer provided the upper and lower were sold separately, and to different people?

I know that parts can be sold to people without a defence,  but would what is effectively  half a pistol be legally regarded as parts?

I would be suspicious on the wording of the question, if it had been worded about selling the parts of a pistol then I would be less suspicious, but asking about selling in two halves sounds like an intent to work around the law, such as selling to two people who are going to reassemble back into the one piece.

This is similar to the old Hong Kong sellers that would send RIFs in multiple packages to smuggle through customs to evade both VCRA and import duty

Truely separate sales would just be parts.

………..

However the work around may not be required in the first place.

UKARA is just an extension of site memberships as a method to document a buyers intent to use a RIF for airsoft skirmishing and to protect the retail industry from the VCRA

As seller it is up to you about what you accept as the buyers intention to play airsoft rather than chav activities 

• Supporters

Is this a serious thread?

If you're not selling a (whole, complete) realistic imitation firearm, then no offence is being committed.

If you are selling a (whole, complete) realistic imitation firearm, then technically an offence may be being committed, but nobody will ever care.

Is this a real concern for you?

1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

I am not trying to get round the VCR.  

I wouldn't necessarily sell both parts - for example maybe just an upper which I had replaced with custom parts.

If you’ve customised and replaced a compete upper or lower then you will have bought parts and would be selling parts - not selling a complete pistol in two halves

You wouldn’t need a VCRA defence to purchase the parts, and again wouldn’t need to ensure your buyer had a VCRA defence to sell the old parts

Unless you have upgraded triggers RIF replacing every component and resulted in a complete set of spare components 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.